Camden/Meagher Fort Crosshaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camden/Meagher Fort Crosshaven

Lads, does anyone know much about the history of this fort. It is the maddest place in the world for a bit of exploration/adventure. When I was 12-16, this was where I spent my childhood exploring the pier, the gym, and even once we got into the locked area that someone had left open. Went deep inside and found old water tanks loads of names scrathed on the walls going back to the sixties. And all the while trying to avoid the caretaker. Standing on the edge of that moat would still give ANYONE the sh*ts.
    I know it was used by the British during WW1 and the Irish during WW2. The rails are still along the pier(for cannons or torpedoes or something) and I read somewhere on the net that it is being opened as a museum. The sooner the better!

Actually, gotta tell you all, when I was 11 or 12 that's what I wanted to be when I grew up- The Camden Fort caretaker

Comment

The OPW took this over in the early 90s,and little has been done there since,apart from Barbed wire and locks..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

fort camden

hi all
        i applied for a job at fort camden today as foreman. the plan is to refurbish the fort to its former glory and turn it into a museum. its been funded by cork county council and crosshaven tourism.
        i would appreciate any help on the history of the fort and its uses for my interview god knows every bit helps these days.
        i know some history but not a whole lot sadly i didnt have the pleasure of visiting the fort when it was in use.
        many thanks in advance

Comment

As far as I know between 1690 and 1750, the Emperor Napoleon made extensive use of the fort in his war against Rhodesia.

In fact until just a few years ago when the PC nazis spoilled the fun, there used be a ceremony in the fort to mark the anniversary of the date when le petit Corporal drank the blood of every man woman and child in that country to celebrate his victory in what is now known as the Peloponnesian War.
          Last edited by CS Gass; 10 May 2010, 21:19.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
            As far as I know between 1690 and 1750, the Emperor Napoleon made extensive use of the fort in his war against Rhodesia.

In fact until just a few years ago when the PC nazis spoilled the fun, there used be a ceremony in the fort to mark the anniversary of the date when le petit Corporal drank the blood of every man woman and child in that country to celebrate his victory in what is now known as the Peloponnesian War.
            What a load of bollox.
            Lets keep that twaddle away from here please.

Best of luck with the job Marloy. That project is well overdue. I believe the DoD handed it over to the OPW in 1989. The OPW succeeded in erecting a triple point fence.
            That is all they achieved.
            There is so much history in there, the mechanism for the first working torpedo is still there, as are some examples of the type. This history needs to me maintained, and opened to all. With Dunree In the North, and a similar facility in Cork, the history of the Treaty ports can be retained for all.

Comment

There is a website under construction by the team pushing fot the renovation of the fort.

THe local Coast Guard unit is also closely linked with the project.
              "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post

I think it's time you went back on the drink.
                The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
                (George Bernard Shaw, Playwright, 1856 - 1950)

Comment

Originally posted by marloy View Post
                  hi all
                  i applied for a job at fort camden today as foreman. the plan is to refurbish the fort to its former glory and turn it into a museum. its been funded by cork county council and crosshaven tourism.
                  i would appreciate any help on the history of the fort and its uses for my interview god knows every bit helps these days.
                  i know some history but not a whole lot sadly i didnt have the pleasure of visiting the fort when it was in use.
                  many thanks in advance
                  Best of luck with it. Spent two weeks there in 1979.
                  The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.

Comment

The Brennan Torpedo.
                    Fort Camden( Dùn Ui Meagher) is one of the few places where examples of the Torpedo, and its operating mechanism, still exist. I was there 2 Cork years ago and found a poorly maintained example sitting on the edge of the square.

Last edited by Goldie fish; 21 June 2010, 15:20.

Comment

I remember seeing the rail for the torpedo. It will all be lost if action isn't taken soon.

Comment

I finally got around to reading Donal McCarrons book on the treaty ports this weekend.

Errors!

Glaring, brutal errors.

Photos miscaptioned badly!
                        Photo of the Main Gate at the naval Base in Haulbowline, according to Donal its in Spike island. Another photo of the free state troops Marching into Charlesfort, Kinsale. Spike island according to Donal. I am open to correction if someone can show me what part of the square on Spike slopes down to the sea....

And this is before I get beyond chapter 2.
                        I shall perservere though. I have ignored the botched description of the operating mechanism of the brennan torpedo.
                        It has given me inspiration though that when I do write my book, I need not go to the trouble of proofreading or verifying information.
                        Any old twoddle will do.

Comment

I did warn you about 6 months ago...but would you listen....no.

Marloy the forts them selves have little written history other than the book Goldie mentions...which on relections is probably my copy which you are welcome to Read. Drop Goldie a PM and he can get it to you.

Best of luck on the job.

You Dad is in the Naval association , A lot of his colleagues ex ASM might have some tidbits.

Try Zulu and Test Pilot, they sem to be versed in the forts other than the basics.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I can clearly remember not listening to your warnings...(Do I have it that long? I thought it was much longer...)

Comment

The rescue Camden website is up and running. Loads of old photos from way back. Best of luck to the project.

"The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Working...
                              X