PDA

View Full Version : Irish AFV at Bovington Tank Museum

Tempest
26th October 2009, 22:05
http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4803&stc=1&d=1256590790

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4804&stc=1&d=1256590854

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4805&stc=1&d=1256590854

Flamingo
26th October 2009, 22:40
What is it? (I know it's not an ambulance, after that my expertise ends :-) )

REX
26th October 2009, 23:25

Looks like a Leyland, or Landsverg, armoured car (never could tell the difference), but if you are ever at a Cavalry Open day they will both be on display.

Flamingo
26th October 2009, 23:47
Thanks. Will try, but unlikely I'd either get a trip home at the right time, or be able to get an invite!

turbocalves
26th October 2009, 23:49
its a leyland Armoured Car

hptmurphy
27th October 2009, 01:58
Its Leyland Armoured Car., Should be a Ford in or around their some where..Oh I forgot, we took it back to put on display in Collins BKs

We also have one in the curragh, difference is our one runs.

cav day is over , Last Weekend in August

mugs
27th October 2009, 19:32
http://www.curragh.info/images/gallery/glen.jpg

hptmurphy
27th October 2009, 20:10
Not bad for a home build.These were a Leyland TerrierTruck chassis with an Armoured car type body and turret grafted on. Served up to the early 1980s , the last three with with 5th Motor ( Cavalry) Squadron in Castlebar.The fourth had been scapped in the 1960s.

Three of the four originals still exist, One in the Curragh, One in the howth Museum and the one in Bovintongton.
Believe it or not the First one was actually built in 1934 and all four were eventually fitted with Landsverk turrets which explains the difficulty in seperating the two types although the difference is very obvious when the two types are put side by side.

Eventhough declared obselete in 1942 because of lack of all wheel drive they still went on to have engine replacements in 1957/58 replacing the original Leyland engine with a Ford V8. Top speed with the ford engine was 45mph.

Note the rear hull and front end changed significantly after the refit of the ford V8 engine

Armament varied over the years comprisng of 20mm guns and either .303 machine guns or .30 Browning machine guns ( ex Aer Corps)

Connaught Stranger
27th October 2009, 20:12

The sign in front of it says:

L E Y L A N D A R M O U R E D C A R.

Nice pictures, tanks for posting :tongue:

Tempest
27th October 2009, 20:38
Hi guys,

Sorry, this is my first time posting here, I was trying to post the actual pics, not links...can anyone tell me how to, cos I have some other stuff from Bovington which might be of interest? Am uploading into Manage Attachments, but getting no further then that. I'm not very tecchie!

hptmurphy
27th October 2009, 21:04
Sorry Mugs..the photo is that of a Landsverk and not a Leyland..just noticed the registration.....

Sorry..

Flamingo
27th October 2009, 21:19
The sign in front of it says:

Nice pictures, tanks for posting :tongue:

I did notice that when I went back... :redface:

Border Bunny
27th October 2009, 23:41
The 4 Leyland Armoured Cars were made by transferring the hulls from the old Peerless Armoured Cars onto the Leyland Terrier chassis.

The Peerless twin turrets were replaced with the same turret as on the Landsverk L60 Tank.

The old Peerless turrets were later fitted to the Ford Mk V Armoured Cars.

The Leylands were used by the 1st Armoured Car Squadron.

ias
27th October 2009, 23:47
If you look at the back of the Landsverk above and compare it to the 1st photo of the Leyland you'll notice that they're very different. The front of the Leyland was remodelled in '57 to look similar to the Landverk and probably ease heating problems that the original design appeared to suffer from (in some photos).

IAS

hptmurphy
28th October 2009, 00:13
The Leylands were used by the 1st Armoured Car Squadron

read again my friend the leylands ended their service with 5th Motor in castler bar due to the fact the spares required to keep them running were comercialy available and they would not have been required to Return to the curragh For maintaince.

The did spend the war years with 1st Armoured car but transferred out soon afterward

In 1957/58 both types were refitted with Ford V8 engines so this would probably account for the increase in similarity after the conversions as with the rear decking of the AML 20 and AML 90

Would agree, as the front rdaiator grill and the side grills were increased substantially to reflect the Landsverk type.

Border Bunny
28th October 2009, 21:16
The easiest way to tell the two Armoured Cars apart is the Landsverk is Left hand drive and the Leyland is Right hand drive.

sofa
28th October 2009, 22:50
The easiest way to tell the two Armoured Cars apart is the Landsverk is Left hand drive and the Leyland is Right hand drive.

