• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L.E. Niamh ship leaves Cork to establish Liberia base

Navy ship leaves Cork for Liberia

RTE Website

October 8, 2003

(11:22) The Naval Service vessel, LE Niamh, left the Haulbowline Naval Base in Cork this morning for Liberia to carry out a reconnaissance mission.

Together with the Irish Army, the Navy are to set up a base for Irish troops joining the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Liberia following the end of the civil war.

In eight days' time the ship will reach the port of Monrovia, where it will provide security back-up, communications and logistic support for the Army party.

The Niamh is carrying military vehicles and stores aboard.

The reconnaissance mission is to establish a base and plan for the deployment of 400 troops due to go to Liberia later this year.

**DELETED**
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

well i wish them the best of luck!
      godspeed!
      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

Comment

What did you do, give away secrets or just insult them?

Comment

Best of luck lads, and do us pround (as you usually do).
          Out of interest, what vechials could you fit on board ther Niamh???
          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
          http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20
            What did you do, give away secrets or just insult them?
            neither.... sorry to disapoint!
            this section of the board doesnt let you delete your own posts, i just made a slight error!

Comment

An interesting and welcome development.

However, does anyone find the deployment of the L.E. Niamh strange due to the fact that Niamh has no Helicopter landing pad and if a small number troops need to be supported in a hurry surely there is need of a helicopter (drop, evac, med-evac, fire support - if only a door MG). Even though apparently the Dauphin is no longer deployed from Eithne this should not matter, I am not talking about take off/landings at sea, but from a stationery ship (with an onboard hanger) in port. I know that it has a heavier weapon than the Eithne, but I really don't think the 76mm could ever be used to shell land targets (neither efficient nor I would think in line with policy, also if fire support is needed then bring a 105 along).

Also, I thought the White Paper just about rulled out an operational deployment of this type, limiting the NS role to re-supply?

I too would be interested to know what vehicles are on-board, has the Niamh a previously unmentioned "Flex" capability?

IAS

Comment

Why not sent the 2

Why not send the two ships? This would be a major involvement. Or would that over streach the N.S. from its patrolling?

Remeber a artical in an cosintoir back a while when the 2 Bn did a beach landing in gormastown, would this be a chance to put that into real practice.

If it is a recce mission, they might be carring ARW, and the it may be motor bikes there bringing with them, didn't they do this in east teamor?

Comment

The NS can't spare 2 ships for any length of time.

As for beach landings, the exercise that was desribed in An Costanoir only involved landing a recce team. It would hardly be feasable for large scale deployment.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I seem to remember an article in cosantoir a while back describing a training exercise carried out by an rdf unit. It involved some sort of a naval trip and landing from the Eithne. The troops were billeted in the hangar
                    There is no problem that cannot be fixed with high explosive.

Comment

L.E. Niamh is carrying 3 x Nissan Patrol jeeps (in UN white, naturally) along with associated trailer(s).
                      IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

Comment

But where did they find the room to put them? Did they have to leave some crew or supplies behind or was Niamh designed with this role in mind?

Comment

Three Nissans and a trailer

Comment

hit reply before I have finished!!

Two on the stern and one to port.

Comment

Thats fair enough I suppose. I presume that there will be more vehicles to follow i.e. mowags etc when the rest of the troops arrive

Comment

Working...
                              X