No announcement yet.

What Reccession? More big stuff coming.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Reccession? More big stuff coming.

New tender for heavy recovery vehicles. Never fails to amaze me at the cost for these types of machines.

A vital piece of equipment, particularly for overseas missions Like Chad. It'd not like you can give the AA a call.
    Many of the current recovery vehicles are quite old. I'm pretty sure S Brigade has a 93 truck with a Holmes Wrecker. The Wrecker itself was taken off a Bedford which had been bought sometime in the 70s. Many of the Tow vehicles are quite limited by their axle weights too. I'm sure the transport people here will know more.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Just because there is a recession doesn't mean that the DF will stop purchasing, they will just prioritise & possibly order in reduced quantities etc.

This contract is for two 8x8 Euro 4 recovery vehicles with trailers. They will probably be DROPS type vehicles with the option for armour on cab. They are for recovering 4x4 TCVs, DROPS, MOWAGs, LTAVs & 6x6 TCVs.

Current I think there is only 1 Astra DROPS recovery vehicle in service with the DF, the is a few wreckers that could recover the 4x4 TCVs plus "the Beast" (MAN 6x6, not sure if it is still in service) but it can't recover DROPs or MOWAGs as far as I know.

Comment

Well Dev you are just about correct with your with your assessment of wreckers but these are for off road recovery. The are rarely actually used for the purpose that they were designed for.

Normal recovery is done using the bevertail or the lowloader depending on the size of the vehicle being recovered.

There is nothing wrong with mounting the recovery equipment onto a new vehicle. Unless there is a requirement to send these vehicles overseas, which I can't see being the case, they will be white elephants.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

You are correct of course luchi, presuming the bevertail/lowloader can recover the larger vehicles (MOWAGs & DROPS).

Overseas - hence the armour option

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            This contract is for two 8x8 Euro 4 recovery vehicles with trailers...
            Could not see this particular item of information in the notification.... ?
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
              Well Dev you are just about correct with your with your assessment of wreckers but these are for off road recovery. The are rarely actually used for the purpose that they were designed for.

Normal recovery is done using the bevertail or the lowloader depending on the size of the vehicle being recovered.

There is nothing wrong with mounting the recovery equipment onto a new vehicle. Unless there is a requirement to send these vehicles overseas, which I can't see being the case, they will be white elephants.

With hundreds of vehicles overseas, they'll hardly be white elephants.

here is something the british have ordered from MAN
              Attached Files
              Last edited by paul g; 2 May 2009, 18:00.

Comment

Cheers Paul, that answers the query I had above regarding the nature of the tender
                Last edited by Truck Driver; 2 May 2009, 18:08.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Euro 4 compliance is desirable not essential.

Comment

A Holmes Wrecker? Jesus, they were ancient when I was in!
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

is that 2.5 - 3 million or am i seeing things?
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole View Post
                        Euro 4 compliance is desirable not essential.
                        That is a std for vehicles intended for use in europe. If the vehicles are for use in Chad or other conflict country why bother spend money on emission suppression?

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        A Holmes Wrecker? Jesus, they were ancient when I was in!
                        regards
                        GttC
                        Yes it is an old unit but still functional.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        You are correct of course luchi, presuming the bevertail/lowloader can recover the larger vehicles (MOWAGs & DROPS).
                        Beavertail recovers vehicles up to the size of a minibus and the lowloader gets everything else.

Overseas - hence the armour option
                        Not necessarily really, how many vehicles were bought with the ability to armour but never bought the plates to armour?

Are any of the DROPS in use in Chad plated?
                        Originally posted by paul g View Post
                        With hundreds of vehicles overseas, they'll hardly be white elephants.
                        Where is the Astra wrecker now?
                        Although these vehicles may have the capability for use over seas doesn't mean they will ever go.

Actually, considering the length of time these tenders take this could easily be canned.
                        Last edited by luchi; 3 May 2009, 00:07.
                        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

Originally posted by luchi View Post
                          Not necessarily really, how many vehicles were bought with the ability to armour but never bought the plates to armour?
                          Its the 1st time i've seen it in a tender

Actually, considering the length of time these tenders take this could easily be canned.
                          It has only gone out so unless there are more cuts before the next budget they will be ok

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                            is that 2.5 - 3 million or am i seeing things?
                            Pricey all right, but thats one hell of a vehicle they are describing. I just hope it doesn't turnout to be the turkey that the ASTRA/IVECO recovery truck was/is.

Don't forget that the contract also includes training, manuals and an initial supply of parts for the first 5 years ( I know it's not exactly clear, but this is a standard clause in DF vehicle procurement ), along with 2 diagnostic systems.

The Truck itself will probably be a small part of the total for each vehicle, by my count there are 3 winches, one crane and a recovery boom, along with a fit out of recovery tools, to include separate fitting for each type of vehicle in our fleet. Thats a lot of very expensive hydraulics & tools to put on one vehicle! That's before you even factor in the cost of the trailers.

All in all if they get them for €2.5m they'll be doing well, but someone will probably want this contract to just keep them going while times are hard
                            Last edited by REX; 3 May 2009, 00:56.
                            CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

thanks Rex!
                              But there's no danger
                              It's a professional career
                              Though it could be arranged
                              With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                              If you're out of luck you're out of work
                              We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment