Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardsman saved by Rosary beads.

Afghan soldier saved from bomb blast by 'blessed' rosary beads

A soldier has followed in the footsteps of his great-grandfather in World War II – being saved from an Afghan bomb blast by a rosary.

Pictured: Glenn Hockton on duty in Afghanistan. (Essex News and Pictures)
    Glenn's Great Grandfather Joseph "Sunny" Truman, who was also "saved" by his Rosary Beads (Essex News and Pictures)

Guardsman Glenn Hockton was on tour with the Coldstream Guards in Helmand Province when he felt something brush his neck and realised his rosary beads had fallen off.
    As he looked for them, he saw an improvised explosive device at his feet. ‘I could see a strip of metal and I realised it was an IED between my feet,’ said the 19-year-old, now back from tour.
    ‘I was in a state of shock. I got on my knees and brushed away the sand with a brush I use to clean my rifle and I saw a little bit more metal. If it hadn’t been for my beads coming off, I would have stepped on it.
    ‘I realised there was someone watching over me. I wanted the rosary beads like my great-grandfather and I thank God I had them,’ he added.
    Sixty-five years earlier, Guardsman Hockton’s great-grandfather, Pte Joseph ‘Sunny’ Truman, was a prisoner of war being marched away from the Allies when his moment of divine intervention happened.
    Pte Truman, who was serving with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, went to pick up a rosary lying on the ground just as a bomb exploded, killing six members of his platoon.
    Guardsman Hockton’s mother, Sheri Jones, said he took the rosary to Afghanistan knowing one had saved his great-grandfather. ‘My mum bought him one and got it blessed,’ said the 41-year-old from Tye Green, Essex. ‘When Glenn told me what happened I told him, “that’s granddad”.’
    Share this article..|

Well that's something!
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Doesnt look like an Afghani soldier to me Spec savers for me I think

Comment

Working...
      X