PDA

View Full Version : Joining the PDF (Advice etc)

thomashood10
23rd April 2008, 19:30
Hey,

Recently I've just finished passing the medicals, interview, and fitness test to get into the PDF. From what I've heard we'll begin training in the middle of May.

I spent only about 2 years in the reserve. I really loved it, and have fond memories of the camps I went on, and the people I got to know. (I was on last years summer recruit camp) But unfortunately I've grown a bit rusty since then.

I started looking over a few of my old notes, and obviously I've been out training everyday for a couple of months now to try and keep my fitness up (2 blisters so far).

I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"

Any advice is helpful.

Goldie fish
23rd April 2008, 19:44
Have a look in the recruit depot forum. Its in General.

Bam Bam
23rd April 2008, 21:51
5 words.

"Good luck and have fun".

hptmurphy
23rd April 2008, 21:56
As was said to me many years ago..two basic rules in the DF..keep your nose and your boots clean!

HavocIRL
23rd April 2008, 22:15
I thought I'd come on here and ask yknow "What would you guys say to a recruit going into PDF training in a couple of weeks?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA

fred the red
24th April 2008, 01:32
Go for it lad enjoy.

And it wont last forever.:biggrin:

cooley
24th April 2008, 19:10
It can be hard sometimes but keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. If you follow that you won't go too far wrong.

Put 100%+ in at all times into everything. If you feel a little discomfort don't assume you're on your last legs and go sick. You'll see the same people going LD / ED again and again and again for the smallest of things and it is frowned upon big time.

Remember what you learned during your time in the Reserve but don't act like you know everything.

Savour your time off in barracks and the odd weekend you get home.

It sounds like you're fairly fit which is great when starting as that will help you get on with the lack of sleep and make PT easy. Help your buddies and don't Me Fein though you may feel like doing it sometimes. Try and help the weaker ones and if you see any struggling or getting a hard time be there for them. Inject enthuasiasm wherever you can.

Remember it's only 7 months which is not long.

hptmurphy
24th April 2008, 21:34
Remeber it's only 7 months which is not long.

where did you do recruit training.....? FAS?

Goldie fish
14th July 2009, 20:39
A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/recruits.html

dingo42
14th July 2009, 21:26
A very interesting Documentary from RTE Radio 1, caused quite a stir at the time.

Thanks for posting that Goldie, been looking for that.

hptmurphy
14th July 2009, 22:44
Souds like recruits has never changed..a bit of suffering is good for the soul..wonder how many of these guys passed out..follow on programme programme perhaps. Nice to see the f word hasn't been removed from the syallbus.

thomashood10
17th July 2009, 00:39
Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.

Truck Driver
17th July 2009, 09:11
Heheh, forgot about all this.

Yep in the end I did pass out as a 2 star btw with the 82nd platoon.

Unforunately I left about a month after I passed out for reasons I don't want to get into.

If you're interested to know how many of us made it, I know it was a very low amount, but you probably know that's fairly common. I think in my platoon we started with 48 or so and passed out with 17, I think 14 were left, barely standing after the week in the glen. A lot of lads dropped out for various reasons. Some of it was family, the money, they just didn't like it or couldn't cope with it. And ofcourse as any PDF member here knows, there's a lot of politics that goes on inside the platoon, some people were let go because of this. I know after I left 2 more lads followed with me, one for personal reasons, the other I'm not gonna say. One of my mates from the RDF made it to 3 star, sent me some pictures of the parade, I didn't count all the lads there. A few missing faces, but I think around 14 passed out. As I said I'm just giving rough estimates.

I believe we were the second last platoon to be trained up. There was one other fresh platoon that came in the week we were passing out. According to our corporals and general word we were the last recruit platoon to do scratch in the glen. I'd love to know if that's actually true, I can't understand why they'd remove it. Although I had my bad times, I really loved scratch, and the glen.

I'll never forget that bloody backpack, heavy s.o.b that always leaned to one side no matter how much you yanked on those straps.

14 from 48 - that's over a 66% dropout rate - getting more like the Wing by
the day !!! :smile:

Darksaga
17th July 2009, 12:10
They still do scartch, its just not called that.

ArdMhacha
17th July 2009, 14:32
Scratch is the like Delta in the US, we all know its there, it just doesnt officially exist

apod
17th July 2009, 14:40
Scratch is still there.It is still called scratch.Dont believe me look up the syllabus of training for the PDF Pots course.It will continue to be there.:wink:

paul
17th July 2009, 15:30

When was that first aired?

Hello Alaska
20th July 2009, 09:13
The 82nd weren't the last platoon to do scratch.

It's still there and as Apod said it's still called scratch.

seven.sixtwo
4th December 2009, 18:27
It can be hard sometimes but keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. If you follow that you won't go too far wrong.

Put 100%+ in at all times into everything. If you feel a little discomfort don't assume you're on your last legs and go sick. You'll see the same people going LD / ED again and again and again for the smallest of things and it is frowned upon big time.

Remember what you learned during your time in the Reserve but don't act like you know everything.

Savour your time off in barracks and the odd weekend you get home.

It sounds like you're fairly fit which is great when starting as that will help you get on with the lack of sleep and make PT easy. Help your buddies and don't Me Fein though you may feel like doing it sometimes. Try and help the weaker ones and if you see any struggling or getting a hard time be there for them. Inject enthuasiasm wherever you can.

Remember it's only 7 months which is not long.
never heard of recruit training lasting 7 months where were you in the marines

spaceghetti
5th December 2009, 10:23

He means until your fully trained as a 3star. It's 28 weeks training altogether to go from recruit to 3star Private, which is 7 months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it be right to say that recruit-2tar training is the equivalent of Phase 1 training, and 2star-3star would be the equivalent of Phase 2 training in the British Army?

DeV
5th December 2009, 16:00
Would it be right to say that recruit-2tar training is the equivalent of Phase 1 training, and 2star-3star would be the equivalent of Phase 2 training in the British Army?

There is a difference, all Irish soldiers do the equivalent of the British Army's Combat Infantryman Course (CIC) which is 26 weeks long. In the UK only infantrymen do this, others do a shorter course followed by trade training (phase 2).

An Irish private does 28 weeks training (followed by more if in a corps unit).

A British Army Gunner for the 105 does - Basic 20 wks plus 12 wks training to be a gunner

Hello Alaska
5th December 2009, 16:13

16 weeks going from Recruit to 2 Star.

12 weeks going from 2 to 3 Star Private.

All in all it's 28 weeks which is of course, 7 months.

ARW09
15th December 2009, 01:57
Is the training tough for the 28 week period?? and is there any recruitment for next year has anyone heard??

spaceghetti
16th December 2009, 00:21
Is the training tough for the 28 week period?? and is there any recruitment for next year has anyone heard??

At the moment the date for recruitment to restart is sill the 1st of January 2011.

Willie O'Dea is in talks with the Minister of Finance to try and get it back on earlier, but nothing has come of that yet.

Other then that there's no news on it.

AATWT
16th December 2009, 12:11
It's still there and as Apod said it's still called scratch.

Its just called "Exercise Scratch" now. :mad:

SwiftandSure
16th December 2009, 12:44
Scratch? What's that when it's at home?

Buck
16th December 2009, 13:16
was listening to that documentary and that guy who drops out just seems like he wasnt cut out for it in the first place, wouldnt be ars3d with them flippin your beds, i dont take abuse etc!

Buck
16th December 2009, 13:50
Fun! (not while it's happening though) - Runners, and an old uniform are required.

i bet it involves getting cold, wet, tired and messy

ArdMhacha
16th December 2009, 13:54
you better believe it, but its class......... when its over and you've got time to reflect (and breathe through the normal orafices)

Buck
16th December 2009, 13:55
what exactly does it involve though?

Buck
16th December 2009, 14:34
that sounds like good craic, but only as you say, in hindsight :D

HavocIRL
16th December 2009, 15:33
It's not scratch unless you get to go through the tunnel of water that's only about as wide as your shoulders.

ArdMhacha
16th December 2009, 16:17
The tunnel in the Glen??
That one's a nitemare, tight as a duck's arse. I did it with the mag, sh1t craic

HavocIRL
16th December 2009, 17:17
The tunnel in the Glen??
That one's a nitemare, tight as a duck's arse. I did it with the mag, sh1t craic

Did you have the joy of going against the flow of water so that the water level increased the further you went in.

