PDA

View Full Version : When I was a recruit....

damo de muff diver
31st August 2008, 11:41
[
QUOTE=hptmurphy;218031]you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Recruits both army and NS were sunbject to sevre clothing shortages and most wore overalls ' 24bs beret and in NS case a white web belt c/w buckles

these had to be creased and pressed like normal gear and it was only after 'final approval' we actually were issued proper working dress.

Marloy will back me up on all of this.[/QUOTE]

Oh Murpth you are falling into that old trap of"you young fellas don`t know how good you have it,in my day" :tongue:
of course in your day it was harder but you lot had a picnic compared to my day and I had it easier compared to any-one pre 1981. :eek:
All I would like to add ,to anyone doing recruit training at the moment "enjoy every minute of it ,some of it will not seem like fun now but trust me in years to come you will look back at this time in your life and laugh "
to all of you I offer my best wishes :biggrin:

P.S. remember it is not the uniform but the damn fine person inside it. :smile:

[Mod - Thread split]

Barry
31st August 2008, 13:04
At the rate that recruit training is getting easier, 50 years ago one of the star tests must have been getting shot twice in the head and surviving.

Hello Alaska
31st August 2008, 14:21
I heard that up until a few years ago 1 of the star tests involved wrestling a bear with your hands tied behind your back.

concussion
31st August 2008, 17:56
Don't they tie up the bears hands these days?? :biggrin:

hptmurphy
31st August 2008, 22:14
Oh Murpth you are falling into that old trap of"you young fellas don`t know how good you have it

No I've seen how gruelling it can be these days with a totally different mindset both from the instructors and the recruits so I know the pitfalls of that approach.

Was just pointing out that it is required to have a uniform and all the kit that is available today to be a recruit...as you said it wasn't the uniform but the person inside.

I agree however that is probably amongst the most vivid memories that will ever be had of the DF as after recruits it tends to fall into a routine.

Nobody could ever say the same of recruits as your day is dictated by how you and your group perform rather than any program.

Training programs for recruits are totally dependent oh how the group eprforms on a day to day basis.

Some things come easily while others are carved out in tears sweat and even blood.

The best advice being listen and learn from the instructors as it is your performance vs their standards that, at the end of the day , dictate the progress you make.

Truck Driver
31st August 2008, 23:44
P.S. remember it is not the uniform but the damn fine person inside it. :smile:

Well said, sir....

damo de muff diver
1st September 2008, 23:17
I have to be honest with you, I know nothing about the way recruit training is run today.
What I do find sad even after all the years since I did it people still don`t have the kit they need and have to buy it themselves if they want it.
I know in my day kit always seemed to be "Too big,Too small or it doesn`t fit you atall"
and we may have looked like scruffy street urchins but we were "damn fine scruffy street urchins"

damo de muff diver
6th September 2008, 17:17
Jaysus lads, would one of ye learn to use fhe friggin quote tags, and teach the others while ye are at it?

There is an opening for you
You could run courses in it then the resession need never bother you

golden rivet
7th September 2008, 21:26
Jaysus lads, would one of ye learn to use fhe friggin quote tags, and teach the others while ye are at it?:eek:could this be said in a more gentle way most of us are retired and fragile

Goldie fish
7th September 2008, 23:32
I think the fact that you both managed to do it right this time shows the old methods of hurling abuse still work as a method of instruction. :)

damo de muff diver
8th September 2008, 14:08
I think the fact that you both managed to do it right this time shows the old methods of hurling abuse still work as a method of instruction. :)

What did I do right ?
First time in years and I missed it :eek:

golden rivet
8th September 2008, 15:16
What did I do right ?
First time in years and I missed it :eek:
:confused: i dont know what i done right either.... jesus where is the half day pass book

damo de muff diver
8th September 2008, 20:05
:confused: i dont know what i done right either.... jesus where is the half day pass book

Never mind the half day pass,I need a long weekend and a lie-down. :confused:

golden rivet
9th September 2008, 10:29
Never mind the half day pass,I need a long weekend and a lie-down. :confused: I would like to see the young people of today setting up the carbon paper for a three page letter and a gale blowing outside... no ctrl alt delete them times...

Goldie fish
9th September 2008, 10:38
Not to mention having to bang two rocks together to light your ciggie.

damo de muff diver
9th September 2008, 14:18
Not to mention having to bang two rocks together to light your ciggie.

