PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Camp

Bobert
24th March 2009, 02:57
Hey guys,

Apologies if there's already a thread. I looked but couldn't find one.

I've my recruit camp starting shortly [MOD: Date & Location Snip].

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, bring, do and just other bits of info that might help.

Thanks

LaochGlas
24th March 2009, 11:43
Don't be afraid to ask your NCO's. Bring Civvie clothes / PT gear, one of my lads turned up last year and his only civvie gear was a pair of shoes slacks and a shirt....needless to say he ended up having to play foot ball in his good shoes.

Polish
Mycill + Zip Lock bags
Pens / Paper
Black Tape
Washing Powder
Deoderant
SHOWER GEL
TOWELS (Get yourself a travel towel)
FLIP FLOPS (you really dont want to be barefoot in the showers)
RAZOR
Hangers
Organize an iron/extension lead between you and few buddies.
Someone usually brings "Motviational" Magazines:biggrin:
Cash (not too much but enough to see you through and for the last night session)
Sun Cream
Phone Charger
Dont bring anything valuable that can be Broken/Robbed

Most importantly bring a sense of humor and positive attitude and you'll be grand.

Joshua
24th March 2009, 14:24
Hi Bobert & welcome to the board.

This question has been asked before and was even asked by me when I was a lad, you might find some additional helpful information to that supplied by Laochglas if you click HERE (http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=1160)

Never ever click on my signature. :biggrin:

Truck Driver
24th March 2009, 15:16
Another useful resource...

http://www.62infantry.com/Recruit_Camp_Kit_List.shtml

Good thinking on the extension lead, LaochGlas.

On the subject of the "motivational" magazines, if that is what I think
they are, be advised there will also be female personnel on the
recruit training. Need I say anymore ?

Bobert
24th March 2009, 16:55
Thanks guys. Also, what will I be doing? Will there be on the ground stuff or will I be stuck in a classroom for the two weeks?

DeV
24th March 2009, 18:29
It will be mixed between basic tactics, the square and the classroom.

Some of the subjects can be found here - http://www.62infantry.com/Training.shtml

Bobert
24th March 2009, 23:12
Right lads, thanks for the help but it turns out that the camps been cancelled due to cutbacks.

jamiered17
31st March 2009, 19:18
I cant wait to join the PDF,but do you think i should join the RDF for 2 or 3 years,then go for the PDF,,

Connaught Stranger
31st March 2009, 21:15
I cant wait to join the PDF,but do you think i should join the RDF for 2 or 3 years,then go for the PDF,,

Depends on your age, joining the Reserve would give you an insight into how the military functions and provide some pointers should you eventually take the plunge and decide to join up full-time. Go for it.

Connaught Stranger.:biggrin:

DeV
1st April 2009, 08:40
There is a ban on recruitment to the PDF untill end 2010, so join the RDF in the mean time.

Mad P
8th April 2009, 13:34
Our recruit camp was cancelled for this week.. Cut backs & all that :-(
We're worried we might lose some of the new recruits over it as this was what they've been building up to..

Truck Driver
8th April 2009, 19:12
We're worried we might lose some of the new recruits over it as this was what they've been building up to..

We' ve pretty much been told (subject to confirmation) that the recruits we had
in train through the paper trail, are gone....

A complete kick where it hurts to all concerned

The only upside to it all is that the Instructors concerned now have
an opportunity to concentrate on upskilling themselves for the next couple of years

trellheim
8th April 2009, 20:31
Wrong. Decision not final yet re "in flight". Am watching this v. carefully. Deffo no new clearances accepted though.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 20:43

That's an easter camp though. So it's OK. That's not a recruit camp. In fact there is no place in the sylabus that says recruits have to have a camp before their 2 weeks whereever they do recruit training. The Induction Sylabus is only 21 hours. any more than that is extra. Then they have 2 weeks FTT. They don't really need anymore camp's. The mandays, given the current economic situation are more suited in other place's.

If they have been attested and are in uniform they are safe, otherwise they are not safe at all.

Given mandays have been cut to 14 with the requestability for a further 7 if truly required, then the recruits are OK. They will have 14 days training whereever for recruit camp and they should be damn happy to get that because it means they escaped where 1400 pothential recruits didn't.

