Getting Grounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Grounded

Hi all, how does a driver go about getting grounded ? I've heard all the barrack room lawyer stuff but is there any DFR, Admin Instr, Directive etc that covers this ? Thanks in advance.

Nixer

Define "grounded"......

Comment

sorry, should have been clearer, grounded as in relieved of driving duties/hand in af154

Comment

I presume the Corps Director (TVM or Cavalry (whichever one issued it) just has to sign a letter saying your 154 is revoked, as they issued it.

I don't remember it in DSOs.

The way you word it looks as if you don't want to be a driver anymore rather than someone trying to take it off you?

Truckdriver or luchi would be the ones to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by ptenixer View Post
          sorry, should have been clearer, grounded as in relieved of driving duties/hand in af154
          First of all Why???

Secondly, I'm sure if you made your application in writing to your CO, he would then forward it on to the BTO. Chain of command and all that mallarky.

If on the other hand it's for medical reasons, Then I'm sure you would have to go through the MO.
          Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

Crashing into the BTOs car works.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by ptenixer View Post
              Hi all, how does a driver go about getting grounded ? I've heard all the barrack room lawyer stuff but is there any DFR, Admin Instr, Directive etc that covers this ? Thanks in advance.

Nixer
              That has to be the strangest question to date.

Once charged with an offence or under investigation for something, like hitting the BTO's car your Tpt O can ground you for the duration. However this is at your COs pleasure and you can find that although technically grounded you can be put on stand to as duty driver etc.

If found guilty of an offence or negligent a court marshal can relieve you of your AF154. Again it is at the pleasure of the court to decide. The one exception to this is if found intoxicated with drink or drugs while driving. In such case, not sure the PDF rule but for RDF you will be shown the gate and told not to return

If you are banned from driving by a civvi court you will be suspended from driving military vehicles for the duration of that ban

but I really need to know why you are asking?

BTW we had a guy hit the GOC's car. He got a slap on the wrist then put back to driving.
              Last edited by luchi; 18 March 2009, 17:12.
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

normally a lad would have a good reason not to drive any more

and he would apply to the CO

the CO would say yeah or nay

but if a lad wants to stop driving you can bet that the CO wont force him
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Hi all,
                  As far as I'm aware, any DF-issued qualification can be turned in, at the holder's request, without any fear of official grief. I certainly remember one driver having his 154 taken off him because he was basically a menace on the road and had several minor crashes on his record. Another was stripped of his 154, allegedly because he had put in quite a few claims against the DoD because of accidents he had been part of. I also remember at least one aircraft inspector in the Don turning in his 692 (inspector authorisation) because he didn't want to hold the responsibility anymore. There were also enlisted aircrew who handed back their flight authorisation because of the flying pay dispute.
                  regards
                  GttC

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    normally a lad would have a good reason not to drive any more

and he would apply to the CO

the CO would say yeah or nay
                    Ptenixer sent me a pm explaining he did that and the CO said nay. Also his CO said there was no mechanism to hand back your 154.

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                    Hi all,
                    As far as I'm aware, any DF-issued qualification can be turned in, at the holder's request, without any fear of official grief. I certainly remember one driver having his 154 taken off him because he was basically a menace on the road and had several minor crashes on his record. Another was stripped of his 154, allegedly because he had put in quite a few claims against the DoD because of accidents he had been part of. I also remember at least one aircraft inspector in the Don turning in his 692 (inspector authorisation) because he didn't want to hold the responsibility anymore. There were also enlisted aircrew who handed back their flight authorisation because of the flying pay dispute.
                    regards
                    GttC
                    Any one can go through the motion of "handing" back qualifications however its whats on your record that counts.

I can only imagine the sort of turmoil that would ensue if things were made so easy.

Lets say someone or group decided that they didn't want to carry a steyr while driving a truck could they "hand back" their styre qualifications and training and then only fire the pistol?
                    Last edited by luchi; 19 March 2009, 16:46.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

NO they couldnt

but you can as I said apply to your CO to be grounded

explain your reason and the CO will then decide

an example- not based on any one living or dead

Pte X is a driver who witnessed something gorey in the Leb

involving a car accident- every time he got in behind the wheel he had flash backs

he explained this to the CO and the CO on an ad hoc basis took his licence back

the CO was of the wise opinion- that if he ordered this man behind the wheel

and if the guy had severe flash backs any thing could happen

he (the CO ) had a duty of care twards this guy and any one this guy could come in contact with

I cannot comment on your case- but as you can see it is possible.

Comment

So it is basically at your COs pleasure.

I know a number of 154 holder that do not drive.

None are "grounded" they are just not asked to drive for numerous reasons.

—Frederick the Great,

Comment

Now you have it

grounded in Military Parlance can either be a temp thing from the CO or even the CS /Tpt Sgt

or a permanet/ temp thing from the Director

Comment

hedgehog is right

if you have a reason not to drive, but a forced to do it. and something happens
                            that could be used in a civvy court. so i beleive CO's will ground you
                            they could not take a chance

but your reason would have to have basis, not just "i get stuck for all weekend duties"
                            hurry up and wait, are you back yet

Comment

Consciencieous Objector, due to the condition of some army vehicles?

If this was the case I wouldn't blame the guy.

I think until the details are made available its all pure conjecture.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                              X