PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Drill is just fun - rollover training

ARNGScout
4th February 2008, 15:49
This is what we did at the weekend - (this is not us) and the drill has changed - priority on exiting is security. Let me say that hanging upside down and then dropping to the roof of the vehicle is very disorienting - but it was great training and we're all certified to run this trainer. Add to that a promotion to SFC and not a bad drill weekend as weekends go.

<object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gENgmhDmIAE&rel=1&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gENgmhDmIAE&rel=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/v/gENgmhDmIAE&rel=1&border=1

Sorry - I don't know how to embed the youtube clips.

{MOD: Simple: Just copy the 'Embed' link on the right hand side of the video page and paste into your post. Done and dusted!}

MOD: ReEdit. Perhaps not so simple! LOL (Html Code turned off)

WES
4th February 2008, 15:58
Add to that a promotion to SFC and not a bad drill weekend as weekends go.

Congratulations.

spudula
4th February 2008, 18:37
Whoopy do. so what?????

I painted my garden shed at the weekend!!!!!!!

Whts this got to do with the IRISH DEFENCE FORCES???????????????

Goldie fish
4th February 2008, 22:03
Whoopy do. so what?????

This is the AFV section. That looked like an afv simulator.

hedgehog
4th February 2008, 22:09
Whoopy do. so what?????

Dont mind him ARNG Scout

he is a (I cant call him a clown because last time I called someone a clown I got red carded so I am not calling him a clown)

I was interested in your link and congrats on the promotion

Spudula @@@@ cker @@@@ &&&&&

spudula
4th February 2008, 23:18

Must remember that one!!!!!

And for what its worth, when I first saw the post it was in the ARMY section. not this one.

turbocalves
4th February 2008, 23:59
Whoopy do. so what?????

someone has sand in his ladygarden......

P.s there is an "A" in whats

ex pat 007
5th February 2008, 01:45
And for what its worth, when I first saw the post it was in the ARMY section. not this one.

Its worth Jack and Sh!t. But you already knew that.

Congrats on the Promotion, the active E-7 board just convened so Ive got my fingers crossed and Mammy said she and the gals from the legion of Mary will do a Novena for me.:biggrin:

ZULU
5th February 2008, 13:22
Add to that a promotion to SFC and not a bad drill weekend as weekends go.

Congratulations!

hedgehog
5th February 2008, 18:10
Must remember that one!!!!!

so what

or are you making excuses for you lack of basic manners,

prove me wrong and apoligise to AR and congragulate him on his promotion

California Tanker
5th February 2008, 18:24
Congrats on the Promotion, the active E-7 board just convened so Ive got my fingers crossed and Mammy said she and the gals from the legion of Mary will do a Novena for me.:biggrin:

Don't hold your breath. The O-3 board met first week of November, I'm still waiting.

I'm not looking forward to going to the Captain's Course as an O-2.

NTM

rod and serpent
5th February 2008, 23:26
Well done that man:smile:

ARNGScout
6th February 2008, 19:19
Thanks all - Posted it in the Army section as I didn't think that people would get their knickers in a twist if it was mis-posted - besides I knew the Mods would move it if necessary - that's what they get the big bucks for.

Ex-Pat - I thought you were an officer - figured I was the only enlisted state-side - good luck with the board - didn't have to do one - not done anymore here - the state uses the STPA list, which I'm not sure I like but I guess it worked out for me.

irishrgr
7th February 2008, 00:14
Well done on the promotion. As for Cal tank, hang in there, it will happen, I had to learn to be patient. If you can figure out what your board is, you can look up the date they will post it on the web at the Human Resources Command (HRC) site. I did it, se the alarm for 0500 local time, got up say my name on the list, woke the missus to tell her the good news and was promply told "Congratulations CPT, now piss off and go back to sleep, it's too f&%king early for this Army siht!!!!". Gotta love it.

Besides the roll over trainer looks lke fun........

A

Darksaga
7th February 2008, 04:50
well done ARNGScout, ya make life a little less boring and resentful!

:wink:

I dont get it hedge.???

ARNGScout
7th February 2008, 16:03
The rollover trainer was excellent fun and great training but it taught me that I never want to do it for real. If any of your units get access to this trainer its great because you can run many scenarios other that OK you're upside down now get out!

luchi
7th February 2008, 17:31
The rollover trainer was excellent fun and great training but it taught me that I never want to do it for real. If any of your units get access to this trainer its great because you can run many scenarios other that OK you're upside down now get out!

We might.

There are new regs for commercial drivers requiring the use of simulators to improve road safety. We may just have to follow suit but at the speed things happen it will probably take about 20 years!!!!

ARNGScout
8th February 2008, 15:14
One of the big reasons for this was that the combat loads on regular hummers and the armored humours has meant that the center of gravity has shifted and they are more prone to rolloevers - hence the need for the rollover trainer.

luchi
8th February 2008, 15:38
Sone questions
I assume that vehicles get rolled other than on op duties. Do they do the sim with and with out kit?

In the sim and in real situations people strapped in?

Is it harnest or seat belts?

ARNGScout
8th February 2008, 21:24
I assume they do but the number of rollovers greatly increased on operations due to the weight shift etc.

Min requirement for the trainer is kevlar, vest, gloves, elbow and knee pads and eye protection. They provide dummy weapons. Students that were using it right before we did were getting ready for deployment and they were loaded for bear - full combat kit.

The humvee is full of foam equipment - so there are ammo cans, fire extinguisher, radio, and all the other stuff that can be in the vehicle - if you don't secure it - it goes flying. Controller can see inside via two cameras and can hear everything - bad-mouthing the operator ensures the spin-cycle setting.

Driver and passengers wear seat belts (two into a single release). Gunner wears a harness and is anchored into Humvee (due to many of them being catapulted out), but I've heard some gunners don't like the restrictions - definite trade off.

ex pat 007
8th February 2008, 22:27
Ex-Pat - I thought you were an officer - figured I was the only enlisted state-side - good luck with the board - didn't have to do one - not done anymore here - the state uses the STPA list, which I'm not sure I like but I guess it worked out for me.

While I may be dashing with an extensive list of universities attended (I have not graduated from) I fear I may have let Mam down by remaining in the Other ranks. I will be dropping a warrant packet in a year or two.

The board ends beginning of march and I should find out mid march heres hoping:biggrin:

ARNGScout
11th February 2008, 15:48
Good luck with the board. What type of position as a warrant?