IAC Spitfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAC Spitfires

My name is Neil Medcalf; I am an aviation enthusiast and amateur historian. I am currently researching the two seat trainer versions of the Supermarine Spitfire for a book on this variant of this most famous of aircraft. I would like to inquire about any possible assistance that anyone might be able to give me with this project.

At this point I am trying to learn more about the Irish Air Corps use of these aircraft. Photos are useful, as well as documented flight time. Other IAC doucuments such as accident reports, newpaper articles, transfers, maintance logs etc. are all helpful. I am interested in the IAC service history, their current history is known to me. Your personal recollections are just as important, as it will help document their movements, and give "flavour" to the data.

If you know of anyone who could be of help, please forward my name and address to them. Thank you for your help in documenting this rare variant of the Spitfire. I also run a small web site devoted to this aircraft at www.canadianguitarist.ca/tnine . You will find below, a list of the aircraft involved by their Irish Air Corps serial numbers with the corresponding RAF Serials. Thank you all very much.

MK IX's-
    IAC 158- MJ627
    IAC 159- MJ772
    IAC 160- MK721
    IAC 161- PV202
    IAC 162- ML407
    IAC 163- TE308

Yours Sincerely,

Neil A. Medcalf
    type509@hotmail.com:flagwave:

For pictures and information you will find this site very helpful: http://www.irishairpics.com/aircorps/index.html

Such as

and

Last edited by Guest; 3 August 2003, 11:58.

Comment

Check out this book by Donald MacCarron, its out of print, but you'd probably find a copy in a library. If i remember correctly, the last few pages of the book has a list of all IAC craft ever used and what happened to them.

'Wings Over Ireland: Irish Air Corps' by Donald MacCarron
      Published by Midland Publishing, 1996 ISBN: 1 85780 057 5
      * Comprehensive history of the IAC.
      Keep the speed up...!

Comment

Thank you both- Neil
        :-patriot:

Comment

Originally posted by Joey D
          Check out this book by Donald MacCarron, its out of print, but you'd probably find a copy in a library. If i remember correctly, the last few pages of the book has a list of all IAC craft ever used and what happened to them.

'Wings Over Ireland: Irish Air Corps' by Donald MacCarron
          Published by Midland Publishing, 1996 ISBN: 1 85780 057 5
          * Comprehensive history of the IAC.

This book can also be purchased through the Irish Military Online Store!

Just click --->HERE<---

Comment

This book can also be purchased through the Irish Military Online Store!

Availability: we are currently unable to offer this title. It may be out of stock with the publisher or out of print. If you would like to purchase this title, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it has become available.

Its out of print!
            Keep the speed up...!

Comment

Ah well, it's the thought that counts :(

Comment

And i wouldnt mind, but you got my hopes up about buying a copy, after been told in Easons that you cant get it anymore! :(
                Keep the speed up...!

Comment

Working...
                X