British Army's front-line kit on Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army's front-line kit on Discovery

i don't know if any of you have been following this on Discovery but it's very good:

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/frontline-battle-machines/

Fed up with the endless newspaper articles about how troops were being sent to war with inadequate kit, TV presenter Mike Brewer decided it was time to find out the truth.

Those who have seen TV presenter and motoring journalist Mike Brewer on programmes such as 'Driven', 'Wheeler Dealers' and 'Deals on Wheels' know all about his down-to-earth personality and no-nonsense assessments of the vehicles featuring on his shows.

So maybe it was a bold move by the MOD to react so positively to his bid to produce a series for the Discovery Channel putting front line equipment to the test.

Read more here: www.mod.uk/discovery_frontline

just shows anyone will say anything if you pay them enough

only joking - if you like an insight into military kit it is a great show.
    Attached Files
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    Fed up with the endless newspaper articles about how troops were being sent to war with inadequate kit, TV presenter Mike Brewer decided it was time to find out the truth.
    Pity he didn't do a program on snatch land rovers or vector...a few years ago
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      Pity he didn't do a program on snatch land rovers or vector...a few years ago
      yes it is mate, i didn't know you liked them so much.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Have to say that Mike Brewer is a knob.....
        That show would have been much better without him. I was sick of listening to him rabble on about the "frontlines" which in afghan dont exist. And going on about the Tally Ban....

I swear it was like having a talking version of the sun newspaper narrate the thing.
        But there's no danger
        It's a professional career
        Though it could be arranged
        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
        If you're out of luck you're out of work
        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

True, but I still like watching Wheeler Dealer from time to time

Comment

i just like the kit and seeing this insight into it is interesting.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

I thought Mike was good in this context? I think he's "what you see is what you get". It was a "tabloidly" show but enjoyable overall and I liked it.

I feel that Mike is at least sincere and authentic. He's a genuine petrol head. He would have passion and genuine interest in the kit and I think that came across as he 'hosted' the episodes.

I wouldn't be relying him for advice about tactics but I'd have a pint with him or ask him to come with me if I was buying a second hand car. I don't read the Times for that latest saucy pics of Halle Berry but I don't read the Sun either for the editorial. Horses for courses?

Did you see the episode with the Chinook? There was no editing of his reaction when he got back. Taking Ross Kemps shows as a contrast I couldn't put out of my mind that he's an actor so was never sure how authentic he was and I thought he was trying too hard to be one of the lads when really he's one of the Lords?

Comment

I enjoyed the series and it was great that they managed to capture that daring MEDEVAC where the Chinook pilot took a round to the face and still flew the Chinook home. May he never have to buy his own beer again after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessup View Post

Did you see the episode with the Chinook? There was no editing of his reaction when he got back.
                  He milked the shit out of that big time. I'm not saying he didnt dodge a bullet (no pun intended) but he played it up.... Even kissing the thing in the last episode.

Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                  Taking Ross Kemps shows as a contrast I couldn't put out of my mind that he's an actor so was never sure how authentic he was and I thought he was trying too hard to be one of the lads when really he's one of the Lords?
                  As for Ross Kemp i dont rate his acting too much. And he was at the sharp end of things more often and didnt big it up in the way Mike Brewer did.

It was an interesting insight to the kit, thought the rebuilding of Mastiffs was interesting seeing the state some of them where in. But Brewer went on like a spa, which just did my nut in....
                  But there's no danger

Comment

lol fair one turbocalves!
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Sorry I'm a cranky cunt in my old age :P

Some savage kit, but a knob of a host.

Those RAF lads flying the Drones from Vegas, do they get a tour medal?
                      But there's no danger

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                        He milked the shit out of that big time. I'm not saying he didnt dodge a bullet (no pun intended) but he played it up.... Even kissing the thing in the last episode.

in all fairness being in a helicopter when people shoot at you is terrifying

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                          in all fairness being in a helicopter when people shoot at you is terrifying
                          i totally agree, however we were flying out of Baghdad in a Herc one afternoon and there was a sharp crack of a noise and we all looked at each other then shrugged our shoulders and carried on reading FHM as we continued to climb.

the Australian soldier (he was either SF or government but not in standard uniform) who was getting his head down in the corner near the tail-ramp was asleep for the whole flight. well - we thought he was. turns out the crack was small arms that hit our Herc and the unlucky round went up into the back of his helmet and killed him instantly.

nobody realised what had happened until there was a large pool of blood making its way across the floor of the aircraft. the loadmaster and a medic tended to him but he was dead already.

poor lad, least he knew nothing about it, and either did we to be honest
                          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 28 January 2011, 04:02.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Jeez, poor sod. Talk about "when your number's up..."
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

i have to admit, i'm surprised how well our helicopters do survive given the amount of hits they take.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X