By the end I was kissing the ceiling of that tunnel.

Border Bunny
16th December 2009, 18:40
Fun! (not while it's happening though) - Runners, and an old uniform are required.

Runners?
Who let you wear runners?
Boots CEFO Rocket pouches Helmet and Rifle is normal.

I hated it. It was physically the hardest part of my Recruit Training.
The new name for it is ''Revision Of Fieldcraft''

i bet it involves getting cold, wet, tired and messy
and dont forget lots of PAIN.

ollie
16th December 2009, 20:25
do they still make you crawl through the ditch filled with sheep carcasses muck n sh*t ????

HavocIRL
16th December 2009, 20:38
do they still make you crawl through the ditch filled with sheep carcasses muck n sh*t ????

Yup

hedgehog
16th December 2009, 20:57
Its character building-

I beleive that there should be a specially designed scratch or what ever the new PC term is course-

each recruit- cadet- apprentice- Pot Nco- Std Cse- Snr Cse- C & S cse

should have to do the exact same one-

it would be something that binds us all, in the way the US Marines have the cruicible, the Paras have the stretcher stroll, the wing have the long walk, the Itaians have the hair gel competition

and the Navy have the 20 major and a can of bumers competition.

apod
16th December 2009, 21:00
The new name for it is ''Revision Of Fieldcraft''
No.Despite this and many other comments to the contrary ,it is still called scratch.:cool:

HavocIRL
16th December 2009, 21:18
Its character building-

I beleive that there should be a specially designed scratch or what ever the new PC term is course-

each recruit- cadet- apprentice- Pot Nco- Std Cse- Snr Cse- C & S cse

should have to do the exact same one-

it would be something that binds us all, in the way the US Marines have the cruicible, the Paras have the stretcher stroll, the wing have the long walk, the Itaians have the hair gel competition

You saved the hardest for last?

smegers
16th December 2009, 21:21
Its character building-

I really do hope you mean a can of bulmers.

hedgehog
16th December 2009, 21:36
I had my special dsylexia glasses on- So for once my spelling and sentiments are correct.

DeV
16th December 2009, 21:54
what exactly does it involve though?

Basically it involves putting you under mental and physical pressure over the course of 1+ hours

Buck
16th December 2009, 23:10
Basically it involves putting you under mental and physical pressure over the course of 1+ hours

oh right! from what ive been reading, yes it does sound tough but definitely the sorta thing you'd appreciate in retrospect!

Border Bunny
16th December 2009, 23:33
No.Despite this and many other comments to the contrary ,it is still called scratch.:cool:

You and I and just about everybody else still call it Scratch but the offical name for it is now ''Revision Of Fieldcraft''.

AATWT
17th December 2009, 10:26
The official name for it is Exercise Scratch. It's in the PNCO and Cadet Syllabi as Exercise Scratch and not Revision of Fieldcraft.

apod
17th December 2009, 10:55
You and I and just about everybody else still call it Scratch but the offical name for it is now ''Revision Of Fieldcraft''.

Wrong.The official name is Scratch.Enshrined in the syllabus of training for the Potential NCO's course.Sorry for being pedantic,but you need to check your facts.;)

ArdMhacha
17th December 2009, 12:04

that was the part i hated the most, not just the brown stuff but those roots and sticks that are embedded in the brown stuff and hold you back and cut the life out of your elbows/ knees

ZULU
17th December 2009, 12:14
Want some cheese with that Whine?

ollie
17th December 2009, 12:41
that was the part i hated the most, not just the brown stuff but those roots and sticks that are embedded in the brown stuff and hold you back and cut the life out of your elbows/ knees

or trying to keep your rifle clean while at the same time fighting your way out of a rotten sheep carcass thats stuck to you !!!!!!

HavocIRL
17th December 2009, 13:37
For me the worst part was after scratch. We were taken to the cleaning shed in the glen and told to clean our weapons. Every half hour they were inspected and every half hour we were told they were dirty so they took us out and ran us up and down the lines in the glen then a big lap of the billets then back to the shed. 15 mins later the cycle was repeated again and again until 12pm. My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.

