Sleeping Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Bags

Decided to invest in a civvy sleeping bag because while the issue one is great it takes up too much room in my backpack.

What should I get?
    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
    Decided to invest in a civvy sleeping bag because while the issue one is great it takes up too much room in my backpack.

What should I get?
    One of the small snugpack ones..can't remember the name but they have a big range of them.

Ideal for professional use, military, police & bushcraft. We provide customers with a range of high-quality outdoor clothing & equipment perfect for all expeditions.

I believe they used to have them in great outdoors but It's cheaper getting them from on of the online retailers in the UK...if you look around a bit you'll find one for a good price.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

If you get one of them light weight ones, get a fleese liner to go with it.. their no worth a wa%k in the Cold..IMO..I have a softie 3.

Comment

Whatever happened to those lightweight sleeping bags that were on issue? I thought they were made by nanok or was it just a bag for warmer climates?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

IMHO get at least a 3 season bag (or one rated -5 celsius comfort rating) for good summer in Stranhely (and that is with bivi bag and several layers of dry clothing).

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
            Whatever happened to those lightweight sleeping bags that were on issue? I thought they were made by nanok or was it just a bag for warmer climates?
            Afaik the Nanok Issue sleeping bag has been replaced by a larger/warmer bag.Officially the Nanok bags were a "jungle " bag but there was also a heavier nanok bag issued to individuals going to colder climates.carinthia also made issue sleeping bags for The East timor rotations and were also on issue for Liberia until we got the Nanoks.
            Now that the history lesson is overMy recomendation would be the likes of a softie 6.Lighter and smaller than the 97 ptn "bouncing bomb" but warmer than a sofite 3 which is only really good during warm weather.(yes i did have one and i got rid of it)Or you could get a light bag and a liner combo as mentioned earlier.having said all that if you could swop your current issue one for one of the nanoks they are warmer than a sofite 3 and still lighter than what you have
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

I was issued a nanok-- jungle bag(NANOK DESIGNED FOR THE NORWEIGN OUTDOORS!!!) ya its tiny handy to puit away, slept in it in the billet in TISK and was freezin!!! slept beside an open window!!! thick prick i know!!! but overall its good-
              Also bought a TRACPAC Type 4 when ii joined up,, the yoke it big bulky and comfy!!! the heat is unreal used it out on the ground and it was delicous,,, had to wear a bala to keep the face warm tho!!!! Cold night!!!

Comment

Its ok with a bivi bag and a layer of clothes.Wouldnt sleep out in it in just my jocks though
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

The issued sleeping bag is an absolute nuisance.

Anyone know any other good sites apart from Snugpack?

Comment

Ive a HIGHLANDER one.

Cheap enough and does the job on those cold nights in the outdoors of the glen, kilbride, kilworth, sally gap, dundalk.....

Plus, as i said before, its small and light enough to roll up with your bivvi bag, kipmat and basha and put under the hood of your bergen so that it takes up NO room INSIDE the bergen.

But if you want to put it in it then the compression sack makes it small enoughto fit into a rocket pack with room to spare.
                    Woo Hoo, finally moderated!!!!! In that select band of people who speak their mind instead of being sheep!

Comment

Realistically, do you really want a heavy warm bag for the time you'll spend on the ground in the Glen?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Realistically, do you really want a heavy warm bag for the time you'll spend on the ground in the Glen?

I can count on one hand the amount of overnights I've done, the last one I did was a 72 hour patrolling ex in very warm July a few years back. Invest!!

Comment

Originally posted by spudula View Post
                          Ive a HIGHLANDER one.

Cheap enough and does the job on those cold nights in the outdoors of the glen, kilbride, kilworth, sally gap, dundalk.....

Plus, as i said before, its small and light enough to roll up with your bivvi bag, kipmat and basha and put under the hood of your bergen so that it takes up NO room INSIDE the bergen.

But if you want to put it in it then the compression sack makes it small enoughto fit into a rocket pack with room to spare.
                          Why would you put it in the compression sack at all? Just means more time wasted pulling it out when you're setting up.

Comment

I have an issue nanonk light weight bag with the gortex bivi bag. Spent a week out on the ground (well inside an army canvas tent with holes in it) on the Galtees and and knockmealdowns. Had to wear thermal clothing aswell to keep off cold and I'm not one who really gets cold easily. That or maybe I was getting the chills from the person I had to sleep next too!!! HA AH LOL
                            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Have a look in the Argos catalogue. They do a range of sleeping bags that go as far as -15 degrees, the most expensive one is €45.
                              That and a bivi bag, what more do you want?

Comment

Working...
                              X