Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the triple lock...a liablity?

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
    Me to bud..More professionally run too..Well it seemed that way to me..
    Thats why that crap triple lock mechanism should be axed- Ricky boy Barret may feel all gooey

inside- but the poor Soldier wont ever feel safe on a UN Mission-

the UN will never ever back you up -where as NATO will unleash the 4 horseman

to protect you.

Nato also have a bigger stable of non male soldiers and they feed you more.
    Last edited by Turkey; 16 September 2010, 13:19.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

I think it's about time this triple lock nonsense was debated.....
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Triple lock is actually anti-neutrality, as it forces us to respond to world crisis based on what the super powers think.
      If China vetoes, we cant go. If US Vetoes, we can't go. etc.

We should leave the decision to go overseas to our own government and nobody else.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

bin it, stupid idea
        courage, endurance, mateship and sacrifice

Comment

Coming from the crowd who think there's a 'Hospital ship'. But I do think it's time to be debated.

Comment

Perhaps it should be put to people on the basis of whether or not they want Russian, China, France, the UK and the US to have a veto over a critical aspect of our security policy, because as it stands, they do now.

Comment

CHINA CONTROLS IRISH FOREIGN POLICY

Imagine that headline! HH is spot on in relation this one. Every country in the world might want to intervene in a crisis but if the Chinese (or one of the other permanent members of the security council) don't like it there will be no UN mandate and the Irish DF will be left at home. Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets stuck while we sit on the side lines again.

Comment

Sorry lads, I don't fully understand the triple lock; could someone explain it briefly? I'm guessing it has to do with 3 sets of permissions to mobilise troops, but who's permission?

Comment

1. UN Mandate
                  2. Cabinet Approval
                  3. Dail (Parliament) vote

2 & 3 are linked really. You would expect the Cabinet to represent a majority in the Parliament.

Not sure if number 3 should be Dail and Seanad (Our "upper house" like the House of Lords) but the same principle should apply. The Government should have a majority here too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                    1. UN Mandate
                    2. Cabinet Approval
                    3. Dail (Parliament) vote

2 & 3 are linked really. You would expect the Cabinet to represent a majority in the Parliament.

Not sure if number 3 should be Dail and Seanad (Our "upper house" like the House of Lords) but the same principle should apply. The Government should have a majority here too.
                    Bin part 1, and we'll see you at the FRV.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Minister Killeen made it clear in Kilkenny this year, that Irish Troops were not going to increase participation in a certain AO.

As for the triple lock. Why should the UN (read Large players) dictate Irish Foreign policy?
                      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                        Bin part 1, and we'll see you at the FRV.
                        Not quite ! There's nudge- nudge, wink- wink anti-partitionism at work in all this and it's none- too- subtly camouflaged as neutrality.

Comment

bummer!
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Subliming our foreign and security policy to China, Russia and the US...

I can see why the left are so keen on it.

Is parliamentary approval a standard requirement in european states?

The false bottomed morality of pacifism and the neutrality complex really makes me so angry that I get nauseous.
                            All of the horrors in the world, all of the atavistic hands clawing back the fragile progress of the human race...and some duffer expects me to believe that doing nothing is the best thing.

Oh, wait, not doing nothing. Having meetings in the upstairs of Dublin pubs, and insisting on not going anywhere too "Celtic Tiger" for lunch.
                            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

When the Kosovo crisis spilled over into Macadoneia

the DF had bodies on standby to join the mission in Macadoneia to alleviate the problems.

However Macadoneia had at one stage recognised Twaian- so China veto'd any UN involvement

in Macadoneia.

Macadoneia lost out on UN aid but thankfully NATO thought fcuk the Chinkie- lets help those who need help.
                              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X