You don`t know how lucky you were to have two rocks,living in the lap of luxury you were.
We use to sit around dreaming about having two rocks to bang together. :biggrin:

marloy
9th September 2008, 14:26
you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Recruits both army and NS were sunbject to sevre clothing shortages and most wore overalls ' 24bs beret and in NS case a white web belt c/w buckles

Three layers of upper body clothing under overalls that had some one with a very short body and long legs in mind buttons that fell out and could not be stitched back in and to add insult to injury were 'green'

these had to be creased and pressed like normal gear and it was only after 'final approval' we actually were issued proper working dress.

We were only iisued #1s two days before passing out and even at that no capbadges and unless you had your own they were all borrowed. White Gaiters come 'handed' and I'm still wonder who got two left ones as I had two 'right' ones nad because of the ways the straps fatened one was worn upside down with the end of the trousers covering the top fastening.

The boots were substandard as the heels were plastc and the black paint came off and left us with grey plastic heels which was only covered by aquiring some black gloss paint

We were only isseued with' gabardine coats' ( who will remember them) as we had to go to the national day of comemoration at it wa supposed to rain.. it didn't and we got to keep the coats. Got an over coat sometime later after a few freezing nights on guard,

If some one now complains about kit issue and laugh.. you have no idea how bad kit issue is until you have had your testicles eaten by army pink/orange long johns , woolen of course to stop you gettimg hypothermia because of the only leg covering being availble being thread bare over alls.

The LJ s were one use only as no matter how you washed them.. the shrunk and would not fit 'action man', and even though he was plastic without testicles he would still have found them unbearable

Marloy will back me up on all of this.

who me :biggrin:

marloy
9th September 2008, 14:31
you might think so but eons ago when I was a recruit we gave the first week without uniforms and even when we did get issued with kit' it could hardly be called a uniform unless you were a mechanic

Three layers of upper body clothing under overalls that had some one with a very short body and long legs in mind buttons that fell out and could not be stitched back in and to add insult to injury were 'green'

We were only iisued #1s two days before passing out and even at that no capbadges and unless you had your own they were all borrowed. White Gaiters come 'handed' and I'm still wonder who got two left ones as I had two 'right' ones nad because of the ways the straps fatened one was worn upside down with the end of the trousers covering the top fastening.

The boots were substandard as the heels were plastc and the black paint came off and left us with grey plastic heels which was only covered by aquiring some black gloss paint

We were only isseued with' gabardine coats' ( who will remember them) as we had to go to the national day of comemoration at it wa supposed to rain.. it didn't and we got to keep the coats. Got an over coat sometime later after a few freezing nights on guard,

If some one now complains about kit issue and laugh.. you have no idea how bad kit issue is until you have had your testicles eaten by army pink/orange long johns , woolen of course to stop you gettimg hypothermia because of the only leg covering being availble being thread bare over alls.

The LJ s were one use only as no matter how you washed them.. the shrunk and would not fit 'action man', and even though he was plastic without testicles he would still have found them unbearable

Marloy will back me up on all of this.

too right i will i9 hated those overalls had some laugh with the long johns though:biggrin:

hptmurphy
9th September 2008, 20:56
too right i will i9 hated those overalls had some laugh with the long johns though

pervert !!

84Mac
10th September 2008, 10:26
We ended up using those LJs as floor polish applicators. There was no way on God's green earth any of my recruit platoon would chance testicular engorgement !! Most of us wore track suit bottoms under the overalls...
in fact I think I wore a track suit under the uniform for most of my recruit training.

marloy
10th September 2008, 10:44
pervert !!

whats that got to do with long johns

hptmurphy
10th September 2008, 22:02
had some laugh with the long johns though

You had a laugh while the rest of use were enduring canabilistic under wear.....:eek:

Yeah we tried the track suit thing as well but given we had one track suit and were running up to 10 miles a day in it.. lets just say it wasn't pleasant.

marloy
10th September 2008, 22:49
You had a laugh while the rest of use were enduring canabilistic under wear.....:eek:

Yeah we tried the track suit thing as well but given we had one track suit and were running up to 10 miles a day in it.. lets just say it wasn't pleasant.

