3D technology helps helicopters land on sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D technology helps helicopters land on sand

The UK's Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) and industry partners have showcased new technology that helps helicopter pilots land more safely in sandy and dusty environments such as those found in Afghanistan.

A Royal Air Force Chinook helicopter throws up a ring of sand and dust as it comes in to land in the North African desert
    in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan

Scientists from Dstl, part of the Ministry of Defence, have led the technical development of a pioneering approach to the problem of a low visibility landing (LVL) phenomenon known as 'helicopter brownout'.

One of the most promising technologies, three-dimensional (3D) conformal symbology. This uses a small helmet-mounted display to provide a virtual representation of the landing zone that stays fixed to the earth as the pilot approaches.

The head-up display of an RAF Chinook helicopter fitted with new software to aid landing during brownout

The symbology is carefully designed to augment the real-world picture but also to provide all relevant information to allow the pilot to easily judge the height, speed and drift. It then replaces the real-world cues when they are obscured by dust. The display can be also be fitted to night-vision goggles to ensure 24-hour capability.

Read more here: www.mod.uk/dstl/3dlanding

looks like an excellent and well needed way of improving the pilots situational awareness during such arduous landing conditions.

i hope it comes to fruition.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 29 March 2011, 03:53.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Could be extremely useful for SAR pilots in foggy conditions too, I'd imagine
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      Could be extremely useful for SAR pilots in foggy conditions too, I'd imagine
      i agree TD, no doubt such technology could save countless lives if developed properly.

there are crews no longer with us today who could have benefited from such technology.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        i agree TD, no doubt such technology could save countless lives if developed properly.

there are crews no longer with us today who could have benefited from such technology.

The Irish Air Corps crew who died when their Dauphin crashed in Tramore a few
        years ago (RIP), for instance
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
          The Irish Air Corps crew who died when their Dauphin crashed in Tramore a few
          years ago (RIP), for instance
          indeed those fine men, and a few others.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
          X