PDA

View Full Version : Permission to come on Board

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 13:37
Cant find the intro section , so will introduce my self here .
found your site last night , and stayed up till the small hours reliving old memories
Joined Nov 1980 class sierra joined Emer in 81 for about two and a half years .
Laners was the L/cook Moggy was the Ball Hopping Mary , Paddy was the Mad skipper egged on to further lunacy by Luigie the EX/O .

I was there when Paddy ran poor Emer up on the wall in Dublin , this was a real hole a bit bigger then a 10 cent coin , and the no names mentioned very tall mech from Dublin who exclaimed "what will we do when the tide comes in" tis all true.
The Arran Islands caper was just unbelievable , There's a film in that "The night we hit the sand bank" starring Paddy and Luigi .

About half way through my time on the Emer at the ripe old age of 19 , I was sitting in the mess one day when 2 kids walked in and sat down , I turned to the bod beside me and asked if we were taking Sea Scouts on patrol , no came the reply these are the two new seamen , Boomie , and Damien later to become Damo the Diver jes Damo ye looked about 14.

There's a few more heads in there I think I recognize
Cha the Tel was your brother a tel also ? were you on Emer with Billy Biscuits ?
Sorry to hear about the hair Moggy , still got mine .
Are you still diving Damo I took up diving after the navy and am still active.

I have a box of navy photos in the attic so I might start scanning tonight.

Boomer
24th August 2009, 13:47
Permission to come on board granted (as it always automaticaly is here), I am sure we would all love to see your photos

moggy
24th August 2009, 17:00
found your site last night , and stayed up till the small hours reliving old memories
Laners was the L/cook Moggy was the Ball Hoping Mary , Paddy was the Mad skipper egged on to further lunacy by Luigie the EX/O .

I was there when Paddy ran poor Emer up on the wall in Dublin , this was a real hole a bit bigger then a 10 cent coin , and the no names mentioned very tall mech from Dublin who exclaimed "what will we do when the tide comes in" tis all true.
The Arran Islands caper was just unbelievable , There's a film in that "The night we hit the sand bank" starring Paddy and Luigi .

About half way through my time on the Emer at the ripe old age of 19 , I was sitting in the mess one day when 2 kids walked in and sat down , I turned to the bod beside me and asked if we were taking Sea Scouts on patrol , no came the reply these are the two new seamen , Boomie , and Damien later to become Damo the Diver jes Damo ye looked about 14.

Cha the Tel was your brother a tel also ? were you on Emer with Billy Biscuits ?

all the above is true - cha will reply back to you - boomie no sighting since he left the navy
go ahead and scan leave my hair out if it ha

Laners
24th August 2009, 18:25
Laners was the L/cook Moggy was the Ball Hoping Mary , Paddy was the Mad skipper egged on to further lunacy by Luigie the EX/O .

A certain P O ERA was also head singing there's a hole in the bucket < a tall one from Dublin with blonde hair >

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 18:25
I came home from work early to look for above mentioned pics, I am sure this will take a few hours in the attic , picked up a few poor quality from a small album so here's a start
I had contact with Boomie up to about 1990 he married a Swiss Girl and went to live in Germany. have not been to Cobh in years but still have contact with a few lads .

Marys Digs >>>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/C_tel.jpg)
Short Arse Shorts >>>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/palermo-82.jpg)
Martin & Bob >>>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/palermo_1982.jpg)
Billy Biscuits >>>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/billy.jpg)
End of the day >>>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/my_self.jpg)

Test Pilot
24th August 2009, 19:03
Hi Wreckmaster, welcome on board.

Was unable to see the photo's which you put up, can you repost?

For the MOD. Has he been cleared to post pic's yet?

Thanks.

Barry
24th August 2009, 19:08
It's an issue with the site being linked to not allowing hotlinking - I've changed it to links to the images, which should work.

Edit: Except it doesn't work. Best way to see the images is to copy the address (right click on the link, and click "copy link location"), then open a new window and paste the address in.

Boomer
24th August 2009, 19:11
It's an issue with the site being linked to not allowing hotlinking - I've changed it to links to the images, which should work.

Edit: Except it doesn't work. Best way to see the images is to copy the address (right click on the link, and click "copy link location"), then open a new window and paste the address in.

he also needs to update the permissions to allow the images to be viewed.