Truck Driver
8th April 2009, 21:14
Wrong. Decision not final yet re "in flight". Am watching this v. carefully. Deffo no new clearances accepted though.

..... which is why I said "subject to confirmation"

There were many long faces when the news was broken, all the same....

In fact there is no place in the sylabus that says recruits have to have a camp before their 2 weeks whereever they do recruit training...

The syllabus specifies that Module 1 is to be conducted at unit level, consisting of
training nights, field days and weekends - no mention of FTT to cover Module 1, although
I can think of one sub unit which did this last year

Can someone tell me what the TI/TS/TC number for the Induction Syllabus is please ?

riflemangundy
8th April 2009, 21:28
Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile:

Goldie fish
8th April 2009, 21:29
Logistically, Bere Island is a nightmare anyway.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 21:33
..... which is why I said "subject to confirmation"

There were many long faces when the news was broken, all the same....

The syllabus specifies that Module 1 is to be conducted at unit level, consisting of
training nights, field days and weekends - no mention of FTT to cover Module 1, although
I can think of one sub unit which did this last year

Can someone tell me what the TI/TS/TC number for the Induction Syllabus is please ?

I can think of a few, including my own. In fact I am lead to believe that this is the first year in many where it was not carried out. But, it was to be expected given cutbacks. It's nice to give them the camp, but in fairness, it is not needed. Especially since no matter how far ahead the recruits are they will have to repeat everything ad nauseum when the do their recruit camp.

Some trivia, apparently, according to 1bderdf.com, the recruit training is changing this year. With some Units doing there own (or banding together to do it.) and One unit taking over the majority of the recruits. You can check out yourself which unit's it is. (I am assuming here that 1bderdf.com is an official entity and that this information is meant for the public.)

This will however lead to a difference in training standards. Given 2 of the unit's who are training their own would have recruits at a good standard already and will likely not be repeating the same training for the benefit of those who don't attend occupied posts, and therefore don't have the oppertunity to train on proper equiptment regularily.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 21:36
Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile:

You bastard, you posted that, while I went on a nice longwinded one!!! Fecker!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

trellheim
8th April 2009, 21:44
TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.

Goldie fish
8th April 2009, 21:53
"That may be how its done in your old unit, but it isn't how we do it here".

trellheim
8th April 2009, 22:01
Yarr. Back to old-style half-wits again.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 22:05

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.

I kind of agree and disagree with you here. It means there is no standard across the board. But It also means those recruits who have put in the time and learned loads before Recruit camp are not held back by those who haven't.

I was on Bere Island in 2007 (I think), and was trained by some Infantry lads, at the time I thought they were fantastic, putting on that whole "USMC Drill Instructor" Routine, complete with USMC cadences, but now that I have matured a bit I realise it was all Bull. I came back with worse marching than I went down with. I was being trained by a Cpl who had literally come off her Pot's course the week before, and while she wasn't bad, noone was keeping an eye on here to make sure she was OK. I took it about as serious a most do. (That is, Irish college with a bit more discipline) I was out scoring one girl or another every night after I sorted my kit out. But still I can't help but think it was a bit stupid.

There was no instruction given on the ranges, just a Cpl, who I actually know now, who was told to just make sure I didn't shoot anyone. (Not me specifically obviously.)

There were lads on ED and LD everyday for no reason, basically the Medics would put anyone who wanted it on ED or LD.

There were people who had never seen the AUG. Cpl's coming in the 30 mins before training began after a night on the urine.

We did get a visit from General Nash and some Colonel though, which was good.

It was all a bit false though now that I think back, it just was, in retrospect, a Joke.

The only new thing I remember learning down there was about the Arty Collar badges!!! That was off an Arty NCO who was instructing a different Platoon.

There were some good bit's but in general I found the Centralised training to be a bit of a joke.

I agree with it in principle, but the unit's hosting seemed to take it as all a good mess rather than saving it for the Mess at night.

Barry
8th April 2009, 22:11
If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 22:13
If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! (But it was 3 night's!!!):biggrin::biggrin:

riflemangundy
8th April 2009, 22:13
Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

the training was a joke. go look at the bebo pics.. a ****in joke.