Character building

ArdMhacha
17th December 2009, 15:23
My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.

Grim

hedgehog
17th December 2009, 17:38
For me the worst part was after scratch. We were taken to the cleaning shed in the glen and told to clean our weapons. Every half hour they were inspected and every half hour we were told they were dirty so they took us out and ran us up and down the lines in the glen then a big lap of the billets then back to the shed. 15 mins later the cycle was repeated again and again until 12pm. My scratch started at 2pm ended at 5pm and we were cleaning weapons til 12pm.

Character building

You must have had some political pull to get such a cushy scratch-

starting at 1400hrs and finishing at 1700 hrs-

I dont know recruits these days have it soooooooooooooo cushy and easy-

next you will be complaining that you couldnt get a wifi signal during your scratch

or that the refreshement cart half way around ran out of mochino

HavocIRL
17th December 2009, 19:37
You must have had some political pull to get such a cushy scratch-

starting at 1400hrs and finishing at 1700 hrs-

I dont know recruits these days have it soooooooooooooo cushy and easy-

next you will be complaining that you couldnt get a wifi signal during your scratch

or that the refreshement cart half way around ran out of mochino

Well now that you mention it............

Buck
17th December 2009, 21:49
Well now that you mention it............

thats the cutbacks

RoyalGreenJacket
17th December 2009, 23:22

Character building

i think you need to go back to 'scratch' - you still tell the time like a civvie :-D

what's all this am / pm stuff??! :S

all that was beaten out of me on day 1 - never to be uttered again! :rolleyes:

smegers
18th December 2009, 02:54
Old habits die hard i guess.

HavocIRL
18th December 2009, 14:47
i think you need to go back to 'scratch' - you still tell the time like a civvie :-D

what's all this am / pm stuff??! :S

all that was beaten out of me on day 1 - never to be uttered again! :rolleyes:

Had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely FCA.

*Can of worms open*

trellheim
18th December 2009, 15:02
*Can of worms open* quoth the ex-member.

apod
19th December 2009, 11:03
had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely fca.

*can of worms open*

lmfao:-d:-d:-d

ZULU
19th December 2009, 11:06
I love the way the posters giving the most banter were in the "FCA" back in the day before they had a 1/4 lobotomy

Truck Driver
21st December 2009, 07:48
*Can of worms open*

Better get eating, then.....

:-D

RoyalGreenJacket
21st December 2009, 11:58
Had to put in the civvy times as their are civvys on the board. Namely FCA.

*Can of worms open*

lol - i was that man!

A Company, 7th Infantry Battalion FCA McKee Barracks Dublin - back in 1988.

hedgehog
21st December 2009, 12:03
lol - i was that man!

A Company, 7th Infantry Battalion FCA McKee Barracks Dublin - back in 1988.

That would mean you didnt join up until after 88

which expressed as a mathamatical equation

RGJ + FCA (1988)

RGJ X BA (>1988)

= RGJ is a red arse:-D

RoyalGreenJacket
21st December 2009, 12:22
a red arse who has to retire in 1 year! (actually i've got a 2 year extension~!)

maybe a red arse in an Army where you can be a Private soldier aged 55 but not in this army mate!

lol Hedge - you always know i'll bite, fair play pal.

sofa
21st December 2009, 21:17
a red arse who has to retire in 1 year! (actually i've got a 2 year extension~!)

maybe a red arse in an Army where you can be a Private soldier aged 55 but not in this army mate!

lol Hedge - you always know i'll bite, fair play pal.

Hang on, I was present at a barracks in Chelsea during London Soldier weekend about six years ago and there were a couple of 55 year old professional barric rat privates knocking around

Keef
12th August 2011, 14:49
Out of interest, if someone in the BA applies for the PDF, do they have to do training from day 1 or is there a "fast-track" method like there is for personnel joining the BA?

Buck
12th August 2011, 15:11
Out of interest, if someone in the BA applies for the PDF, do they have to do training from day 1 or is there a "fast-track" method like there is for personnel joining the BA?

if I had to guess mate, I'd say you'd have to start from scratch

Hello Alaska
12th August 2011, 17:27

I only know of one bloke who came from the BA and he wasn't fast tracked AFAIK.

