2008 Cadetship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Cadetship

Why is there no Air Corps Cadetship competition this year?

They have enough pilots as it is.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Is this true? I was actually going to apply for it this year and was wondering why I had heard nothing about it this year yet? It was the first year I was going to do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose View Post
        Is this true?
        That's what I heard.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Read the booklet on military.ie there is no Air Corps pilots competition this year.

Comment

I was on military.ie after I saw it mentioned here and noticed the lack of an Air Corp link. Ah well, maybe next year they'll have it again. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Actually it's not that they have their requirement of pilots. The person I was talking to is actually the person who made the decision not to run the competition.

They do not have enough pilots. But more pressingly and importantly, they do not have enough instructors. As a result of the second statement, the current 2 classes are behind schedule on their training and it's causing major headaches. So this year, instead of adding to the problem, they are running more instructors courses to get people qualified to instruct. The competition SHOULD be back next year.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Thanks johnny no stars, good contacts and good info. A year now to think about it more and prepare.

Comment

Feel sorry for anyone thinking of applying who'd end up too old next year.

Ah well, Cityjet and some Irish flight school are offering a "cadet" programme of sorts, if you've access to a spare 95,000 yoyos.......
                  If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

Yeah that would really suck being over age for next year!!
                    Do you guys think they will be making up for it next year and taking on more than usual?

Comment

hi there
                      The Air Corps' idea of not having enough pilots does not equate with reality.It never has.If they paid more attention to the appalling failure rate of cadets, then they'd have enough new blood to keep instructor manning levels up. Accepting a pass rate of less than 40 % is a joke...For years, when it suited them, they always had enough pilots to allow a chosen few not to fly aircraft and fly desks instead.Also, when it suited them to make a claim for pay parity with civivie pilots, they pulled the same wasters back off the desks and back into flying suits.When an Air Corps pilot is flying 900 hrs a year, like his civvie equivalent, then they can complain about lack of numbers, but until then...
                      regards
                      GttC

Comment

Unless your comments relate to Air Corp cadetships do not post here.

Comment

Remember the AC instructors also have to be trained on the new equipment the AC has got in the last few years. That could be part of the reason.

Comment

Johnny no stars,

The reasons for no air corps cadetship this year is a little more complex than what you are being led to believe. Did this person tell you he made the decision? Sounds more than a little fishy to me! The length of the cadetship is not the problem, this is now the reality in post marchetti days.
                            The flying course is, I believe, much more complex and being flown on a more advanced aircraft demanding more from all involved. It is not the case that the course will continue to take longer and longer each year, this is just the norm and is much more on a par with accepted European wings courses, some lasting up to 5 years.

GttC,

You obviously sound like a disgruntled ex-er who now works in the civil sector and believes he knows it all. Your figures sound like you are plucking them from thin air. 900 hrs per year in civilian flying, yes of course that is true. 900 hrs in military flying is rediculous and you know it. A cursory look across the water to the RAF would see that the average pilot in her majesty's service would let you know that they fly between 180-240hrs per year.

Comment

watcher, where are you getting your info from? I know for a fact that the guy is kosher but damned if i'm telling you who he is.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
                              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
                              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
                              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

Working...
                              X