WO2 P45 4u-c u soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WO2 P45 4u-c u soon

I am just getting the hang of texting-is this how it was done? Quite disgraceful really.

no Tim, there is a big difference between texting and email.

they had already served their 22yrs and the VEng Contract clearly states that 12months notice can be given at any time.

yes i agree the CO should have brought them in to tell them but they are in a warzone and a face to face is not always possible.

and i don't think it is disgraceful - they were already offered and will have completed extended service beyond their initial contract.

what would be disgraceful is if we had a promotion embargo, took continued pay cuts and didn't recruit for a few years as has happened back in Ireland.

these men have had a full career and it's time to go - unfortunately.

i myself am due to go onto VEng in May - but if the Army decide to change their mind then so be it.

and just to reiterate - they were emailed, not sent a text so stop making things up (again).
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 15 February 2011, 09:23.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Come on RGJ

Even your own lads admitted that sending usch devasting news by email was not on.

Would the lads have had an inkling that they werent being allowed extend- so therefore it wouldnt

have been a complete kick in the bollixs.

Whats Veng?

PS- Never mind who reads the SUn- who cites it as a source of reference
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

obviously they are gutted to be told they are not extending for as long as they intended and that's why it is in the media.

the Army contracts have changed in recent years offering new soldiers longer careers beyond their 22yrs service that the rest of us old sweats are bound into.

VEng = Versatile Engagement - a special extension of contract offered to some of us to take us beyond our 22yrs in order to be fair to those of us who are on the old contract.

when you go onto VEng it is all clearly explained to you by your OC and you have to sign the contract to agree to the new terms and conditions of this offer of extended service which clearly states that at any time during VEng you can be given NTT (Notice To Terminate), but likewise at anytime during VEng the soldier can also decide to NTT and tell the Army he wants out in 12 months should he decide to leave the services himself.

it's not good when any soldier has to leave the services but to be honest, all of those on VEng have been very fortunate to serve any length of time beyond their 22.

all commanders will have good access to service email in Afghanistan and this would have been deemed the best method to expedite such information.

this is certainly not the "dumped by SMS" scenario Tim Horgan is trying to imply although i do agree having to discover this by email is far from ideal and should be communicated personally where possible.
        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 15 February 2011, 10:04.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
          Come on RGJ

Even your own lads admitted that sending usch devasting news by email was not on.

Would the lads have had an inkling that they werent being allowed extend- so therefore it wouldnt

have been a complete kick in the bollixs.

Whats Veng?

PS- Never mind who reads the SUn- who cites it as a source of reference

Apologies HH,
          It is just that the Sun was quoted on Radio 4 as originating the story. However, here is the answer to your question on veng from the "Independent"

The message was reported to have said: "In my capacity as the Career Manager for the Versatile Engagement Long Career (VEng LC) and Long Service List (LSL), I write to notify you that with regret, I must issue you with 12 months' Notice of Termination.

Comment

all explained in my post before yours.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Here it is, from a better source than The Scum. Sorry RGJ, I think somebody dropped a bolock here.
              The Army apologises after dozens of soldiers - including one in Afghanistan - were told they were losing their jobs by e-mail.

Army apologises for soldiers made redundant by e-mail

The Army has apologised after a reported 38 soldiers learned they were losing their jobs by e-mail.

The Sun said the men - all long-serving warrant officers and including one serving in Afghanistan - were told they were victims of the defence cuts.

An Army spokesman said commanding officers had spoken to those concerned to ensure they got advice and support.

Armed forces minister Nick Harvey has also apologised and said a thorough investigation would be launched.

The Sun said the soldiers each received a message giving them one year's notice and advising them to "start planning your resettlement".

It said the warrant officers included a Royal Tank Regiment veteran who was serving on the front line in Afghanistan.

A source at the Ministry of Defence told the BBC that all the soldiers had served at least 22 years.

They were on a long-service list and used on a posting by posting basis, the source added.

Soldiers would usually expect to be given such sensitive news face-to-face by a commanding officer.

Mr Harvey said a "serious administrative error" had been made by the Army Personnel Centre.

"People should have been seen individually and then an e-mail would follow with the details," he said.

"Unfortunately in this case, it's happened the other way around. That's very regrettable and we will make sure it does not happen again."

Conservative MP and former Army officer Patrick Mercer said he was "extremely disappointed" by the soldiers' treatment.

"It would be bad enough to treat any soldier like this. But these men are 22-year long-serving senior non-commissioned officers - the backbone of the Army.

"And to be dumped by e-mail - it's the sort of thing you might expect from a playground romance, not a 22-year contract with Her Majesty's armed forces."

Shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said the soldiers had been treated in a "callous, cold-hearted, soulless" way and called on ministers to take responsibility for the incident.
              'Absolutely unforgivable'

"We can't halt every redundancy in the armed forces, but this is no way to treat men and women who have served their country fearlessly for so many years," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"Sacking anybody by e-mail is wrong, but sacking our armed forces in this way is absolutely unforgivable."
              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                yes i agree the CO should have brought them in to tell them but they are in a warzone and a face to face is not always possible...

... i do agree having to discover this by email is far from ideal and should be communicated personally where possible.
                Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                Sorry RGJ, I think somebody dropped a bolock here.
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12461211
                i totally agree Flamingo, there are much better ways to communicate such news, now in particular that i see only one of the soldiers was on operations.

however the Defence Secretary has asked of a full investigation into this and someone inside the Army will get a bad OJAR (Officers Joint Annual Report) this year.

yes the British Army were wrong to do it this way but i don't think think the news being communicated is a 'disgrace' and nobody was 'dumped by SMS' as was implied.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

now excuse me while i go to work and check my email

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ, not only a "communications" failure but apparently also a "sense of humour" failure in the BA -neither of which is good in any army!!!

I hope whoever sent out the email put a little more thought into his St.Valentines's message to his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner (delete as applicable).

Comment

These things happen al the time in every Army throughoot the World.

Its sad for the lads,

but I bet they are all big hairy lads who arent crying into their pints of stella.

On a sad note- I heard that another young lad from the North died today in Afghanistan,

RIP to the young lad and sympathy to his friends and family.
                      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

RIP. sad news

Comment

rip.

Comment

Well, I suppose they had to make room for Knocker somehow! (Have you asked him if he's Second Class yet? )
                            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

In all seriousness, if I got the bullet by e-mail I would cause absolute murder back in the Unit.

Ridiculous carry on.

Comment

Working...
                              X