Rhodes
12th August 2011, 18:52

Of course there is no "fast-track" for someone who was in a foreign military into the PDF.
Even if someone who was in the PDF and went on their ticket decided to join up again they will have to start from scratch again.
But there's aways the direct entry Medical Officers who will be commissioned with the rank of Captain without doing a Cadetship and YOs.

northie
12th August 2011, 19:24
Of course there is no "fast-track" for someone who was in a foreign military into the PDF.
Even if someone who was in the PDF and went on their ticket decided to join up again they will have to start from scratch again.
But there's aways the direct entry Medical Officers who will be commissioned with the rank of Captain without doing a Cadetship and YOs.

Can you name me any armed forces where drs do full officer cadet training? To do so would new a waste of resources and time.

Rhodes
12th August 2011, 19:33
Can you name me any armed forces where drs do full officer cadet training? To do so would new a waste of resources and time.

I never said a MO should do a full Cadetship and YOs to reach the rank of Captain, I was just pointing it out that they don't.

Wicklaman
12th August 2011, 20:11

Engineers too, of course. And I'm sure that there's others (Judges? Chaplains?).

northie
12th August 2011, 22:33
Engineers too, of course. And I'm sure that there's others (Judges? Chaplains?).

I would say the days of direct entry engineers are over, there are more than enough engineering graduates going through the standard cadet course that they won't need DE's for years to come, never mind mind those coming out of usac with engineering degrees. Of course the fact that they've been through the fun factory willl make these officers more useful than de's, as well as probably working out cheaper. Mil judges were once line officers that came up through the system and went the legal route. Chaplins do the shoot and salute course or at least those that I know have done it.

danno
13th August 2011, 08:00
Mil judges were once line officers that came up through the system and went the legal route

And appear to get an extra 30k pa for the honour.

REX
14th August 2011, 17:34
I would say the days of direct entry engineers are over, there are more than enough engineering graduates going through the standard cadet course that they won't need DE's for years to come, never mind mind those coming out of usac with engineering degrees.

It's not just the Cadet school, I know of at least one Engineering grsduste who passed out as 2* recently and is currently finishing his 3* training. He was loooking for Engineers but, anecdotally, the officers there were not impressed at the tought off a Private with 2 Degrees in the Corp

Craghopper
14th August 2011, 17:48
It's not just the Cadet school, I know of at least one Engineering grsduste who passed out as 2* recently and is currently finishing his 3* training. He was loooking for Engineers but, anecdotally, the officers there were not impressed at the tought off a Private with 2 Degrees in the Corp

Was told the very same thing by a Capt from the Engineers... Getting overseas is a problem for them because there is so many of them.

They will all go to Line Units.

northie
14th August 2011, 18:00

Probably not an issue for the officers seeing engineer officers must have engineering degrees but what about the nco's that would command this soldier?

REX
14th August 2011, 19:32
Probably not an issue for the officers seeing engineer officers must have engineering degrees but what about the nco's that would command this soldier?

It was apparently very much an issue for the officers. They would not want a private who may have a better qualification than them in the unit. Like most Officers they would be terrified of having someone who could catch them out! Can't loose face in front of the men dont'cha know.

Goldie fish
5th April 2012, 22:03
http://youtu.be/B77bDF-gVSE

Another batch of recruits pass out.

RoyalGreenJacket
7th April 2012, 03:35
http://youtu.be/B77bDF-gVSE

Another batch of recruits pass out.

so they all chose to join the Artillery?

Tango_Charlie
7th April 2012, 07:15
so they all chose to join the Artillery?

No, these chaps would have been trained by the artillery, 2FAR. A week or two prior to passing out they would have been asked which unit they wanted to go to. Generally their choice would be restricted to the brigade they were trained in. Eastern Brigade in this instance. But they would all pass out together under a 2FAR pennant.

As a general unwritten rule though, the unit which trained them would get the lions share of recruits. Next platoon trained in the eastern brigade would be trained by one of the other line units.

RoyalGreenJacket
7th April 2012, 13:13
As a general unwritten rule though, the unit which trained them would get the lions share of recruits. Next platoon trained in the eastern brigade would be trained by one of the other line units.

feck that for a game of soldiers.