Was in one of them years ago and if I recall it had a second steering at the rear.?

Vickers
28th October 2009, 23:34
Yes, but I was told that while in FCA service it was disconnected.

Tony Kearns
28th October 2009, 23:37
On a slightly different curve, anybody know which vehicles had the 20mm cannon fitted courtesy of the Air Corps (ex Seafires).
Tony K:confused:

Border Bunny
28th October 2009, 23:40
Was in one of them years ago and if I recall it had a second steering at the rear.?

Yes the Landsverk had a rear driver who was allso the radio operater.
The Leyland had no rear driver.

Border Bunny
28th October 2009, 23:56
On a slightly different curve, anybody know which vehicles had the 20mm cannon fitted courtesy of the Air Corps (ex Seafires).
Tony K:confused:

Im not sure about the Seafire cannons but some of the Landsverks had ex Vampire 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannons fitted replacing the Madsens.

Its fitted in the picture of the Landsverk that htpmurphy posted above.

GoneToTheCanner
29th October 2009, 00:39
Yer man must have been straddling it.They were long guns.He must have breathed in when they fired.;)
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
29th October 2009, 02:54
The landsverk had the rear drivers positioned fitted and it was well removed from service by the time the FCA got their hands on them.

The Landsverks were fitted with the HS from the T55 vampire but proved trouble some as the rate of fire was far too high for a vehicle mounted weapon and the only way to reduce the rate of fire was to interefere with the recoil as the HS like the oerlikons rate of fire was dictated and governed by recoil.

The weapon became prone to jamming every couple of rounds and was not success full.It remains unclear why the Madsen was retained in the Leyland while replaced in the Lansverk eventhough it was obselete....which I suppose sums the whole thing up as both the cars and their weaposn were obselete by the time the conversion took place.

Papa 242
29th October 2009, 03:01
I think an Argentinian AML 90 captured in the Falklands is also on display at Bovington and the display board in front of it shows an Irish AML 90 in an urban setting! Must see if I can find the photos!

GoneToTheCanner
29th October 2009, 11:12
Sorry to be pedantic, but the 20mms were British-built Hispano, not Hispano-Suiza, which were aero engines or cars. Like the Oerlikon, they were built in American or British models and were not entirely interchangeable. The Spitfire / Seafire guns were also slightly different from the version in the Vampire.
regards
GttC

hptmurphy
29th October 2009, 16:58
Like the Oerlikon, they were built in American or British models and were not entirely interchangeable. The Spitfire / Seafire guns were also slightly different from the version in the Vampire.

hee hee don't get me started on the differences in Oerlikons..my favourite subject.

thanks for the clarification. Did some reading on the Hispano Guns which as it turns out were a simplified version of the Oerlikon which would be hard given it had 181 individual parts...used to know them all..as some others here would....

Tempest
29th October 2009, 20:11
Papa 242 is spot on, see attached pics.

I'm still waiting for some helpful advice on posting pics here (rather then links), as there are lots of other interesting things at Bovington that people here might be interested to see!

Papa 242
30th October 2009, 14:33
Thanks for posting those photos Tempest! saves me digging out the hard drive!!
Must get out to Howth and get some photos of the Leyland there!
John

GoneToTheCanner
30th October 2009, 21:12
Hi there,
The Hispanos were also said to be better for fighters as they had a belt-feed mechanism that was less prone to feed failures under G loading. They were also more readily adaptable to belt-feeding from large ammunition containers than the Oerlikon.They even ended up in turret mounts in some bombers.
regards
GttC

railwaylad
11th November 2009, 10:59
here is a photo of both armoured cars side by side taking in the curragh 1941 the layland is right hand drive as posted by ( border bunny)

railwaylad
12th November 2009, 11:29
here is the landsverk and layland side by side taking in the curragh 1941

Border Bunny
15th November 2009, 17:35
here is the landsverk and layland side by side taking in the curragh 1941

Great photo railwaylad thanks for that.

They belong to the 1st Armoured Car Squadron.
It had the 8 Landsverks and the 4 Leylands. It later got the 5 Irish built Dodges.

railwaylad
15th November 2009, 19:31
always give the landsverk a good look over when im in the transport museum in howth i even got a look at the layland armoured car one time.i have no photo of any of the dodge a/c if ever someone come's across one i'd love a copy.

vintary
2nd June 2010, 13:11
x irish landsverk......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXgZl9SljA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38wVKbafz7U&feature=related

Shaqra
1st July 2010, 16:10
Some prototype mods to Timoneys and M3s as demo'd at the 1st Browning instructors course back in the 80's