Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terry Sweeney

Hi,
    Saw you on here and other places, I remember you from Finner and took over from you in Lebanon with 47th.

I was a Rockhill man by birth, lol.

Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know that we buried Terry Sweeney on Sunday.

He lost his long battle with cancer.

L.S.
    this sad information was sent to me via another Forum, Corporal Terry Sweeney (as he was then) was one of the first corporals I had anything to do with when arriving at Finner Camp, and being assigned to S.P. Company, back in the days of the wooden huts.

We also spent a lot of time in the sand dunes of Finner, filling sandbags with Terry and I recall him saying in his soft "Scottish" brogue "My ambition is to see all of that (indicates the fast rolling hills of sand) put into sandbags as soon as possible!"

And: "Stop your cribbing, as kids your parents took you to the beach to play in the sand on holiday, and here today the Army are paying you to play in the sand,!"

I also spent time with him in guarding Sligo Post office during the Bank Strike in the mid 1970's where he showed us young "redarses" how to strip and assemble the Gustaf., as well as talking about the time he was in the British Army prior to joining the P.D.F.

I trained as a Regimental Signal man then was assigned to H.Q. Company, but I did many patrols with him over the years.

May he + Rest In Peace +

We also spent a lot of time in the sand dunes of Finner, filling sandbags with Terry and I recall him saying in his soft "Scottish" brogue "My ambition is to see all of that (indicates the fast rolling hills of sand) put into sandbags as soon as possible!"

And: "Stop your cribbing, as kids your parents took you to the beach to play in the sand on holiday, and here today the Army are paying you to play in the sand,!"

he sounds like good crack CS

sad to see another good lad go

RIP
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

R.i.p.
      Go Mairidís Beo