This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid joining the British

For the last few years my son was looking forward to joining the Irish Army but with the way things are now it looks like nobody will be joining for some years, now my son wants to join the British army when he is finished school in the summer he will be only 17 and I dont know to let him do it or not? Has anyone here or there son ever joined the British at a young age did it work out? or were you to young? signing up for 5 years is a very big move and if anyone has any info I would like to hear it
    cheers
    Gar

Originally posted by gar View Post
    For the last few years my son was looking forward to joining the Irish Army but with the way things are now it looks like nobody will be joining for some years, now my son wants to join the British army when he is finished school in the summer he will be only 17 and I dont know to let him do it or not? Has anyone here or there son ever joined the British at a young age did it work out? or were you to young? signing up for 5 years is a very big move and if anyone has any info I would like to hear it
    cheers
    Gar
    You appear to be new to the board - welcome - but please use the "Search" function.

"Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

cheers
      Gar

Did someone call

Rod and Serpent
      RGJ
      Knocker
      swift and sure
      turncoat
      Im sure I`ve forgotten someone :redface:

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
        Did someone call

Rod and Serpent
        RGJ
        Knocker
        swift and sure
        turncoat
        Im sure I`ve forgotten someone :redface:
        ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Vickers View Post
          You appear to be new to the board - welcome - but please use the "Search" function.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...earchid=693308
          cheers thanks for the help vickers

Comment

?????

He's referring to board members who are or were members of the BA. I have to say, I've thought of doing the same in the past. My father, a former PDF officer, actually said there was nothing wrong with doing it. I'm two years out of school myself, so I'm not much older than your son, so I won't offer any silly opinions devoid of the wisdom a lot of the other guys on this posess. I will say how ever, that he should reshearch the sh1te out of it before going any further. I mean, sticking myself in his shoes, I'd want to know exactly everything I was getting myself into before committing to any amount of time, nevermind 5 years, in a potentially dangerous and stressful career. But this is only the opinion of a youngin' who isn't wise to the world yet. Is he thinking of enlisting or going the AOSB route? Oh, and best of luck to him whatever he chooses.
            Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Gar

The recruiting for the british army thread was closed, feel free to p m me with any questions
              Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Gar,

I joined the BA at 17, it was the best decision I ever made in my opinion.

Make sure he considers his options wisely, and I'd strongly advise looking into a role with a trade; be it medical, telecom, engineering, mechanical etc; because if the army doesn't work out for him, he will have been set up for a job on the outside.

There are specific threads for this subject, but if you'd like any info on the Royal Corps of Signals, or just the BA in general, feel free to PM me.

Comment

thanks guys for all the help and info
                  cheers

Comment

Gar

If your son joins the british army he'll be sent to Afghanistan, and there is a pretty good chance he'll be killed or seriously wounded. Most peple are aware by now that the Afghan government is totally corrupt, and nobody admits the war is going well, if your son is going to die in his teens it should really be for a good reason dont you agree. Kids that age think they're invulnerable and what they see on TV screens is exciting, but its not.

If the lad is 16, and will be 17 in the Summer of 2010, he'll still be in his teens when the recruitment embargo ends, if indeed hasn't ended by then.
                    Last edited by paul g; 4 November 2009, 13:40.

Comment

I will not comment on the fitness of the afghan government, but I agree with Paul G about the recruiting embargo, The lad in question has pleanty of time to make a decision about where he wants to serve, he has his whole life ahead of him, apart from that, serving one's own country with it's proven record of resolveing conflicts must rate higher on anyones life ambition list.
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                        Gar

The recruiting for the british army thread was closed, feel free to p m me with any questions

Yes GAR
                        PM Knocker he`ll be pleased to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                          Gar

If your son joins the british army he'll be sent to Afghanistan, and there is a pretty good chance he'll be killed or seriously wounded. Most peple are aware by now that the Afghan government is totally corrupt, and nobody admits the war is going well, if your son is going to die in his teens it should really be for a good reason dont you agree. Kids that age think they're invulnerable and what they see on TV screens is exciting, but its not.

If the lad is 16, and will be 17 in the Summer of 2010, he'll still be in his teens when the recruitment embargo ends, if indeed hasn't ended by then.
                          Paul, not everyone in the BA serving in Afghanistan is going toe to toe with the Taliban. But if avoiding war is the arguement for not joining the BA, then I'd suggest not joining an army at all.
                          I'm not war-mongering with that comment, I'm just stating the fact that training for war is the job; if you're lucky, you'll never have to fire a shot in anger, but if you're personally not prepared to fire a shot in anger in the first place, then you're in the wrong job.

If he can ride out the recession and the embargo, however long that will be, and still wants to join the PDF, then fair play. If he wants to crack on with a military career now, then why not join the BA? Get a trade, get experience and see a bit of the world. If he becomes a chef, a mechanic, a signaller, etc then chances are he will hopefully will never be on the recieving end of direct incoming fire.

If it's infantry he wants to become, well then that's a different matter, and the chances of death and injury are increased; but it unfortunately comes with the job.

War is a grim, dirty, horrific business; the 5 fatalities today is a poignant reminder of this. But men and women still sign up to serve in their thousands, not just British people either, irrespective of their opinions on foreign policy or the strategy in Afghanistan.

Comment

If he wants to go for it let him off, but would recommend he seriously looks at a trade in one of the corps (REME, Signals, RLC, RE etc) , its a great place for broadening your mind and meeting people from different places, ecconomic backrounds and for character building.
                            Yes he may go to Afghan or other areas of conflict but to be honest thats part of what being a soldier is all about.
                            My lads arent that old yet but would not stop them going if they wanted to when finished school. I didnt stay full 22yrs in the British Army but still believe that my time in it has stood to me in life since.

Comment

This is an absolute bullsh!t statement to try and influence someone's decision. Are you indicuting that there is a enormously high casualty rate in Afghanistan - based on what - what is the actual percentage.

There are many reasons that people join the military - one of them is to see if they can handle the rigours of combat - it's not for you to try and influence someones' decision without backing up your statement with facts. You should be ashamed of yourself for writing that based on the initial enquiry.

Gar, my opinion is to talk (PM) to the members mentioned earlier as they can give you a seriously balanced view of things based on true experience.
                              There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X