US Marine After Action PPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Marine After Action PPT

Saw this in another place, I don't think it's been posted on here (search didn't turn it up, anyway!).

It's a PPT of a US Marine after-action analysis from Afghanistan

... well aimed and fired in bursts in order to conserve ammunition. ... will help conserve ammunition. ... conducted water and ammunition resupply from the ...
    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Excellent - thanks for that useful stuff
    There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

That PPT can't be right! You mean to say that the enemy don't sit waiting to be attacked in the open countryside in groups of 2 to 3 combatants, sometimes supported by an indepth postition with one lone gunman?
      Well if the Taliban aren't prepared to play fair, no wonder the DF will never go to Afghanistan!

Comment

Originally posted by ARNGScout View Post
        Excellent - thanks for that useful stuff
        I would have thought that out of everybody, you'd have seen it already!!!

Hope it's of help!

Staying away from the nasty men, I hope?
        Last edited by Flamingo; 1 April 2010, 23:40.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Good post Flamingo.

please don't let Tim Horgan see this as it will p|ss on his parade because he thinks it's only the British Army who suffer multiple IED's, ambushes and initial contacts by the enemy in Afghanistan.

i'm surprised that this excellent and informative presentation has been allowed onto the Internet however it's a good indicator to us all of the intensity and complexity of operations out there that NATO forces, particularly the American, British and Canadians are engaged in.
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 2 April 2010, 01:31.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Good drills Flamingo.

In Arduis Fidelis

Comment

And the yanks knew nothing of these types of tactics before Afghanistan?

Comment

Interesting to note the reduced ammo loads on the Marine Squads. 4 - 6 mags and 1-2 grenades, trading ammo for speed and accuracy.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
                  Interesting to note the reduced ammo loads on the Marine Squads. 4 - 6 mags and 1-2 grenades, trading ammo for speed and accuracy.
                  I was astonished to read that in an 8 hour firefight, in a target rich environment, each marine fired no more than 4 mags worth of ammo. That's impressive restraint.
                  Seeing as the enemy aren't overly suppressed by small arms fire, it must be a humbling realisation that there's little point laying down suppressive fire from personal weapons.

And to think that in the average RDF SIA/PIA I've seen so far, the troops have usually blasted 3-4 mags before they've gotten to the FAL. It's not surprising to hear them shout "BANG BANG" if there's an in depth position!
                  It's a shame that the RDF (can't speak for the whole DF) probably won't learn from these lessons, and will continue to apply undynamic tactics against a consistantly inferior perceived threat.
                  I still look forward to an exercise whereby the commanders are acting on their initiative and not going through the motions of rehearsed drills applied in a stage-managed environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                    I was astonished to read that in an 8 hour firefight, in a target rich environment, each marine fired no more than 4 mags worth of ammo. That's impressive restraint.
                    Seeing as the enemy aren't overly suppressed by small arms fire, it must be a humbling realisation that there's little point laying down suppressive fire from personal weapons.

And to think that in the average RDF SIA/PIA I've seen so far, the troops have usually blasted 3-4 mags before they've gotten to the FAL. It's not surprising to hear them shout "BANG BANG" if there's an in depth position!
                    It's a shame that the RDF (can't speak for the whole DF) probably won't learn from these lessons, and will continue to apply undynamic tactics against a consistantly inferior perceived threat.
                    I still look forward to an exercise whereby the commanders are acting on their initiative and not going through the motions of rehearsed drills applied in a stage-managed environment.
                    What? like a deliberate company (4 Plns inc support) night attack which advanced in column up a road in full view of an elevated enemy position combined with a NATO T formation in a field, again under full view of an enemy elevated position which had thermal/II optics and crew served support weapons?

Never!
                    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Nice find Flamingo

Sadly it just goes to show that the Taliban and mates are not simply locals who

took up arms agains tthe "invaders"

Where the after action reviews are invaluable

I think there should be a deeper analysis of where ordinary farmers and goat herders got the knowledge to implemenet there tactics such as how to set up secondary and tertiary IED's and multi point ambushes etc
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

What? like a deliberate company (4 Plns inc support) night attack which advanced in column up a road in full view of an elevated enemy position combined with a NATO T formation in a field, again under full view of an enemy elevated position which had thermal/II optics and crew served support weapons?

Never!
                        Out of curiousity, was that an integration exercise?

Comment

The anarchists cook book. Where do you think!

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                            Out of curiousity, was that an integration exercise?
                            Sort of. Integrated PDF/RDF Plns for a PDF course/excercise. Nothing to do with the Integration pilot although a lot of RDF had on it had done two years Int Res pilot.

RDF where in command positions also - Pln Cmdr / Pln Sgt / Sec 2ics / Scouts

Attached Files
                            Last edited by ZULU; 2 April 2010, 14:15.

Comment

Sort of. Integrated PDF/RDF Plns for a PDF course/excercise. Nothing to do with the Integration pilot although a lot of RDF had on it had done two years Int Res pilot.

RDF where in command positions also - Pln Cmdr / Pln Sgt / Sec 2ics / Scouts
                              Furry muff. Like I said, I wasn't speaking on behalf of the whole DF. I have little visability of what the PDF get up to. Although saying that, I've heard that NATO Ts tend to result in a cluster fock, even in the PDF. I know our NATO T did!

Bare in mind as well, I joined the RDF in November 2008, I was the last man recruited into my unit and have only seen cutbacks since. So my view of the RDF will be a little blinkered. I haven't seen any large scale exercises being conducted with the RDF yet.

On that exercise, were the enemy working on their own initiative (aside from the final assualt). i.e. were they deployed on the ground with carte blanche to operate as they saw fit? Or were they placed in set positions for the purposes for the exercise?

The other interesting point from the AAR was that the enemy avoid contacting units like SOF, Force Recon, deliberate fighting patrols, and instead targeted the logistics convoys instead. So picking the fights they felt they could inflict the most damage in. I suppose they realise that that is where western armies strengths lie; in logistics. Eliminate their supplies and vehicles, and aside from CAS, they'd be on a level playing field.

Comment

Working...
                              X