Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NI TA Soldiers to Guard Pope In Cyprus

Clonaver Troops Guard Pope In Cyprus

Part-time signallers from east Belfast are expected to be a temporary 'Swiss Guard' later this year.

TA Soldiers from Northern Ireland's 40 (Ulster) Signals Regiment are to provide security for the Pope during an official visit to Cyprus later this year.

A unit made up of regular and reserve troops are due to deploy to the Mediterranean island as part of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force next month.

They will be based in the capital city of Nicosia and are expected to play a major role in the two-day tour of the island by Pope Benedict XVI.

It will mark the first time soldiers from Northern Ireland have guarded a Pope.

The soldiers, who are normally based at Clonaver Park off the Holywood Road, are being sent to Cyprus as part of Operation Tosca to patrol a buffer zone known as the 'Green Line' which runs through Nicosia following the Turkish invasion in 1974.

They are there to prevent a resurgence of fighting between Greeks and Turks.

Other sections of the Green Line are currently patrolled by Argentinian and Eastern European soldiers.

Colonel Stuart McConnell, the CO, said his soldiers were culturally and politically very highly trained and would be approaching the deployment with a very professional outlook

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_irelan....asp?id=107693
    "Dwight D. Eisenhower: The best morale exists when you never hear the word mentioned. When you hear it it's usually lousy.

Originally posted by Cosantor View Post
    Clonaver Troops Guard Pope In Cyprus

Part-time signallers from east Belfast are expected to be a temporary 'Swiss Guard' later this year.

TA Soldiers from Northern Ireland's 40 (Ulster) Signals Regiment are to provide security for the Pope during an official visit to Cyprus later this year.

A unit made up of regular and reserve troops are due to deploy to the Mediterranean island as part of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force next month.

They will be based in the capital city of Nicosia and are expected to play a major role in the two-day tour of the island by Pope Benedict XVI.

It will mark the first time soldiers from Northern Ireland have guarded a Pope.

The soldiers, who are normally based at Clonaver Park off the Holywood Road, are being sent to Cyprus as part of Operation Tosca to patrol a buffer zone known as the 'Green Line' which runs through Nicosia following the Turkish invasion in 1974.

They are there to prevent a resurgence of fighting between Greeks and Turks.

Other sections of the Green Line are currently patrolled by Argentinian and Eastern European soldiers.

Colonel Stuart McConnell, the CO, said his soldiers were culturally and politically very highly trained and would be approaching the deployment with a very professional outlook

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_irelan....asp?id=107693
    That could have been me. I was offered a CMT post with 40 Sigs but had to refuse it .

Points to note the regt is being downsized when they get back home. I think they are being reduced by upto aprox 60% or so. The reason being that they are no longer reqired for that role, the officers /OR will be redistributed to other units......it`s a bit shit really.

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
      That could have been me. I was offered a CMT post with 40 Sigs but had to refuse it .

Points to note the regt is being downsized when they get back home. I think they are being reduced by upto aprox 60% or so. The reason being that they are no longer reqired for that role, the officers /OR will be redistributed to other units......it`s a bit shit really.
      Is it not being reduced by more. I know that only a Squadron will be left. Becoming part of 32 (Scottish) Signals.
      Theirs not to make reply,
      Theirs not to reason why,
      Theirs but to do and die:
      Into the valley of Death
      Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Excerpt from 40 Signal Regt site on armynet.

2009 - Following the Minister for Armed Forces announcement of the restructuring of R SIGNALS TA units on 28 April 2009, 40 (Ulster) Signal Regiment (Volunteers) was one of the units identified under the restructuring recommendations for disbandment on 31 March 2010.

As part of the disbandment process 69(NIH) Signal Squadron (Volunteers)would transfer to 32 Signal Regiment (Volunteers)
        on 31st March 2010. It remains OPCOM to 40 Signal Regiment [Unknown] up to the point where the Regiment deploys on Op TOSCAin order to deliver training support functions. Both 66 Signal Squadron and 85 Signal Squadron disbanded with effect from 30 September 2009. The newly named 840 (Londonderry) Signal Troop will move from Limavady TAC to Caw camp in Londonderry by February 2010.
        The Heritage committee designated the names of the Sqn & Tps for 69 Sig Sqn (V) as follows: 69 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron (V)
        SHQ & Sp Tp
        840 (Londonderry) Signal Troop - North West Based
        866 (City of Belfast) Signal Troop - Belfast Based

985 (Ulster) Signal Troop - Belfast Based

Despite the Regiment drawing down and disbanding on 31st March 2010 it continues to prepare for its United Nations (UN) tour on Op TOSCA in Cyprusbetween March to October 2010, as 40 Signal Regiment Group. The Regiment will be joined by elements of 38 (Irish) Bde from 591 Independent Field Squadron Royal Engineers (Volunteers) and 152 (Ulster) Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps (Volunteers).

Comment

http://www.army.mod.uk/signals/organisation/8783.aspx

Comment

Excerpt from 40 Signal Regt site on armynet.

2009 - Following the Minister for Armed Forces announcement of the restructuring of R SIGNALS TA units on 28 April 2009, 40 (Ulster) Signal Regiment (Volunteers) was one of the units identified under the restructuring recommendations for disbandment on 31 March 2010.

As part of the disbandment process 69(NIH) Signal Squadron (Volunteers)would transfer to 32 Signal Regiment (Volunteers)
            on 31st March 2010. It remains OPCOM to 40 Signal Regiment [Unknown] up to the point where the Regiment deploys on Op TOSCAin order to deliver training support functions. Both 66 Signal Squadron and 85 Signal Squadron disbanded with effect from 30 September 2009. The newly named 840 (Londonderry) Signal Troop will move from Limavady TAC to Caw camp in Londonderry by February 2010.
            The Heritage committee designated the names of the Sqn & Tps for 69 Sig Sqn (V) as follows: 69 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron (V)
            SHQ & Sp Tp
            840 (Londonderry) Signal Troop - North West Based
            866 (City of Belfast) Signal Troop - Belfast Based

985 (Ulster) Signal Troop - Belfast Based

Despite the Regiment drawing down and disbanding on 31st March 2010 it continues to prepare for its United Nations (UN) tour on Op TOSCA in Cyprusbetween March to October 2010, as 40 Signal Regiment Group. The Regiment will be joined by elements of 38 (Irish) Bde from 591 Independent Field Squadron Royal Engineers (Volunteers) and 152 (Ulster) Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps (Volunteers).
            Feck.

Is Limavady TAC closing Rod?

Its only a few years old!!
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
              Feck.

Is Limavady TAC closing Rod?

Its only a few years old!!

I dont know mate, I never heard. I`m not sure who`s based there at the moment.

Comment

I dont know mate, I never heard. I`m not sure who`s based there at the moment.

Nobody apparently, unless another unit takes it over.

Comment

Working...
                X