No announcement yet.

Minister Éamon Ó Cuív announces the recruitment of 200 general service recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minister Éamon Ó Cuív announces the recruitment of 200 general service recruits

Minister Éamon Ó Cuív announces the recruitment of 200 general service recruits to the Permanent Defence Force in 2011

The Minister for Defence, Éamon Ó Cuív, TD today (Friday 28th January 2011) announced that as an endorsement of the Government’s commitment to ensure that the Permanent Defence Force is capable of fulfilling the range of tasks assigned to it by the Government he has approved the recruitment of a further 200 enlisted personnel in 2011.

The Minister stated: “I can confirm that while the Permanent Defence Force, like all areas of the public service, will operate on a reduced budget in 2011, the proposed level of recruitment can be financed from the resources allocated to the Defence Vote in 2011 and are within numbers permitted by the Employment Control Framework for the Permanent Defence Force.

“Recruitment of the additional 200 enlisted personnel will be from existing panels. The military authorities will use this recruitment to ensure the filling of urgent operational requirements across the Permanent Defence Force. The exact details of apportionment across the various elements of the Permanent Defence Force are currently being finalised.”

The Minister made his announcement during his first official visit as Minister for Defence to Renmore Military Barracks, Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa, in Galway and to the adjoining office of the Department of Defence, Aras an tSáile, Galway.

On arrival at Renmore Barracks, the Minister was greeted by the Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Sean McCann, General Officer Commanding the Western Brigade Brigadier General Gerry Hegarty and the Officer Commanding the Barracks, Lt Col Scanlon.

Minister Ó Cuív reviewed a Guard of Honour of members of An Chéad Chath and was then briefed by senior military personnel and shown around the facilities at the Barracks. The Minister met personnel of An Chéad Chath which is the only Irish speaking Unit in the Defence Forces. The use of the Irish language is an important part of daily military life in the Barracks. There are currently 270 personnel serving in An Chéad Chath predominately from Galway, Mayo and the surrounding counties.

Speaking during the visit Minister Ó Cuív said: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank the personnel at Renmore Barracks for the important and positive contribution they make to the tasks performed by the Western Brigade. We all as citizens gained an appreciation of the value of our Defence Forces during the recent extreme weather events. I would also like to thank the members of the Defence Forces in the security of strategic installations, cash-in-transit duties, prison and prisoner security and aid to the civil authorities which is very important for the safety of our citizens.”

Following his visit to Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa, Minister Ó Cuív visited the Department of Defence offices in Aras an tSáile, Renmore. Some 160 civil servants are based in the office which was opened in 1989. The office is home to the Department’s Finance Branch and Internal Audit Section. Elements of the Department’s HR and Information Systems Branches are also located there. Minister Ó Cuív said: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to visit the office and meet with the staff who provide essential financial services to the Defence Organisation and Defence Forces pensioners. I wish them well in their continued work.”

ENDS

For further information please contact: Deirdre Creaney Press Officer Department of Defence Press Office 045 49 2108 or Press Office Mobile +3653 87 234 0397.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.
Working...
X