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 19:24
Sorry about that lads I will have a look now

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 19:31
Sorry lads its a h.access problem I a truck load of security built in to the server . I have lowered it bit for this site should be OK now

Test Pilot
24th August 2009, 19:53
Sorry lads its a h.access problem I resell server space and have a truck load of security built in to the server . I have lowered it bit for this site should be OK now

Is that Daithai M in the tight arse shorts?:biggrin:

Doc
24th August 2009, 20:26

Think so...God we were fashion warriors in them days... kinda scary isn't it!

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 20:28
Top Marks and the other two ? shared cabin 303.

Doc
24th August 2009, 20:38
By the way, welcome aboard Wreckmaster. I was in from 83 to 87, Dierdre for two brief spells but mostly Aisling. I'm sure our paths crossed at some stage. Some great stories shared around here and a lot of good guys too. Keep the photos coming !

damo de muff diver
24th August 2009, 21:19
Welcome aboard Wreckmaster

Remember the day meself & Boomie went onto the Emer , we were both only 17
Keep the photos coming.......they help fill in the gaps

moggy
24th August 2009, 21:49

poor daithai that picture will ruin him for life - he went to thc army after that is the guy in the middle a stewart from dublin cant think of his last name 1st name john////

blaisec
24th August 2009, 22:21
Welcome aboard Wreck Master

Looks a bit like Steve M from Cobh. THe two guys in the second pic are Martin (elvis impersonator) and Bob K

hptmurphy
24th August 2009, 22:38
Is that Daithai M in the tight arse shorts? Was a few pounds lighter in those days..athst him alright.

Welcome aboard Wreckmaster. the final photo of the jack being lowered on Emer in Cork harbour at Dusk. There was a mural in the old galley up on the stage....looks like thats the inpsiration for the painting.

Last open day I met 'Billy Biscuits' still hael and hearty.

Great photos.

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 22:43
Sorry I have ripped the attic apart and cant find that box of pictures I moved house about 3 yrs ago , god knows where they went ,

blaisec
24th August 2009, 22:46
:biggrin:Funny story about Billy Biscuits and Rifles Counihan on a Lourdes trip. They were billeted in an army barracks somewhere in france, and the they decided to go into the nearest village. Only they decided to go cross country. I do not remember which one did it but they came to a ditch and decided to vault over it. The first guy over landed in a river or stream but said nothing, when asked if he was alright he replied yes and said nothing about the water and invited the rest of the group to follow him over.:biggrin::biggrin:

hptmurphy
24th August 2009, 22:59
last two picyres wont load, coming up as a '404'

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 23:12
That was A/B Daithai in the tight arse shorts , Stevie M from Cobh .
The Sunset picture was taken by a photographer from "The Paper and printed in same " Its My self I have the original to prove it and the wife says the noise is unmistakable.
and yes thats Elvis and Bob K .

RoyalGreenJacket
24th August 2009, 23:44
Goldie will be happy to see you wreckmaster. He is an old Sea Dog too.

(i think)

wreckmaster
24th August 2009, 23:48
Funny story about Billy Biscuits and Rifles
Rifles was wired to the moon and never took a drink, I dont think I'd risk going to Lourdes with either of them . I meet his brother regularly and pass on a few greetings . he is alive and well living up the country .

cha the tel
25th August 2009, 01:34
Welcome aboard Wreckmaster.I was on Emer with Biscuits and Cathal O'R,brother was on Deirdre.Keep the photos coming, bringing back many good memories.:smile:

cha the tel
25th August 2009, 05:39
Funny story about Billy Biscuits and Rifles Counihan on a Lourdes trip.
I would bet it was Biscuits would done the jump,I will check it out with him or Rifles the next time I am talking to them.When I see you mention Luigi name,I remember one day in the basin a certain seaman from Drogeha big Stevie B.,received a phone call while on QM from a Officer in the base.
Caller; Could I speak to LT. M........ your XO
QM; No officer of that name on this ship
Caller; Yes there is
QM;No there isn't,I should know I have been on this ship for the last 12 months
Caller;Well who is your XO?
QM; Its Lt.Luigi
Caller ;Get your XO to the phone now.
Priceless

Goldie fish
25th August 2009, 06:10
Goldie will be happy to see you wreckmaster. He is an old Sea Dog too.

