Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What aircraft will be patrolling over the EU Summit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What aircraft will be patrolling over the EU Summit ?

What aircraft will be patrolling the skies over the EU Summit in 2004 ?

Perhaps I should have been more precise with my question - I was suggesting what aircraft would be carrying out CAP patrols (if any!), hence only Marchetti's, PC-9's and jets were originally listed.

Air Corps Marchetti's ?
    5.26%
    Air Corps PC-9M's ?
    5.26%
    Air Corps Cessna's ?
    10.53%
    Belgian F-16's ?
    7.89%
    Swedish Viggen's or Gripen's ?
    5.26%
    RAF Tornado's ?
    7.89%
    Ryanair 737's ?
    18.42%
    Other ?
    13.16%
    Sopwith Pup
    7.89%
    GASU Defender
    5.26%
    Helicopters (GASU, A111, Foreign Loaners)
    13.16%
    Last edited by FMolloy; 14 October 2003, 21:02.
    IRISH AIR CORPS - Serving the Nation.

I reckon the Belgians myself, Air Corps has Belgian connections, apperently old Cranners used to fly their F-16's in his spare time!!!!!!!:D :D :D
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You forgot the main surveillance asset that parks in Baldonnel....

The PBN Defender,combined with the GASU Helis....
      Thats what done top cover during Clintons visit...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I'm surprised no one agreed with me that Ryanair would be doing security.
        "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

xxxxxx
          Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 13:46.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

I can honestly see the RAF providing CAP`s for the summits in the country.
            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Why does everyone presume that there will be anything patroling over Dublin?

I'd imagine that the Defender and both Garda helis will be up, but what on earth is the point of boring little holes in the sky over Dublin with fighters?

Comment

GASU aircraft & Heli's have been added.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I doubt very much we'll see foreign fighters in the skies over Dublin, the C&C issues would be too involved. For instance, who is in command? An Irish officer mightn't have the experience, but a foreign officer wouldn't have authority to authorize a fighter to open fire. Also, who would the foreign personnel be ultimately responsible to?

Armed aircraft will only really be for show. Any repeat of 11 Sept would result in massive casualties, either from a successful attack or from a fighter shooting down an airliner over Dublin. Either way, the terrorists would pull off a 'spectacular'.

If there is going to be armed aircraft, it'll either be PC-9's or Marchetti's. They'd be as useful as F-16's in the end.
                  "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

'boring holes in the sky'

As I recall, Clintons visit was before middle east filth started chucking air liners at people, even then, you can bet, the USAF/USN was not very far away.
                    Because the country has been run by a succession of money grabbing idiots, we have no fighters, therefore it is likely that there will be a number of visiting fighters available, to make up for the shortcomings of our so-called leaders.
                    It is possable that we may never see them, several fighters could be orbiting close to the east coast and we would never know about it, I doubt it thou' invisable fighters are an invitation, not a deterent, so it is possable I will get a few photo's of decent equipment at the very least.

I could not be botherd going, once again, into the reasons why a country like ours should have fighters, those against them ignored the reasons before, there is no reason to suppose they will change for another round.
                    But I do think that the people who are against us having air-defence, and therefore are against us having a defence force at all, could come up with a better reason then they have, which seems to only be: 'because I say so'
                    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Maybe the US will be nice enough to let the UK borrow the F-22's...not. :D

If the government would get their heads out of their butts and realize that increasing airpower could get them into NATO....
                      "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

If the government would get their heads out of their butts and realize that increasing airpower could get them into NATO....
                        They're not looking to join NATO.

Comment

FMolloy do we have any PC-9's yet. I didn't think we were getting them until 2004. And if have one could it really catch a commercial jet to hit it with missiles

Comment

We won't have them until 2004, so I dunno if we'll have it on time. As for catching a commercial airliner, does it really matter? Shooting it down over a densely populated area like Dublin will result in massive casualties anyway.

Comment

The route from the airport of the center of the city is all north side. No self respecting southsider pilot would think twice about doing his patriotic duty :p

But it is a very short distance. I assume there will be military aircraft stationed at dublin airport during the visit. The contingency has to have been thought of. What are the air corps / air defence options if a plane is hijacked in the air or gets off the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X