Mounted Artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounted Artillery

I'm sure alot of you are familier with the L118 105mm Field Gun.
    It takes a 6 man gun team and has to be towed by a heavy 4x4 truck. Most of the work of the gun team is just getting it into action. Getting the gun in and out of action quickly is very important.

Self propelled and mounted guns are much easier to 'shoot and scoot'. There are several versions of armoured self propelled 105mm but I have never seen a mounted 105mm......

.........untill now.

Opinions on this..........?

Looks a little SADF to me,but i could be wrong.A cheaper way of having SP Arty & not a bad idea either,although obviously its a very old concept:D
    Live long and prosper!

Comment

It is an old concept but very new in terms of the 105! The company that sells them is the same company that we bought the panhards off. They just install the mounting platform and gun, not the truck. Most 5-6 tone 4x4 trucks are suitable.
      The only thing is, we use the British 105mm L1A1. This company use the US version, the Howitzer M101/33 gun. Would the IDF be willing to use the US model?

Comment

Nah!!No plans to replace or even upgrade the L118's as of yet:( Anyway they don't need replacing,they're not fired that often in a year!!
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

I see no reason why this system couldn't be adapted to use the Light Gun, as opposed to the older american howitzers.

Comment

The Irish army currently own 12 L118's and they certainly dont need replacing yet.
            16 L119's are on the table if not on order already. But that still doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to consider a different model of the gun for the mounted version, that is, if the Brit one can't be adapted in this way.

The company that makes the platforms currently only provides them with the US Howitzer

"RDM Technology's MOBAT 105 mm Truckmounted Howitzer is a low cost, highly mobile, autonomous weapon system, specifically designed for rapid deployment missions, both in peace- and wartime. The MOBAT combines the proven features and high performance of RDM Technology's successful M101/33 towed howitzer upgrade with a new weapon platform of modular design, which can be mounted on a wide range of 4-5 ton, all terrain military trucks."
            Does the US version have the same extreme high elevation capabilities as the Brit gun?

Comment

Lads, that looks like something from the knackers yard, maybe if we got a few apprentices from FAS together with the finest military minds in DFHQ we could knock something up, any suggestions? :D

Comment

Giat offer a similar product, mounting a 155mm/52cal gun, called caesar.

Either one looks handy, a battery of mounted artillery would be a decent addition to the RRF battalion.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

" Gunner Al - The Irish army currently own 12 L118's and they certainly dont need replacing yet.
                  16 L119's are on the table if not on order already. But that still doesn't mean they wouldn't be willing to consider a different model of the gun for the mounted version, that is, if the Brit one can't be adapted in this way. "
                  Last time i counted it was - but there you are they must have mothballed 10 for the conversion in 2010
                  :D BTW Spanky it is the Knacker!!
                  Last edited by Erwin; 7 August 2003, 12:57.
                  Live long and prosper!

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's 12......

Comment

Not so my friend!!!!!!22...................
                      Last edited by Erwin; 7 August 2003, 12:57.
                      Live long and prosper!

Comment

I dont want to argue about it so I'm just gonna agree with ya......

Comment

It's actually 24, purchased in 2 lots of 12 (12 new and 12 second hand).

IAS

Comment

Can you just buy the truck and fit the gun yorself?
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

we could certainly try, though I won't be standing anywhere near it when they open fire for the first time :p

Comment

Working...
                              X