Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Irish people joining the BA?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Irish people joining the BA?

Im just curious to know what you all think of the ever increasing trend of irish and reserves going up north to join the royal irish. I have some friends who are going and who have already gone and i wish them the best.
    Don't mind, wish them the best.
    63.29%
    They are traitors who shouldn't come home.
    6.33%
    Sick of this type of Thread. Move on ffs (added by MOD)
    30.38%

The poll is expired.

Reservists are too ignorant to drop out of anthing. Its a Known Fact.

Roll up roll up, get your old chestnuts here..

Herald or Press

Echooooo

Comment

Bagger

welcome aboard

I cant speak for everyone but

If someone wants to join a foreign Army then thats their right

God bless them and make Ireland proud

for a more indepth analysis of your question

and anyother question you may have- firstly try search function

and if that doesnt elicit what your looking for

then by all means ask the general populace.

Regular posters may notice my new smiling helpful approach
      you have Vosper and the other lad to thank for putting me in my place
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

New years resolution, it wont last I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Bagger63 View Post
          Im just curious to know what you all think of the ever increasing trend of irish and reserves going up north to join the royal irish.......
          I don't think your President would approve.

Click Here For News Report

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDigger View Post
            I don't think your President would approve.

??

The President was referring to WW1, 1914 - 1918.

That was 90 odd years ago.

The question asked by Bagger63 refers to the present where we all live.

Comment

Many a great Irishman has served in the BA and many more Irishmen are serving right now, long may it continue.

They deserve to be praised for having the bottle to join the military regardless of the flag they serve under, so fair play to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                ??

The President was referring to WW1, 1914 - 1918.

That was 90 odd years ago.

The question asked by Bagger63 refers to the present where we all live.
                Interesting point though, some are suggesting An tUchtarain is attempting to "massage" history somewhat, suggesting that the only reason irishmen joined the British forces was because of poverty, rather than that of a fine tradition.

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
                New years resolution, it wont last I tell ya!
                While Hedge is entering into a season of goodwill, spurred by comments from some noob, I shall remain grumpy and cranky.
                Happy new year my arse.
                Last edited by Goldie fish; 8 January 2009, 18:29.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

If you look back through history, an Irishman is as much an integral part of the British Armed Forces as a Gurkha is!
                  Last edited by pmtts; 8 January 2009, 19:11.

Comment

In 1914, the vast majority of the Irish Volunteers followed John Redmond's call formed the National Volunteers and joined the British Army.

But the tradition probably goes back to the foundation of the British Army!

Comment

Rat Packs

God save Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by colonel decker View Post
                        God save Ireland
                        object width="425" height="344">
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

I wouldn't do it myself, but fair play to anyone who joins the BA. Personally I'd prefer to be wearing an Irish flag on my uniform

Comment

ok .........firstly as allready mentioned this has been happening for years and years ! from the time of .............Cromwell ...through the 17 and 1800s when over 45% of the British Army were Irishmen , even through the 70s and 80s when British -Irish relations were at an all time low Guys from all over Ireland including the falls and the Bog side joined the British Army. One point though ..................as allready mentioned somebody said join the Royal Irish . well i would just like to say that there is another Irish regiment that probably the most Irish (in culture and tradition ) of all and that is the Irish Guards !
                            It is a common fact in the Army that the Royal Irish Regiment were and still are ""loyalist-Unionist " in its Regimental culture.This may seem strange to some who read this and asume that it would be anyway being in the BA . However as an Irish Regiment they were formed as a anti catholic Regiment for William III and fought at the battle of the Boyne sometime that is never forgotten .
                            The Irish Guards on the other hand were formed by Queen Victoria in 1900 in honour of the bravery of Irishmen in the Boar war .........simple you may say ..............................................NO!! !! They take some of their tradition from the Irish regiment of Foot Guards formed 1662 and fought for King James at the Boyne then going into exile in France with Sarsfield ...............fighting at fontenoy and beating their old brother Regiments in the Guards ,something that is also not forgotten ! (check out Kiplings poem the Irish Guards )
                            The Irish Guards are unique in many ways in the BA .they are the only Regiment to have their Colours blessed by the Catholic Bishop , they have church parade on tuesdays being given allways by a Cathloic preist which is uniquely posted to the Regiment .
                            Many Rebel tunes are used by the regiment as company marches and pipers and drummers tunes . in summary if you want to join a truely Irish Regiment in the British Army you might as well join the best !

check out
                            Q S

Comment

Originally posted by the drummie View Post
                              ok .........firstly as allready mentioned this has been happening for years and years ! from the time of .............Cromwell ...through the 17 and 1800s when over 45% of the British Army were Irishmen , even through the 70s and 80s when British -Irish relations were at an all time low Guys from all over Ireland including the falls and the Bog side joined the British Army. One point though ..................as allready mentioned somebody said join the Royal Irish . well i would just like to say that there is another Irish regiment that probably the most Irish (in culture and tradition ) of all and that is the Irish Guards !
                              It is a common fact in the Army that the Royal Irish Regiment were and still are ""loyalist-Unionist " in its Regimental culture.This may seem strange to some who read this and asume that it would be anyway being in the BA . However as an Irish Regiment they were formed as a anti catholic Regiment for William III and fought at the battle of the Boyne sometime that is never forgotten .
                              The Irish Guards on the other hand were formed by Queen Victoria in 1900 in honour of the bravery of Irishmen in the Boar war .........simple you may say ..............................................NO!! !! They take some of their tradition from the Irish regiment of Foot Guards formed 1662 and fought for King James at the Boyne then going into exile in France with Sarsfield ...............fighting at fontenoy and beating their old brother Regiments in the Guards ,something that is also not forgotten ! (check out Kiplings poem the Irish Guards )
                              The Irish Guards are unique in many ways in the BA .they are the only Regiment to have their Colours blessed by the Catholic Bishop , they have church parade on tuesdays being given allways by a Cathloic preist which is uniquely posted to the Regiment .
                              Many Rebel tunes are used by the regiment as company marches and pipers and drummers tunes . in summary if you want to join a truely Irish Regiment in the British Army you might as well join the best !

check out
                              Ya but, they have to wear those sh1tty bearskins and Do that ceremonial shite!!!! That wouldn't be fun at all!!!!
                              I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X