(i think)

WRONG.

Neither Old, nor sea dog.(well compared to the likes of Laners and HPT anyway).
It's a common myth.

wreckmaster
25th August 2009, 11:46
from Drogeha big Stevie BThat was brilliant , I had forgotten about Stevie .
I have another one , Heading for Dublin one week end we anchored off some where to get the decks painted just the one side as usual waited a few hours for same to dry preceded to Dublin. In Dublin A certain seaman was sent to the Foc'sle to paint some of the deck machinery, having spilt paint everywhere decided on a clean up . A 50/50 mix of water and white spirits in a bucket scrubbed it in to the lovely new green deck when all the white sprit was gone he then turned the hose on it , can you imagine the state of the ship the green ran from the foc'sle to about midships and over the sides , jes were we scrubbing green for a week. I have contact with Luigi , Tony M , he is still living in Cork but comes home often .

Laners
25th August 2009, 17:34
WRONG.

Neither Old, nor sea dog.(well compared to the likes of Laners and HPT anyway).
It's a common myth.

Just because I did T O E Ts on the .303 I am now labeled as being old . Although I was a Sluggie at the time .

Goldie fish
25th August 2009, 17:57
I think the difference is that while I did it on the No 4 Mk 2, yours was on the No IV, mk II..

Laners
25th August 2009, 19:44
Ah the muzzel loader version

hptmurphy
25th August 2009, 21:10
I think the difference is that while I did it on the No 4 Mk 2, yours was on the No IV, mk II..

Jealousy will get you no where!

Age is but a number,You too will be old like us one day..but what fun it was getting here.

blaisec
25th August 2009, 21:15
:rolleyes:I had to do duties with one of them thar muskets in the Brugha in '78 as a sandbag, much to the derision of the 2nd battallion grunts there at the time. They had them new fangled F.N things:rolleyes:

Test Pilot
25th August 2009, 22:28
As we are talking 'muskets', don't forget the Gustav .

From the range on Spike Island. Now long gone.

Can you name the guys?

I recall it was not uncommon to get a hot ejected shell down one's neck!

blaisec
25th August 2009, 22:38
Red Haired guy is from Sligo first name joe was a L/Mech, Ricky S, other two not a clue, far left might be an EA Martin P

Laners
25th August 2009, 23:46
Red Haired guy is from Sligo first name joe was a L/Mech, Ricky S, other two not a clue, far left might be an EA Martin P

Joe Banks , now an Operating Engineer in Chicago and in charge of a very large sky scraper, Derek Graham < L/ cook > also in the same line of work

vladimirputin
26th August 2009, 00:14
PJ Phelan with the specs I think.

hptmurphy
26th August 2009, 00:20
PJ Phelan with the specs I think

i was thinking along the lines of Willie Bryant but could be mistake.

Doc
26th August 2009, 00:33

Can you name the guys?

Oh Dear sweet Jesus in the heaven not the Gustav! I had my moment of infamy with one on the range on an NCOs course in Ballincollig. Didn’t tuck my collar in (See R Starmer in photo above!) and got a hot one down my neck from the guy next to me on the firing line. Bloody thing rolled inside my shirt and burned the back off me. The pain made me jump, and at the same time let off an almighty spray from the Gustav, with my eyes closed as it happens! Holy God those rounds can fly. It was all over in seconds but by the time I figured out what was going on, I had wiped out a large a rock in front of me and the shrapnel went every where, the firing line had disintegrated.

They cleared hedges, jumped under trucks and just plan fled to avoid the carnage. Shane the Brain clicked my heels together and tore lumps out of me, which wasn’t unusual. The thing was I couldn’t stand still ‘cos the round was still burning my back. The more I wriggled the more he shouted at me and the more it burned the more I wriggled. I thought his head would explode. There was song in the charts at the time “You don’t have to take your clothes off to have a good time”. By the time we got back to the billet my colleagues were signing “You don’t have to shoot your toes off to have a good time!”

wreckmaster
26th August 2009, 01:05
Jasus Lads ye have Hi jacked my Post , the gustav one was funny its a wonder half us were not killed with all the messin that went on .

Here is a few more odds unfortunately poor quality again.

