General State of the Air Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General State of the Air Corp

Hey Fox, good to see that you are still with us!

I´v been waiting since the 22nd of october for an answer to some questions I posed (in the NS section) about the performance of the air corps. I presumed that you were too busy, but I realise that you are too busy with flights of fancy about some imagined irish air force instead of the REAL air corps.

The AC board is always good for a bit of escapism.

Here are the questions I presume Sluggie is referring to:

Didn't you know that the aer corps don't want anyone else to fly government aircraft except them. However when they get the aircraft they come up with reasons not to use it ( except mon-fri 9-5). All the other agencies whom the aer corps has insisted on providing a "service" for have been badly let down - Gardai, Naval Service and coastguard.

Can you tell me what all 900 of thm do on a daily basis? How does the wage bill compare that of 2 full infantry battalions. How many of them are on duty outside of M-F 9-5?
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Just what are you on about?

Comment

In the original thread you expressed surprise that the helo did not operate from LE Eithne anymore. I pointed out that this has been the situation for nearly eight years. any air corps personnel that I ever came across hated serving on the Eithne. the idea of not being able to go home at 16.20 just apalled them. While the whole HPV concept was flawed the air corps never had their heart in it and got it shelved as soon as possible.

The Gardai never wanted the AC to fly their aircraft and were willing to hire civvies to provide an efficent service. They were even willing to swear civvie pilots into the force. The AC dug in and insisted that they were the only agency to fly state aircraft. The "service" provided to the cops is a matter of public record and the waste of money and resources is huge.

The difference in service provided to the coast guard by civvies and the AC has also been discussed at length.

So to get back to my last question: what are all 900 of them doing every day? Compare the value for money with civvie coast guard contractors, the naval service or a couple of infantry battalions. If you take into account all that tech pay and the huge ratio of officers to men you could probably afford 4 battalions.

Please answer these questions at the third time of asking.

Comment

Sluggie.
          I do not think I can answer even part of your question , but the subject of the usefulness of the Air Corps needs discussing anyway.
          There is no question of a doubt that the Air Corps management needs a good kick up the exhaust pipe as there are certain practices carried out there that are not helpful or efficent, to try and stay polite about it. While I belive that the Air Corps should be quite seriously re-invested in, the matter of how it is run should be strongly overhauled at the same time, particularly if such investment is going to include any expensive combat aircraft.
          As far as I can make out, the service is somewhat below the 900 bodies, and appears to be top-heavy with officers,mind you if it's any consolation, it is apparently not as bad as the RN; 48 ships including that almost finished a rebuild following a smashed hull, 'managed' by no less then 49 admirals.[T.I.M. make a joke out of that please]. Personally I do not find it much of a consolation.
          Monday to friday 9-5; not so, as it happens, not judging by friends and relations working hours withen Bal', and also as my house seems to lie directly in the path to and from there I observe Air Corps Traffic, late into the evening and at weekends too. Why is not my affair, only that it is there.
          I think that the Air Corps should handle most, if not all, of the state's flying services but they should do it in a more efficent mannor, but should see the reward for doing so, as should all other state services, it is quite often, for example, that bad reports appear in the media concerning sloppy operation or bad behaviour of the garda, can anybody remember when praise has been passed their way by our 'wonderful' media?
          The same is true of the treatment of the Air Corps, during the summer they happened to be in the right place at the right time with a Dauphin, and managed to pull off a very efficent peice of work which included transporting the victim to hospital, this was fairly widely reported in the media, so what, you ask; well it was the British media, down here the silence was deafening!
          Should we get rid of the Air Corps? definitly not. Can it go on the way it is going? also definitly not.
          As for what the hell can be done with it, well your guess is as good, or as bad, as mine.

While not meaning to knock this board in any way, I would like to point out that various veiwpoints, concerning the IAC are addressed on www.irishairpics.com where the members include an increasing number of Air Corps personall.
          "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
          Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
          Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Dear Administrator,

I must complain in the strongest terms about the shortcomings of the board. I was under the impression that members who subscribed to a thread were informed of any new posts so that they could reply. This function has clearly broken down as Fox has not replied to a series of questions put to him on three seperate occasions. There is surely a serious technical fault here as the only other explanation is that he has no answers or only wishes to talk shite and and post little men waving tricolours.

While I am grateful to turkey for his very well balanced and serious reply, I will not rest until I have heard from the number one authority on all things AC. Please fix this problem ASAP and restore free speech to the madra rua.

Kind Regards

Angry Punter

PS as a source of revenue to the board, I suggest a charge be levied on the use of smilies in posts. This would be on a sliding scale where the more you used the more expensive they became. All tricolour smilies would be charged at a premium rate. AP

Comment

Sluggie, you will not get answers to your questions here. It appears that those who might have answers are afraid to post for fear of being identified by their employer. I asked a simple question about Air Corps management or mismanagement. It got one post and 124 views. Fear stalks the board.

Comment

This function has clearly broken down as Fox has not replied to a series of questions put to him on three seperate occasions.
                Here's a crazy out there theory - maybe he didn't feel like replying.....or he was too busy....or he wasn't online....or he didn't know the answer etc. Just because you post a question doesn't mean someone absolutely has to reply.

Comment

fox is alive and well and adding to the board's store of knowlege with riveting posts such as this one on "intresting photo"

"interesting.....Well done everybody!"

So you're probably right ICUN, he dosen't know the answers or just dosen't want to talk about them.

Comment

I´v been waiting since the 22nd of october for an answer to some questions I posed (in the NS section) about the performance of the air corps. I presumed that you were too busy, but I realise that you are too busy with flights of fancy about some imagined irish air force instead of the REAL air corps.

The AC board is always good for a bit of escapism.

ACTUALLY I DONT REALLY POST IN THE NS SECTION AS I DONT CARE FOR IT. WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?

And why pay for putting up little Avatars? Hang on and i go get my Bank account details!

Grow up. I am not in the AC so cany comment, if you are then you should comment im only giving my view, nobody elses,
                    (MOD: Rest of post edited for abusive language)
                    Last edited by FMolloy; 13 November 2003, 19:26.

Comment

Its good to know that you don't comment on matters that you know nothing about. It dosn't appear to have stopped you in the past but should improve matters in the future.

ps Nork? Thick shite?tit? Moi? Surely not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk
                        Sluggie, you will not get answers to your questions here. It appears that those who might have answers are afraid to post for fear of being identified by their employer. I asked a simple question about Air Corps management or mismanagement. It got one post and 124 views. Fear stalks the board.

Indeed it does...with nasty pointy teeth and huge jaws and a great big.....er....never mind..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

900? Ummm. Nope. About 600 do the job required of the Air Corps. The rest are administrators, drivers, MPs etc. Now, of the 600 that are left, I'd say that they do the job that is required of 900, and do it very well. I have yet to come acress a technician, pilot or crewman that is eager to go home at 1620 when there is still a job to do. Unless you can argue with figures that will appear in next year's annual report that equal if not exceed the total number of hours that the Air Corps has ever flown in one year, then post an 'ignore' on future Air Corps threads.

Comment

Working...
                          X