This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish in British Army:Mark Hennessy

A good article over 2 pages by Mark Hennessy in this morning's Irish Times.

Discuss!!!

"Guys [in the Irish Army] are getting bored and fat and lazy. And they come back from UN missions with €25,000 in the bank. There’s nobody in the British army getting anything like that, even with the improvement in the overseas allowance brought in by David Cameron". Sgt. Joe Coyne from Kildare.

Cannot be true surely
    Last edited by timhorgan; 31 July 2010, 11:04.

Originally posted by timhorgan View Post
    they come back from UN missions with €25,000 in the bank.
    DF Private on 6 month armed tour:
    Overseas Peace Support Allowance (daily) - € 61.27
    Overseas Armed Peace Support Allowance (daily) - € 23.58
    Just under € 15,500

DF Sergeant/SNCO on 6 month armed tour:
    Overseas Peace Support Allowance (daily) - € 65.63
    Overseas Armed Peace Support Allowance (daily) - € 23.58
    Nearly € 16,250

Plus maybe UN allowance (called pre dium or something like that) which was something like US$1.50 a day.

Comment

is this on top of the normal wage

Comment

Originally posted by golden rivet View Post
        is this on top of the normal wage
        Yes

so for a sinlge lad- he also has 6 months wages awaiting for him

or for a marrried lad like me

he has a new sofa- venitian blinds and something called trebbatine tiles in the

down stairs shittery
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Yes

down stairs shittery
          Travertine, i got a bill for these recently as well, 50 yo-yo's a metre, and there was some amount of metres.

Comment

an excellent article Tim, highlighting the fact that if you want to be a soldier - you can do it NOW despite being over subscribed with potential recruits - especially with the Irish Regiments in the British Army - a great opportunity for any young lad wishing to soldier.

these comments were interesting from on Irish Sergeant:

"Sgt Joe Coyne of the Royal Irish comes from Newbridge, Co Kildare. He joined in 1997, and says Irish Army soldiers, frustrated by the lack of UN duties, are quitting and enrolling in the British army.

“They want to go to places like Afghanistan. The Irish Army doesn’t offer anything like that. Sure, they have a stable job for five years, but with very slow promotion,” says Coyne. “They want extra money for going away to places for six weeks. And you can buy your way out. Guys [in the Irish Army] are getting bored and fat and lazy. And they come back from UN missions with €25,000 in the bank. There’s nobody in the British army getting anything like that, even with the improvement in the overseas allowance brought in by David Cameron."

we certainly don't get paid as well on operations, but the operations we do are certainly where the action is and as a soldier it's there that you will find fulfilment.
            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

There not quiting because of UN duties... We don't make policy and cannot dictate where we go on deployments..

We are not the British Army and the quicker ppl get this into the heads the better off we'll be.

I know SGM Coyne and I'm sure he wouldn't be to pleased with his son's comments as he spent a good proportion of his career overseas and he was not fat or lazy.. He is a true professional..

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                Yes

down stairs shittery
                You have a down stairs shitter? posh bastage

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                  There not quiting because of UN duties... We don't make policy and cannot dictate where we go on deployments..

We are not the British Army and the quicker ppl get this into the heads the better off we'll be.

I know SGM Coyne and I'm sure he wouldn't be to pleased with his son's comments as he spent a good proportion of his career overseas and he was not fat or lazy.. He is a true professional..
                  As the son of someone in the Irish Army and himself a member of the British Army I would say he's in a good position to make that call.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                    As the son of someone in the Irish Army and himself a member of the British Army I would say he's in a good position to make that call.
                    His father is retired approx 5-6 years now.

Comment

His father is retired approx 5-6 years now.
                      Yes but no doubt he is fully aware of how much time his old man spent abroad or away on exercises, presumably his dad also didnt keep secret what his working week entailed.

Comment

Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
                        Yes but no doubt he is fully aware of how much time his old man spent abroad or away on exercises, presumably his dad also didnt keep secret what his working week entailed.
                        WTF has that got to do with any thing? His father was the SGM of the Military Police School in the Curragh.. training new MP's/MP Officers and International MP's.

As I said already, we don't make policy....

If your so interested you head off to the UK and join the BA.

Comment

I'm actually surprised at the irish times, and the way it plays along with the BA soft recruitment tactics.

Given the television news every night, there will always be those who are attracted by the idea that Afghanistan is an adventure and exciting.

In reality its neither
                          Last edited by paul g; 31 July 2010, 16:02.

Comment

WTF has that got to do with any thing? His father was the SGM of the Military Police School in the Curragh.. training new MP's/MP Officers and International MP's.

As I said already, we don't make policy....

If your so interested you head off to the UK and join the BA.
                            good point - come over and join us because there ain't much scope for a lad wanting to join the Army in Ireland for the past few years and for a while yet.

hopefully things will improve soon, but in the meantime....
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              good point - come over and join us because there ain't much scope for a lad wanting to join the Army in Ireland for the past few years and for a while yet.

hopefully things will improve soon, but in the meantime....
                              Should you not be getting pissed beside a pool or some thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X