X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policeman Murdered in Northern Ireland

Outrage at PSNI officer's murder
    Tuesday, 10 March 2009 07:17
    There has been widespread condemnation of the killing of a PSNI officer in Craigavon Co Armagh.
    At around 9.45pm last night, police were responding to a request for assistance from a member of the public at Lismore Manor in the town.
    Two police vehicles arrived in the area. As officers got out of one of the vehicles it appears that gunshots were fired at them.
    One officer was struck by gunfire and has subsequently died from his wounds.
    The victim has more than 20 years experience and was well known in the area.
    He is the first policeman to be murdered in Northern Ireland since 1997 and his death comes two days after the Real IRA killed two British soldiers in Antrim.
    The Taoiseach said it was with deep sadness and disgust that he learnt of what he called the despicable murder of a policeman as he was doing his duty in serving the community.
    President McAleese expressed her outrage saying those who carried out the killing and that of the two soldiers were acting in utter defiance of the clearly expressed will of the Irish people.
    The Chief Constable Sir High Orde said the killing would not affect how the PSNI responded to incidents and they would continue to deliver their service to the community.
    He said: 'We are used to being attacked, but we will not step back. It is a sad day for the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
    'Today a police officer with his colleagues responding to a call for help from a vulnerable person in the community was gunned down.
    'This will not put off me or my officers delivering the service we do to the communities we paid to protect. That will continue unrelenting as it has done in the threat that we have been facing for nine to 12 months.
    'We will continue to deliver that service regardless of the threat but mindful of it.'
    Northern Ireland's First Minister and DUP leader Peter Robinson (below) said he was sickened at the attempts by terrorists to destabilise the community.
    He said those responsible would not be allowed to drag the community back to the past.
    The Northern Secretary Shaun Woodward said the renewed violence would not stop the peace process.
    Local Sinn Féin Assembly member John O'Dowd the shooting was wrong and would not advance the goals of republicans.
    SDLP MLA and Policing Board member Dolores Kelly, said the PSNI needed the support of the community to tackle those who wanted to turn back the clock.
    Ulster Unionist deputy leader Danny Kennedy said people would not allow themselves to be dragged back to a darker, bloodier world.

RIP condolences to his family and friends. Hopefully the perpetrators will be caught and face the full force of the law.

Comment

RIP and sincere condolonces to this brave mans famil, friends and comrades.

This was NOT done in my name.
      Last edited by johnny no stars; 10 March 2009, 23:08.
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

May he + Rest In Peace +

another innocent victim.

Sympathy to his family, friends and comrades.

Comment

RIP to the man and my deepest condolences to his family.

I concur with hedgie on this, It is not done in my name.
          Last edited by johnny no stars; 10 March 2009, 23:08.
          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

Rip

Comment

Suspect arrested in the shooting of the Policeman.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

God Bless and rest in Peace

Comment

I moved this thread in to this section from General. I believe it should remain here.

RIP

Comment

I had hoped that we had seen the last of this type of horror. My thoughts and prayers are with the deceased policemans family and collegues. He is the first and hopefully last member of the PSNI to suffer such a fate. This outrage has achieved nothing but sorrow. Northern is a seperate political to the Republic. People on both side of the border voted in favour of this.

Comment

where is little willie now. saying how unimportant the border posts are now that THEY have gone away.. this seems to be getting worse by the day and has being brewing for the last 18 months with the grafitti appearing again in nationalists areas..sad times .

Comment

The border posts are unimportant. Policing is not the job of the Army.

R.I.P.

2 in custody now.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Rest in Peace.
                          Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

Rest in Peace.
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Rest in Peace.

My sympathies go towards his family, friends and colleagues in these dark days.
                              Last edited by johnny no stars; 10 March 2009, 23:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X