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 22:17
Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

Don't mention the Bebo pics, the pseudo-lesbian antics that happen are disgraceful to see online.

I have a thing,

Funny when it happens,
Funny when you talk about it.

UNfunny when you see it on Bebo because Camwhore's can't stop.

WilcoOut
8th April 2009, 22:19
ask the Air Defence recruits from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Batt. theyd have killed to be on previous recruit camps!

small units need these camps for their units as their small numbers cannot get the resources needed as where a gagle of infantry can.

i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit

Barry
8th April 2009, 22:20

Well that means the instruction is shite - the unit commander should be getting a grip of his officers and NCOs and asking what sort of circus they're running, and Bde should be getting a grip of said unit commander for the shite troops that are being produced.

i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit
What dazzler and riflemangundy are saying would tend to indicate that the yahoos instructing on recruit camps (in the south at least) aren't competent enough to take command of their own bowel movements, never mind to train recruits properly.

WilcoOut
8th April 2009, 22:24
wasnt there a huge NCO sent home from the Glen last year due to unfair troops?

Dazzler
8th April 2009, 22:24
ask the Air Defence recruits from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Batt. theyd have killed to be on previous recruit camps!

small units need these camps for their units as their small numbers cannot get the resources needed as where a gagle of infantry can.

The 4AD Have been in the last 3 2 years at least.

Infantry have been running previous camps in the South. Refer to my post on the last Page. Regarding the fact that it sucked.

What dazzler and riflemangundy are saying would tend to indicate that the yahoos instructing on recruit camps (in the south at least) aren't competent enough to take command of their own bowel movements, never mind to train recruits properly.

While I know there are some good NCO's in Infantry. This is what I am basically saying.

riflemangundy
8th April 2009, 22:42
Yes some of the instructors are good but come off it,, iv had people still not competent to strip the fcuking steyr rifle like,,,,,

Bring back unit based training where the unit can send the best instructors available.
Im not saying crucify them like our own RDFSAS friends:rolleyes: just train them to have respect and confidence to do what they have to do because they were not getting it on the island

trellheim
8th April 2009, 22:56
Didn't I have a good long rant about this a couple of months ago and the Equalizer called me on it ?

Truck Driver
8th April 2009, 23:06

Cheers Trellheim

Am I reading this correctly ? Corps units' recruits will not be trained
centrally by 62 FAR ?

Seeing as the Inf Bns and Arty Regts train their
own in house anyway....

Units will be responsible for training their own recruits. Big disadvantages
I see in this are:

1. Some units would not have sufficient staff to do this (Recruit FTT)

2. Instrs could be pigeonholed for years doing this, to the detriment of their
own career progression...

concussion
9th April 2009, 10:08

We can consolidate the recruits in a single recruit camp and take instructors from three battery's. Usually have 30 or 40 - it works well TBH, granted there are less logistical problems sending them to a centralised camp like Bere Island but it's not a nightmare when we run our own. :smile:

hedgehog
9th April 2009, 12:06
Psuedo lesbian antics captured on Bebo

I dont beleive it

PM me the pics just to prove it

Truck Driver
9th April 2009, 18:53
We can consolidate the recruits in a single recruit camp and take instructors from three battery's. Usually have 30 or 40 - it works well TBH, granted there are less logistical problems sending them to a centralised camp like Bere Island but it's not a nightmare when we run our own. :smile:

The obvious solution to conducting Recruit Training for the RDF AD Btys is to centralise the
training for all Btys in DFTC - loads of room, facilities, etc etc

DeV
9th April 2009, 19:10
IMHO:
Recruit Module 2 - centralised at unit/bde level
2*-3* - centralised at unit/bde level
Corps training/annual camps - Corps Concentrations

The_Equalizer
9th April 2009, 19:52
Didn't I have a good long rant about this a couple of months ago and the Equalizer called me on it ?

Remind me

concussion
9th April 2009, 23:24
The obvious solution to conducting Recruit Training for the RDF AD Btys is to centralise the
training for all Btys in DFTC - loads of room, facilities, etc etc

Well, that's where everyone else will be training :wink:
That's where I did mine and it will probably be there again this year.