This was a Deck party Some Where

The Guy in the Blue Hat ?
I don't know what others think of him but I always had great time for him.
He will go down in the Annals of the INS ( bad Choice of words there )

The Man In a Cap >>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/man_in_cap.jpg)
Deck Party >>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/deck_party.jpg)
Emer 1982 >>> (http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/geryatric/after_deck.jpg)

cha the tel
26th August 2009, 06:30

Moggy lost his hair gracefully not like some who let little sea creatures eat away at them and then had to destroy everything in his bunk space in case any were crawling around(hope she was worth it).

Poor Bernard O'S was never the same after the climb up Sir John Rogersons quay or the Arran Island.I never seen lads to sober up as quick as I did that night .

golden rivet
26th August 2009, 11:43

Can you name the guys?

:biggrin:martin plunkett. joe banks pj phelan and the bould starmer.. plunkett being from cavan fired from the left so no one would get his empty cases:biggrin:

golden rivet
26th August 2009, 11:50
Jasus Lads ye have Hi jacked my Post , the gustav one was funny its a wonder half us were not killed with all the messin that went on .

The Man In a Cap >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/man_in_cap.jpg)
Deck Party >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/deck_party.jpg)
Emer 1982 >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/after_deck.jpg):smile: welcome to the crack wreckmaster did our paths ever cross...

Test Pilot
26th August 2009, 12:11

No, it not Willie.

wreckmaster
26th August 2009, 13:15
:smile: welcome to the crack wreckmaster did our paths ever cross...We possibly did although , I recently spent a few days with another ex Emer man Mick M from Dundrum he was on Hols in my neck of the woods ,
from our conversations I was surprised at how few people I knew outside the crew I worked with . could be just old age too .

blaisec
26th August 2009, 14:11

The Man In a Cap >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/man_in_cap.jpg)
Deck Party >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/deck_party.jpg)
Emer 1982 >>> (http://www.irishshipwrecks.com/ins/after_deck.jpg)

Is that Fintan M?

Doc
27th August 2009, 00:53
We possibly did although , I recently spent a few days with another ex Emer man Mick M from Dundrum he was on Hols in my neck of the woods ,
from our conversations I was surprised at how few people I knew outside the crew I worked with . could be just old age too .

Great to hear Mick M is doing well, bumped into him many years ago when he was working for FAS, what’s he doing these days?

He was in training division when I was on Spike, one of the scariest people a red arse recruit could ever meet. Was at sea with him on Aisling, turned out he was great bloke after all and very very funny. I remember one night while Ned B was asleep the bould Mick filled his boots with tomato sauce. I think we were in Rathmullen at the time, the next morning they probably heard Ned Screaming on the base, and Mick Laughing too.

wreckmaster
27th August 2009, 18:40
His still good-humored and mischievous ,

scariest people a red arse recruit could ever meet.
No That was 5 foot nothing Paddy Carlon " ah You f--kin Do Do "
Does any one remember his demo on the use of gov issue jacks roll , remember smoth on one side rough on the other stuff ....

wreckmaster
27th August 2009, 19:05
Is that Fintan M?
No not Fintan ...... a bit higher up the food chain

blaisec
28th August 2009, 08:15
His still good-humored and mischievous ,

No That was 5 foot nothing Paddy Carlon " ah You f--kin Do Do "
Does any one remember his demo on the use of gov issue jacks roll , remember smoth on one side rough on the other stuff ....

Only use 3 sheets one up, one down and one to polish.....

hptmurphy
28th August 2009, 22:01
Only use 3 sheets one up, one down and one to polish.....

was well behind the times..I was given a non graphic demo on how the army did it with the same paper with only one sheet...if you figure it out your sicker than you thought!:biggrin:

Doc
28th August 2009, 23:07
I remember an S/A, small in stature, thickest Cork accent you ever heard, named after a furry animal with big teeth that cut's down trees. Once described DOD jacks roll as Rambo roll said it was "Rough tough and took no s*~te! He had a point!

BravoWhiskey
31st August 2009, 21:13

I think it's Brendan B. (Mech, brother of red Frank)...

BravoWhiskey
1st September 2009, 20:26
No not Fintan ...... a bit higher up the food chain

Is it Martin D, from Co. Clare?

wreckmaster
3rd September 2009, 09:01
Is it Martin D, from Co. Clare?
The misfortunate Lt Cdr Paddy Kavanagh

:smile: