Changes you've seen in the RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes you've seen in the RDF

I was just wondering what changes in the RDF stick in people's minds since they've joined.

Personally, one of the biggest was the introduction of femails into the reserve, before this get out of hand, I'm just highlighting this as a change, for the record I think they are just like the guys, when they're good they're great, but when they're bad their really bad.

Another big change for me was the closure of my original barracks :( sadly missed.

The introduction of the DPM uniforms which we ranted and raved about... until we got them and then wished we had the old green combats instead.

The sad loss of the FN FAL, which was nearly forgiven by the introduction of the Styer.

What about the chance to be a part of a big budget movie, personally it was 8 weeks of Braveheart -- Fun, Fun, Fun.

Of course moving up through the ranks has been an experience, alot of lessons learnt.

Thanks all I can think of for the moment, any comments???
    Yes, very much
    20.00%
    Yes, a little
    32.86%
    Much the same
    25.71%
    A little worse
    5.71%
    A lot worse
    7.14%
    Can't decide / No opinion
    8.57%

Sad at loosing the FN? The styer is a better weapon...

Comment

Re: Changes you've seen in the RDF

Originally posted by Recon
      The introduction of the DPM uniforms which we ranted and raved about... until we got them and then wished we had the old green combats instead.
      I find the new combats alot more comfortable and snappier looking. Far better in the field as well. The only problem is getting enough of them and making sure that you wash them properly to prevent fading, but that was a problem with the old greens as well!

Comment

On one hand the conditions and equipment have improved dramatically since I first Joined in (shock) 1988. We now have a modern assault rifle,and modern clothing and equipment.

However this has come at the cost of the atmosphere that used to prevail in the Reserve. In the past we didnt have the gear,so we made do with what we had... surplus stores done a roaring trade,and looking back,many were equipped as well as we are today,only it was paid for out of their own funds,instead of waiting for the q to issue.
        Last camp I was on there was a shortage of t shirts...recruits paraded without,instead of like most seasoned soldiers,going down to the local t shirt shop to get a heinikan shirt or something..many couldnt even bother to get a black t shirt..its just an example..maybe not a good one.

But I always felt that back when we bought our own combats,we worked harder to try to be a professional force. Nowdays while we have the same uniform and weapons as the PDF,many dont feel they have to excell to prove themselves as good a soldier as the pdf..they feel that it comes with the uniform.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It's been my experience that certain people and sub units seem to view the whole concept of applying themselves with proffessionalism as anathema or even as Walter Mitty like behaviour.
          The fact that these same beings are responsible for 60% of the derision we receive doesn't seem to register
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

the t shirts cost €5 thats less than a packet of fags !!

I couldnt wait to get rid of that old olive green uniform, i felf like a builder in it, it was very uncomfortable, the north korean look! the new DPM is the business!

loosing that atmosphere.... well when i joined the atmosphere was like, im trying to avoid doing anything, i dont want to be here, badly trained and badly motivated, having 50 fag breaks a day, and a general attitude problem

There was no tears in my eyes saying goodbye to that musket FN or gustav, should have dumped them 10 years ago

Barracks , sell another 10 off, we dont need them and we can relocate and put more accomadation in existing barracks.

cant wait to get issued the new wet gear, get rid of '58 webbing shit, issue DPM helmet covers, start training on GPMG+ shraw sub cal, more and better training and looking forward to seeing the intregrated some time soon.

And also offically dump that FCA title, it wont come soon enough

Comment

I look forward to going into it when I hit 17 (or before if any of you care to tell me it can be done :p) as i want to both get the experience and also the extra 5% on my cadet entry test...

Also, could anyone tell me about extra time you can put in with it? For instance I'd be joining about may after my birthday and then would have the entire summer free so as I could also take up other training as well as the standard unit weekends and the like.

Comment

Herr K - If you join in May you would be lucky to get your clearance and uniform before recruit camp - after camp there would probably be holidays till September.....You could end up like me - only getting to do recruit camp after a year!

Comment

A way out of the t-shirt problem is to but white one and dye them green. Ive done it and now have 8 of them.
                  In my 3 full years of fca, Ive seen the good with the bad. Discipline is gone down. Alot of muppetts have joined, recruit training is gone down hill, dress and drill is now shite and I could go on.
                  On the plus point DPM`s and weapon changes have helped.
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                  http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this old thread again. Now as we head into 2005, what changes have you seen... both good and bad.

Comment

well i cant really comment with an opinion since i only joined last january but from what ive heard, the recruits are treated more harshly than before (in an instructive constructive way) and are questioned a lot more on what theyve learned to see if they actually read the notes theyve taken in the lessons.

Exercises have been well run and again from hearsay are better than years gone by, On these ex's weve had pretty good lectures on trench building and section attacks from PDF NCOs willing to correct mistakes we made, which proves PDF opinions are being challenged and changed.

As for Drill, as one of the recent 2 star grads from my unit, if anyone here saw our display in Mc Kee, barring one silly mistake, we were apparently well received and our drill was impressive on the day. Needless to say we always marched smartly, its been well drilled into us from day one.

The level of instruction in our unit is brilliant, weve some very good NCOs and they know their stuff, a lot of them are hopefully sitting refreshers in the next month or two so that will be an interesting period for privates and recruits.

All in all i think its gradually getting better although im fed up with people asking, "RDF??? whats that??" ... to which i grumble "...yeah ...used to be called FCA"
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Kit and one off guccified training has gone up, unit level training and discipline have vanished and been replaced by butlins for ugly people.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                          Kit and one off guccified training has gone up, unit level training and discipline have vanished and been replaced by butlins for ugly people.
                          If thats what you believe,its your own fault as an instructor. Change the system from within,dont just complain about it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Nothing wrong with my troops, its everyone elses, well actually, particular sub units in my battalion.
                            Then there are of course other units but its harder to judge them fairly.
                            Also I think blaming me or my instructional and leadership techniques for the state of the whole RDF might be seen as a bit extreme by some.
                            Last edited by Come-quickly; 16 December 2004, 00:49.

Comment

Check out the Canadian forces site.

Comment

Working...
                              X