However I reckon that the most obvious solution would be a brigade with the facilities, the instructors and the capability to do it centrally and not have to throw it back to individual units. Oh well.

Joshua
9th April 2009, 23:47
Remind me

HERE (http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=14512&page=8)ish

Truck Driver
10th April 2009, 00:08
IMHO:
Recruit Module 2 - centralised at unit/bde level
2*-3* - centralised at unit/bde level
Corps training/annual camps - Corps Concentrations

The first two are already happening for Corps units !

Inf Bns train their own recruits in house......
As you probably know, 62 FAR has done the Recruit Module 2 training
for Corps units on E Bde for the last 2 years now (or is it 3 ?)

The Cavalry Corps are doing the third one for near on 10 years now, with the advent of the
PSO exercises

Dazzler
10th April 2009, 10:57
The reason there is going to be no fully centralised Recruit training in the Southern Brigade is because the man who brought it in, Lt. Col. O' Meara (PDF Ret) brought it in. And now that he is retired people want it back to the old ways.

DeV
10th April 2009, 11:05
Centralised recruit training:
In East - 1 unit is tasked by Bde to run recruit training for all units in the Bde
In South - 1 location is set by Bde for recruit training and all units bring their recruits there and train them
In West - ?

Dazzler
10th April 2009, 11:10
Centralised recruit training:
In East - 1 unit is tasked by Bde to run recruit training for all units in the Bde
In South - 1 location is set by Bde for recruit training and all units bring their recruits there and train them
In West - ?

I'm pretty sure one unit runs the camp, and request instructors from various Units because they don't have enough.

mallen83
9th May 2009, 01:02
My opinion on this is that all recruit training camps should be conducted under the BTC, and that way they are at a higher standard. And standardised by the people who are running the show in terms of getting NCOs up to standard too.

However, I do recognise that the BTC would be under resourced to accomodate such an idea.
But I would suggest that all NCOs requested to attend the camp should have achieved a grade B on a PNCO course.
Thereby ensuring that they have a high standard of training and that they would be up to the task of training recruits, and ensuring that all instructors are up to a high level.
As opposed to the way it is done at the minute - whereby it is down to whatever NCOs are available.

Post PNCO course, that instructor has grown into a better instructor, and is better suited for passing on what they know and moulding peole into soldiers in their own image.

I know this is not an ideal probability, but its a good place to start. The centralised training of all recruits is one of the very few good things that the re-org managed to successfully implement.
Getting rid of it is a bad move in my eyes.

Dazzler
9th May 2009, 02:03
This year would be the easiest year to have a fully centralised Recruit camp. There are only 232 recruits in the whole country, Are there any locations that could handle that number?

Or they could be split into 2 groups and train them like that.

Rather what they will do is the 3 Bde's having 1 recruit camp each.

If they had one Central Recruit course it would cost less and the best instructors could be requested for it.

How many Instructors would be needed.

1 Cpl. per 10 Bods. So 23 Cpl's.
1 Sgt. Per 3 Cpl's, So 8 Sgt's
1 CQMS for the camp. (Given there are actually 3 Coy's worth of Troops, Maybe there should be 3, and 1 BQMS, but there is no location that I know of, that is a likely location, which would hold the stores necessary for all these Coy's.)
1 CS per 3 Platoons. So 3 CS's
1 Sgt Maj per Comdt. So 1 Sgt. Maj.
1 Lt. Per 1 Sgt. So 8 Lt's.
1 Capt. Per 3 Lt's, + 1 Capt who is EO of the camp, so 4 Capt's.
1 Comdt. Per 3 Capt. 1 Comdt.

So 44 NCO's/Officers. 232 Recruits.

That's 276 personnel.

Then Security, but it may be illegal for me to post the numbers needed up here so I won't. But in total maybe 70 more personnel just for general duties around the camp.

So that brings the number to 346.

This number includes what I assume would be needed for various Duties.

Is there any place that could handle all these Personnel for one 2 week period?

it would probably cost less to have the camp for one 2 week length of time rather than splitting

It could cause some Logistical problems I know. Such as, how do you fire 232 recruits in one 2 week period. But I still think it is doable.

