Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headsets and comms equipment.....

Hi all,
    In the aviation world, there are, unless you go East, three types of headset jack plugs.One for aircraft, one for helicopters and a more moderm multi-pin type for Airbuses.What's the story with AFV headsets/helmets? Do they have a common type of plug or what?
    regards
    GttC

You know, I'm surprised the eggspurts haven't answered you up to now. In my short time in armour, I wore two crew helmet/intercoms. Neither were compatable, but did the exact same job. The later type had better protection, with the added bonus of being able to select which output you were using.

They all connect to the car with two screw in multi pin jacks. plug in the pins, screw it tight.
    The earlier type and the later type both had drop leads, that allowed you to break connection if you had to leave the car in a hurry, without hanging the user at the same time. However the drop leads on the newer model were completely different to those on the older. They were not compatible. It seems the earlier type was fine for the AN/PRC46 fitout, but not for the singcars. Different Comms Boxes.

This is the current system.
    Much more comfy than the old one...

I assume however, if you hopped into an armoured vehicle that used the SINGCARS, your helmet should work...
    Maybe...

So I guess the answer is no.?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The current vehicle intercom is called ROVIS if that helps (at least that is what MOWAGs have).

Comment

I am 10 years out now but this was the standard connector up to the time left.

It was used with all the VRC/PRC family of radio,s and with the AM1780 intercom system that were fitted to the armour then in service. There was an older tyoe of intercomm system in some armour based on a French design but I cannot remember what type of connector was used.

I don’t know what type of of system is fitted to the Mowags but if it is based on the AM1760 system then this connector is the one in use.

The AM1780 is an American system and was in wide spread use.

The crew helmet in use was the Gentex DH132.

Last edited by B Inman; 29 April 2009, 22:15.

Comment

Not sure if this is the fit in the MOWAG but it is ROVIS:

Comment

Does that mean that you couldn't go from a Panhard/AML to a Mowag without changing headgear/connections?....are they powered off the vehicle or the radio?
            regards
            GttC

Comment

The Gentex was the old Panhard helmet. The Cobham is the new one. They look similar, but are not compatible.
              The Rovis Replaced the AM1780(and not before time) most of them were U/S in any case. The Rovis was introduced when the Mowag arrived. It took a few years for the Panhard to be converted.

They are powered off the car. When the car stops all goes quiet...

Comment

In my short time in armour, I wore two crew helmet/intercoms. Neither were compatable
                Would one of them be mine perhaps..lol

never mind about the interconncetivity ( yes I made that one up!) getting a helmet with a head set that worked was a near miracle.

Tow things that did work for comms between the comander were a good boot in the back..and eye contact.

How was the latter established..when the driver stood on the brakes and the commader loomed over the turret to meet him eye to eye.

internal comms were one thing..getting comms witha nother car was miraclous.

the only person I have ever met who actually maged to fix the internal comms in a car was Kermit, proving that you indeed had to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Compatibilty..think french and American in the one space..how could it ever work!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The rovis works excellently. Many a driver will go home without two footprints in his back.

As for car to car, motorola....

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post

As for car to car, motorola....
                    Which service provider? Vodafone? 3? O2?
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

We at one point used Motorolas for in car coms although it did cause some confusion for cars travelling in convoy
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                        We at one point used Motorolas for in car coms although it did cause some confusion for cars travelling in convoy
                        o god dont remind me nightmare
                        all ill say is CRASH if hes driving youll be praying for a 6 point harness and roll bars that man has some back all the lads that pressed HARD on it for him to stop the car
                        Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Ah be fair to crash. I was only in one near miss with him. Hes fine if you dont talk to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Hes fine if you dont talk to him.
                            and thats the truth
                            Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

'Crash' managed to 'wadi two landrovers , both with blown head gaskets, hit a swinging gate at speed with a nissan, drive an AML 60 an into the ground, knock the wheel off a MAN 4 X 2 TCV and write off an an ambulance and the car involved.

More damage than an 84mm.

And he still continues to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X