funny thing was all we were issued with was green overalls jocks towels socks and those famous long johns what else were we supposed to wear. the track suits we had to buy ourselves and we had to wear civy jumpers to keep warm under the overalls. it was very cold them days on the square. if it wasnt for the running up and down those famous hills on haulbowline (when someone f+++++ up )we.d have all suffered from hypothermia several times over. :biggrin:

golden rivet
11th September 2008, 01:13
funny thing was all we were issued with was green overalls jocks towels socks and those famous long johns what else were we supposed to wear. the track suits we had to buy ourselves and we had to wear civy jumpers to keep warm under the overalls. it was very cold them days on the square. if it wasnt for the running up and down those famous hills on haulbowline (when someone f+++++ up )we.d have all suffered from hypothermia several times over. :biggrin:
did you not get issued with the two rocks for the smoke break

marloy
11th September 2008, 08:09
did you not get issued with the two rocks for the smoke break

there were none available until after final approval:biggrin:

damo de muff diver
14th September 2008, 18:14
It must have been the two rocks that Goldie mentioned
They probably gave him big one`s and no-one told him that he didn`t have to carry them everywhere. :confused:
Sure that would f**k up anyone`s back :wink:
Now I am kinda glad I didn`t issued with the rocks :biggrin:

Truck Driver
15th September 2008, 12:29
You don`t know how lucky you were to have two rocks,living in the lap of luxury you were.
We use to sit around dreaming about having two rocks to bang together. :biggrin:

This is beginning to sound like that scene from the "Life of Brian"

"....... Agghh ! He spat at me in the face ! "

" Ohhh, what I'd give to be spat at in the face ......" :biggrin:

marloy
15th September 2008, 13:09
It must have been the two rocks that Goldie mentioned
They probably gave him big one`s and no-one told him that he didn`t have to carry them everywhere. :confused:
Sure that would f**k up anyone`s back :wink:
Now I am kinda glad I didn`t issued with the rocks :biggrin:

sure the rocks dont work under water :rolleyes: thats why you didnt get them

damo de muff diver
15th September 2008, 20:31
sure the rocks dont work under water :rolleyes: thats why you didnt get them

No I dont think so
They were all jealous of the shiny gold diving badge we got,that why we didn`t get the rocks . They didn`t want to spoil us. :tongue:

marloy
15th September 2008, 21:46
No I dont think so
They were all jealous of the shiny gold diving badge we got,that why we didn`t get the rocks . They didn`t want to spoil us. :tongue:

very true you cant have it all :biggrin: you had to be speciall to get the rocks

Goldie fish
15th September 2008, 22:59
I heard those who didnt get the rocks got two sticks to rub together instead. You had to rub them together very fast though, and some were better at it than others...

GoneToTheCanner
15th September 2008, 23:10
First issue: green overalls, boots, socks(the woolly instant-shrink kind), beret,2 badges, a steel split-pin for the badges(thank you, Cessna), the long johns, the white plimsolls(seen in every british war film that featured recruit training), greatcoat (the miserably thin one), SD Nos 1 and 2(the same item) and the sundry remnants of the back end of the Q stores, such as battered mess tins and plate, aluminium, army and eating irons and a green plastic mug.
classy, we were(not)
regards
GttC

Goldie fish
15th September 2008, 23:13
You know the feeling of delight when the Q gets generous and starts giving you lots of stuff, and then you realise that he is only getting rid of his junk, by issuing it to you...

Truck Driver
16th September 2008, 08:03
I heard those who didnt get the rocks got two sticks to rub together instead. You had to rub them together very fast though, and some were better at it than others...

They'd be no better than the rocks underwater !!! :biggrin:

damo de muff diver
16th September 2008, 14:16
They'd be no better than the rocks underwater !!! :biggrin:

Granted the rocks would help you sink faster but the sticks on dry land (depending on length) would be easier to carry around being lighter.
Since I got issued with neither,I am only guessing perhaps the individuals who got issued with either could enlighten us.
I await with hopeful anticipation for replies to this as at moment I still believe they didn`t want to spoil me. :biggrin:

Joshua
16th September 2008, 14:32
Recruit Camp 1978.

One Word to bring memories flooding back.