Bere Island is out because the cookhouse couldn't handle that many people.

Lahinch has no range and the same.

The Glen is perfectly sized, but no Small Arms range. Would bringing them to the Curragh be Feasible?

Well this is just me thinking out loud. What do ye think of this thought?

EDIT: Also started Crunching the numbers on Pay. It would cost Approx €219,300 for the 2 weeks of training for just the Pay of Personnel who are listed above. This doesn't include the Cadre or Duties Personnel. It also doesn't include any ancillary costs.

I would imagine however that all cost's in the final cost would come to in the region of €400,000. Given the fuel consumption, Pay of Personnel due to more Duties, and Food would increase if the Training is Spread across the 3 Bde's, I feel this is Probably the most cost effective way to carry out the Training.

I know I have not thought of everything, but still, I think this is the way it should be done this year. If never again. Also, it could prove that the RDF can run something bigger than a Piss-Up.

So, thoughts, comment's, arguements.

madmark
9th May 2009, 02:15
how many bods can you fit into kilworth

Dazzler
9th May 2009, 02:23
how many bods can you fit into kilworth

With Tentage used, Alot, but how big is the Cookhouse there? That is another Good location actually.

ZULU
9th May 2009, 10:37
major construction in place in kilworth. However its stopped half way through due to the contractor folding

Goldie fish
9th May 2009, 11:49
It seems the OPW is lacking when it comes to seeking a bond from those they engage in construction.

trellheim
9th May 2009, 13:14
DFTC would be the perfect place to house said course, with tentage. A wonderful idea to have a fully central camp , in fact if you created a once-off training Battalion and did the 3-star course too at the same time you could do it all in one go.

DeV
9th May 2009, 13:50
Something along the lines of a TA summer challenge, you'd be talking around 6 weeks solid, there are 232 recruits, th/at a total of 9744 mandays (not including instructors & admin logs personnel).

Thats 65% of the East's manday allocation.

Truck Driver
9th May 2009, 14:24
Something along the lines of a TA summer challenge, you'd be talking around 6 weeks solid, there are 232 recruits, th/at a total of 9744 mandays (not including instructors & admin logs personnel).

Thats 65% of the East's manday allocation

Yes, but that's the THREE brigades recruit allocation, not just E Bde....

Thus all three Bdes would be expected to supply instructors, naturally enough

RDFTA could assist with the co-ordination, pre course briefing for attached Instrs, etc.

Not a bad idea when you look at it like that.

But putting recruits into tentage, nope, wouldn't go for that.

As someone said before (think it was JNS), recruits have to learn the basics of keeping
accommodation and ablutions in proper order before they progress to roughing it ....

SwiftandSure
10th May 2009, 08:06
But putting recruits into tentage, nope, wouldn't go for that.

As someone said before (think it was JNS), recruits have to learn the basics of keeping
accommodation and ablutions in proper order before they progress to roughing it ....

I agree, you need a barrack block for initial training. I wouldn't expect recruits living out of tents to be able to iron their kit; unless the DF are supplying power to the tents as well?
The alternative being recruits pressing uniforms with heated mess tins! Improvise, adapt and overcome being the lesson of that day!

ZULU
10th May 2009, 12:39
If the Kilworth Project was ever finished there would be MORE than enough accomodation. The problem then becomes that there is no class room facilities up to Grade 1 or even grade 2 standard for training.

The plus sides is that the tactical area is close and fieldcraft and such are taught and practises whee they should be. On the other side though the other support facilities (Armoury etc) are too small to facilitate this mass training also.

I whole heartedly agree with the concept but at the present time with the current attitudes and fumbling of the training in all aspects of the reserve as well as its future, you have to wonder if anyone in the higher echelons is listening or willing to make a positive move

riflemangundy
10th May 2009, 22:19
This year would be the easiest year to have a fully centralised Recruit camp. There are only 232 recruits in the whole country, Are there any locations that could handle that number?

Or they could be split into 2 groups and train them like that.

Rather what they will do is the 3 Bde's having 1 recruit camp each.

If they had one Central Recruit course it would cost less and the best instructors could be requested for it.

How many Instructors would be needed.

