Offered a Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offered a Commission

Just wondering (dangerous most times) if it was offered to you, would you accept a commission? What do you think would influence your decision. And finally without getting into a slaging match about them, what do you think of the average FCA officer?

Just a few thoughts.

I'd be proud to accept a commission, and I'd really do my best to live up to whats expected.
    I know many officers fall short of the mark, but I have seen both extremes, absolutely excellent officers, and indifferent officers.
    The poorer examples should never be a deterrent to good materiel going for comissions, in fact it should be quite the opposite.

I have to admit that I was surprised as a recruit at how much disrespect there was for the officers from the NCO's (I'm not talking about my current unit). I realise that they may have their misgivings, but this is not something you should express in from of the men.
    It really does undermine the chain of command.

Ideally an officer should in my opinion get stuck-in with the training and instruction, and not just be present at the drill at the end of the evening.
    But then again, I suppose I'm not qualified to say how they should behave, as I'm not an officer.

Comment

There are people who make Very Good NCOs,and there are people who make very Good officers,but they are not necessarily both.
      Some NCOs I know are excellent at their job,but I know,as they do,that they would be completely unsutable as officers. I consider myself in this bracket.
      On the other hand there are people who were terrible NCOs who went on to become officers and many said they excelled as officers. It took a far sighted individual to see the potential that could be unlocked by commissioning them.
      However there are also those who are both and none of the above.
      Officers who were excellent NCOs who could have gone right to BSM,but instead went all the way to Commandant, and then there are those who were dreadful NCOs,and are worse officers,but with more potential for destruction.

Whats to be expected though..after all they are only Human....Or are they?

The only difficulty I would have with officers..if there is such a thing,is that after commissioning,promotion is based on seniority,not ability.
      I am sure that many officers think this is a less than fair method.:confused:

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I had a training cpl from the PDF many moons ago, who used to say to us "Dont call me Sir, I work for a living!" I think that sums up the ranks view of the officer corps.
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

I disagree with Goldie Fish's comment that commisioning is based on seniority rather than ability.

Firstly anybody under the age of 35 who has attained the rank of corporal is eligible for an officer's course.

You then have the selection process (which has it's own problems). First of all you have to be nominated by your unit. This process can take any form (good unit commanders hold interviews while others will select their candidates without interviews).

There is then the brigade selection interview. Each brigade is allocated a number of places on the course. A brigade board is set up (usually with a mixture of PDF and FCA officers) they select their candidates from the nominations from each unit after an interview and medical.

While some units may select their candidates by seniority, the brigade certainly doesn't, for proof of this all you have to do is look at the service records of those who have been commisioned in the last few years. (if you get your hands on the commissioning booklet, which gives a brief resume of each new officer). You will see that officers as young as 21 and as old as 35 have been commissioned, and their experience ranges from 5 years to 15 years. (Whether this means the selection is on merit I cannot tell you, but it certainly isn't on seniority)

Comment

Sorry Bravo20 I think you misread Goldie's post.
            The only difficulty I would have with officers..if there is such a thing,is that after commissioning,promotion is based on seniority,not ability
            Its AFTER commissioning that promotion is based on seniority. Other than that you are dead right with the selection process. You will have to be offered the chance to go forward for the interview then onto Brigade Interview. If successful you will then attend a number of Brigade training weekends and then your Pre Officer Training Course, 2 weeks of introduction to everything you will need to know.

After that good units will take you back and train you up on any element of your Pot Officer Cse you need refresher training. Then your ready for the next 2 week course and your exams.

Once you are commissioned you stay a 2/Lt for 4 (I think) years before your recommended for promotion. Also you have a yearly evaluation on your performance carried out by you Regt CO, this will decide if you are up for promotion.

I personally like the idea of a yearly review for all NCO and officer ranks, I think it would help improve standards.

Comment

You misunderstood my comment Bravo. Or maybe I wasnt clear about it. Comissioning to Officer is based on meriet and skill of course,but after that it becomes a seniority thing. People who are officers before you are get promoted before you etc. Some would say that once you are an officer all you have to do is put in the time to get your next pip or bar. Personally I do not share this opinion.
              In most cases the candidates who are sent forward for Potential officers courses(who may not actually be promoted) are in the units opinion the best people for the Job.

Comment

Most officers who I have had dealing with in are sound but you will find the odd one or two who slip through the net and should`nt have even been a NCO.
                If is was offered a comission, (I`m a 3*) would accept it as it is an honour to be offered it and it takes alot of work to obtain and even more work after to regain the repect of the other ranks after.
                Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

In my experience (13 years, wow I'm old :( ) the old style of officer, you know the one who insists on having dinner served on tables with white table cloths and who are afraid to get dirty while on tactics are, for the most part, gone, thank God.

The impression by officers that they were English officers at the turn of the century where its a case of them (other ranks) and us (officers), has thankfully changed to an understanding that without teamwork the whole thing will just fall apart.

I still believe that there is a lot of pressure placed by NCOs on officers to have an answer for EVERYTHING, as if getting your nice shiny pip will give the officer unlimited knowledge. At the end of the day an officers commission is just a rank, jut like ours, with a bit more responsibility attached to it. I believe that learing to fit in your unit as an officer would be hard enough without NCOs trying to trip you up along the way. If we NCOs were to be a bit more helpful I think we could help to develop better officers by helping them gain experience at their new jobs.

What do you think?

Comment

Speakin of which,I notice my accellerated promotion here reached a new milestone today...3 days I lasted at the last rank....
                    I have way too much time on my hands!:(

Comment

Far too much time! Where did you get the rank markings avatar?

Comment

The creator of all things avatar...Bailer of course. He gave me enough to last till the end of the week at least...:(

Comment

The primary reason I heard in my OCS course was that the candidates were sick of useless officers and had a mindset 'Jesus, I can do better than that, and somebody had better otherwise this army is screwed'

Half-way through the course, we got a copy of the CalGuard's magazine delivered to us. One of my squadmates pointed to a picture of a 1LT getting off an airplane from Kuwait and said 'He is the reason I'm in OCS'

I recall during one exercise in Wicklow, I did something a little daft (Can't recall what), and said something which was a little verbose. (Q-Sergeant said 'I had a way with words.. :P). I will never forget the corporal looking at me, and saying "You know, you'd make a great officer. A lousy NCO, but a great officer..."

I think it was an insult.

Still, I think I'll make a great officer. I wouldn't have taken the course if I didn't think so.

NTM
                          Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Ive a couple of unrelated questions that Id like to ask, and if anyone can offer me some info Id be grateful.

First, regarding the medical for the RDF officers course, how strict is the eyesight exam? If someone has perfect corrected vision but less uncorrected than the PDF cadet standards allow, can they still pass? Maybe someone who has completed that medical in recent years might give me some info.

The other question I have is regarding the avatars or little images under peoples' names on the board. Is there a website where I can download some of these in a bigger size? The quality is excellent.

Sorry for going off topic on the second one there! Id appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Comment

I don't know the exact eyesight requirement. I suspect it is less than the cadet standard as I require 2.25 strength glasses and passed the eyesight test.

Comment

Working...
                              X