No announcement yet.

Captain guility in warship mishap (UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain guility in warship mishap (UK)

Captain guility in warship mishap
    (pa)
    The Irish Times
    12-August-2003
    The captain of the destroyer HMS Nottingham and three of his former officers were yesterday disciplined at a court martial after they pleaded guilty to their parts in causing teh warship to run aground on rocks off Australia last year.

Commander Richard Farringtion (43), the captain of the Type 42 destroyer, pleaded guilty to failing to delegate the responsible of command of the ship properly. He was sentenced to a reprimand - one of the lower navy court martial sentences - due to his charge not carrying any responsibility for the actual grounding.

His second in command, executive officer Lieut Commander John Lea (38) and the officer of the watch, Lieut James Denney (28), were both dismissed from their current ships after pleading guilty to negligence.

Lieut Andrew Ingham (27) the ships navigator, was sentenced to a sever reprimand after also pleading guilty to negligence.

The charges all related to allowing HMS Nottingham to be stranded off Lord Howe Island, Queensland, on July 7th 2002. The grounding ripped a 100ft hole in the ship which caused a repair bill of £39 million, and forced the British navy to bring the warship back to the UK on a transporter.

The president of the court martial, Commodore Philip Wilcocks, would all four defendants: “This incident has undermined the high reputation of the Royal Navy and caused significant embarrassment, wasted resources, and took an operational warship out of active duty for a long period.

"The most important message from this court martial is that the highest navigational standards must be maintained at all times to ensure safety at sea. Your punishment reflects the gravity of these offences".

At the time of the grounding HMS Nottingham was on a "flag waving" diplomatic mission, and was heading towards New Zealand.

The ship has left Cairns in northern Queensland on July 4th and was scheduled to arrive in New Zealand on July 11th. It is expected to be ready for sea trails in the spring, before it can re-enter service.

and I thought our compo culture was bad.....

£390,000.00 per foot
    32,500.00 per inch

£1300.00 per mm approx.

or maybe my maths are wrong.

regards etc

Comment

I've worked with the navigator on a different ship and am glad he escaped with his career as lets face it, its human error at the end of the day, expensive mistake though!

Comment

I wonder will they dock it from the skippers wages on a weekly basis.....
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

The bill while massive,is not bad considering that they had to piggy back a damaged destroyer from Australia to England,first removing all ordnance from her stores.
          The damage to the ship was quite serious,and I imagine the main reason the officers kept their career is due to the fantastic damage control work done by the crew,no doubt under his supervision. The damage beneath the waterline extended to well over a quarter of the ships length,damaging wiring and plumbing,including that which would be vital for damage control. The repairs were so successful that it was possible to tow the stricken vessel to the nearest shore base in Australia.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

The cheapest part of the refit was the actual transporting of the vessel back to the UK...this only cost £2.6 million in 1983 she cost £2oo million to build.......her refit 18 months previous to the accidend had cost a further £ 42 million.....and the current repair cost £42 million.......imagine what the Irish Navy could have for all that dosh. Brits probably got it on the 'never never'
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Sorry that last bit should read £11million........all these millions had me confused!

Comment

is that about the ship that hit the biggest rock in the sea?

Comment

Here is what it looked like inside....

Attached Files

Comment

glub,glub..

more photos of HMS Nottingham
                    Attached Files

Comment

eejit!

Comment

Sorry for resurecting such an old thread.

I came across the report of the Board of Enquiry into the grounding of HMS Nottingham and though that some people would be interested in a read.

Comment

Strange that, I was only reading about her transfer home on saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Strange that, I was only reading about her transfer home on saturday.
                            There you go Goldie, many here say you would have had an excellent career in the RN and I concur.

It is good to see that the Captain in the document, Commander XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (affectionately known as "Moby" Dick Farrington) did not suffer any long-lasting career damage- OBE last year with afternoon tea at the Palace

Queen's Honours List 2010.
                            APPOINTMENTS TO THE MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MOST EXCELLENT ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE

As Commanders

Commodore Campbell Stuart CHRISTIE

Captain Michael Edward FARRAGE

Captain Richard FARRINGTON OBE

Rear Admiral Ian MONCRIEFF

But I cannot see why this subject should be brought up now- I was just getting ready to venture out on the Thames this weekend and I am now getting flashbacks! You should be ashamed of yourself, Sluggie.

As an antidote to Sluggie I would like to ask all IMO-ers to stand for the National Anthem

Deutsch/ German:(English and Français at the end of the text)Heil dir im SiegerkranzGeschichte der deutschen NationalhymnenAls deutsche Nationalhymne vor dem...

Could somebody please explain why the Royal Family are wearing kilts -I cannot understand it.
                            Last edited by timhorgan; 31 March 2011, 11:01.

Comment

Working...
                            X