1 Cpl. per 10 Bods. So 23 Cpl's.
1 Sgt. Per 3 Cpl's, So 8 Sgt's
1 CQMS for the camp. (Given there are actually 3 Coy's worth of Troops, Maybe there should be 3, and 1 BQMS, but there is no location that I know of, that is a likely location, which would hold the stores necessary for all these Coy's.)
1 CS per 3 Platoons. So 3 CS's
1 Sgt Maj per Comdt. So 1 Sgt. Maj.
1 Lt. Per 1 Sgt. So 8 Lt's.
1 Capt. Per 3 Lt's, + 1 Capt who is EO of the camp, so 4 Capt's.
1 Comdt. Per 3 Capt. 1 Comdt.

So 44 NCO's/Officers. 232 Recruits.

That's 276 personnel.

Then Security, but it may be illegal for me to post the numbers needed up here so I won't. But in total maybe 70 more personnel just for general duties around the camp.

So that brings the number to 346.

This number includes what I assume would be needed for various Duties.

Is there any place that could handle all these Personnel for one 2 week period?

it would probably cost less to have the camp for one 2 week length of time rather than splitting

It could cause some Logistical problems I know. Such as, how do you fire 232 recruits in one 2 week period. But I still think it is doable.

Bere Island is out because the cookhouse couldn't handle that many people.

Lahinch has no range and the same.

The Glen is perfectly sized, but no Small Arms range. Would bringing them to the Curragh be Feasible?

Well this is just me thinking out loud. What do ye think of this thought?

EDIT: Also started Crunching the numbers on Pay. It would cost Approx €219,300 for the 2 weeks of training for just the Pay of Personnel who are listed above. This doesn't include the Cadre or Duties Personnel. It also doesn't include any ancillary costs.

I would imagine however that all cost's in the final cost would come to in the region of €400,000. Given the fuel consumption, Pay of Personnel due to more Duties, and Food would increase if the Training is Spread across the 3 Bde's, I feel this is Probably the most cost effective way to carry out the Training.

I know I have not thought of everything, but still, I think this is the way it should be done this year. If never again. Also, it could prove that the RDF can run something bigger than a Piss-Up.

So, thoughts, comment's, arguements.

Coolmoney holds 402 so i was told

Goldie fish
11th May 2009, 05:06
It may hold 402, but most of the time those 402 are not in the camp. Recruit training means for the most part, they would be. Last time I looked in Coolmoney, there was one shed you could use as a classroom. Two if you took over the mess.

Not suitable at all.

DeV
11th May 2009, 08:16
The up to 402 who be the accomodiation available & dining facilities. In an emergency, I suppose you could use the 2 wpns cleaning rooms as classrooms but they are less than ideal.

Coolmoney would be suitable for a centralised all RDF 2*-3* camp, neither Kilbride or the Curragh are a million miles away in order to fire the GPMG. Tents would suiffice for training rooms for the 2*s.

Truck Driver
11th May 2009, 20:01
The Glen might be OK for a 2* to 3* course, as there is less emphasis on
FD/AD in the syllabus compared to the Recruit Training Syllabus

Need a square area to do FD/AD lessons, also a proper bks block to
introduce the recruit to how to square away a billet, etc.

Also good for those times when you need to introduce "unit interior economy" into
the equation..... :smile: :wink:

seven.sixtwo
4th December 2009, 18:38
Don't be afraid to ask your NCO's. Bring Civvie clothes / PT gear, one of my lads turned up last year and his only civvie gear was a pair of shoes slacks and a shirt....needless to say he ended up having to play foot ball in his good shoes.

Polish
Mycill + Zip Lock bags
Pens / Paper
Black Tape
Washing Powder
Deoderant
SHOWER GEL
TOWELS (Get yourself a travel towel)
FLIP FLOPS (you really dont want to be barefoot in the showers)
RAZOR
Hangers
Organize an iron/extension lead between you and few buddies.
Someone usually brings "Motviational" Magazines:biggrin:
Cash (not too much but enough to see you through and for the last night session)
Sun Cream
Phone Charger
Dont bring anything valuable that can be Broken/Robbed

Most importantly bring a sense of humor and positive attitude and you'll be grand.

dont forget a hoover as well