Blanco.

marloy
16th September 2008, 14:52
floor polish great for lighting coal fires in the school offices
HAD TO BE USED IN MODERATION AS DISCOVERED 1 MORNING BY A CERTAIN UNNAMED WHILE PREPARING FOR GHQ :biggrin:

golden rivet
16th September 2008, 14:53
Granted the rocks would help you sink faster but the sticks on dry land (depending on length) would be easier to carry around being lighter.
Since I got issued with neither,I am only guessing perhaps the individuals who got issued with either could enlighten us.
I await with hopeful anticipation for replies to this as at moment I still believe they didn`t want to spoil me. :biggrin::tongue: are you falling into a trap about the rocks.. read the previous threads especially the one about carbon paper... t kelly is warrant

golden rivet
16th September 2008, 14:54
floor polish great for lighting coal fires in the school offices
HAD TO BE USED IN MODERATION AS DISCOVERED 1 MORNING BY A CERTAIN UNNAMED WHILE PREPARING FOR GHQ :biggrin: like myself i see you are at work....:smile:

hptmurphy
16th September 2008, 16:46
Two of them actually.. milk carton invoved in the transaction, created a new secret weapon,,, milk carton full of traffic wax ...that was a morning to remember, I leave the other guy un named as he may not want to be known as an arsonist, but I reckon the primary culprit was John Carney.. this was typical of his quick fix mentality.

Remember the night he washed down the outside steps of the billets with water to remove the chipping white wash.. it froze.. the Orderly officer was due on rounds but was late, was wearing leather soled shoes and went down a flight on his arse.. Carney was last seen running through the old billets up stairs with the Orderly officer threating his life!

C'mon marloy.. your turn

I'm not at work..I'm going on night shift at 19.00.

marloy
16th September 2008, 18:23
Two of them actually.. milk carton invoved in the transaction, created a new secret weapon,,, milk carton full of traffic wax ...that was a morning to remember, I leave the other guy un named as he may not want to be known as an arsonist, but I reckon the primary culprit was John Carney.. this was typical of his quick fix mentality.

Remember the night he washed down the outside steps of the billets with water to remove the chipping white wash.. it froze.. the Orderly officer was due on rounds but was late, was wearing leather soled shoes and went down a flight on his arse.. Carney was last seen running through the old billets up stairs with the Orderly officer threating his life!

C'mon marloy.. your turn

I'm not at work..I'm going on night shift at 19.00.

poor old john carney spent some time painting out the office that day youd never know what he,d do next

marloy
16th September 2008, 18:25
how many times did we have to scrub the drill shed with the ould tooth brush. teeth were never the same after that one :rolleyes:

marloy
16th September 2008, 18:30
murphs
do you remember the famous disco run in the drill shed around christmas time.
all the instructors watching us like hawks. then the famous camp in tralee barracks and the march through the gap of dunloe and throw the wope half way through

hptmurphy
16th September 2008, 21:29
how many times did we have to scrub the drill shed with the ould tooth brush. teeth were never the same after that one

brings back certain memories especially after the night my locker attacked the OOD and I gave afternoon in that damned place with said same tooth brush

murphs
do you remember the famous disco run in the drill shed around christmas time.
all the instructors watching us like hawks. then the famous camp in tralee barracks and the march through the gap of dunloe and throw the wope half way through

My memories of that weekend are far more spectacular,

Remember the crossing of the lake in the two geminis and how Pat Collins got thrown in... and me soon after him, had to finish the route march having been submerged in a lake ( funny how most of my NS career either started or began with me in water usually fully clothed,)

The 'Bomb Scare' at 3am with us running around like headless chickens to find out it was some sort of musical instrument left under a truck!

Yeah the famous disco.. Gerry Kearns break dancing and not a bird in sight...we got suckered into that one.

The infamous Mr. Bermingham !!!! Valentines weekend 1986

Are you completely sure you want your youngfella to join up??????

yooklid
16th September 2008, 21:58
Recruit Camp 1978.

One Word to bring memories flooding back.

Blanco.

OH MY GOD!

Never personally, but I remember the old man and the older brothers having to put up with it!

marloy
17th September 2008, 08:31
brings back certain memories especially after the night my locker attacked the OOD and I gave afternoon in that damned place with said same tooth brush

My memories of that weekend are far more spectacular,

Remember the crossing of the lake in the two geminis and how Pat Collins got thrown in... and me soon after him, had to finish the route march having been submerged in a lake ( funny how most of my NS career either started or began with me in water usually fully clothed,)

The 'Bomb Scare' at 3am with us running around like headless chickens to find out it was some sort of musical instrument left under a truck!

Yeah the famous disco.. Gerry Kearns break dancing and not a bird in sight...we got suckered into that one.

The infamous Mr. Bermingham !!!! Valentines weekend 1986

Are you completely sure you want your youngfella to join up??????

see they trained you well from an early stage in your career you learned how to survive in wet conditions from the start :biggrin:

carrying the instructors around on stretchers upside down as they were casualties serves them right for disturbing our alcoholicaly induced sleeps.some bomb scare