Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British, German and American Paratroopers take to the skies together over England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British, German and American Paratroopers take to the skies together over England

For all you airborne folk out there:

The week-long Exercise Pegasus Reply, hosted by 9 Parachute Squadron Royal Engineers, has seen British, German and American soldiers join forces for two parachute jumps to share experiences and working practices.

The training was the third in a series of similar multinational exercises, with Luftlandepionerkompanie 270 (Lpk 270) hosting the previous two at their base in Seedorf, northern Germany. American soldiers from 321 Special Tactics Squadron (321 STS), based at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, also took part.

The troops dropped onto the STANTA training area in Norfolk, with soldiers jumping from a British C-130J Hercules aircraft using British parachutes on Wednesday of last week and from an American MC-130H Combat Talon II using American parachutes on Thursday.

read more here: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/BritishGermanAndAmericanSoldiersTakeToTheSkiesToge ther.htm

i guess seeing German paratroopers jumping out of a Luftwaffe aircraft is still too much to stomach over England

good to see this sort of cross training going on, and great to see the Sappers leading the way - even in the skies.
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 24 June 2011, 00:14.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

More importantly they get foreign jump wings!
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      More importantly they get foreign jump wings!
      true.

actually RJ - there were two LCPL medics from the RAMC in the Med Centre today - all winged up with foreign wings on their chest too - i don't know what country's wings they were though.
      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Do you wear foreign wings on your dpms?
        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Does it go without saying that when they jumped previously fron German planes German parachutes were used.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
            Does it go without saying that when they jumped previously fron German planes German parachutes were used.
            no idea mate - probably. i've flown in a Herc many times, but never had the inclination to jump out of one.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

OK,I was just wondering if there was any tactical reason for using each others chutes.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
                OK,I was just wondering if there was any tactical reason for using each others chutes.
                i think it's just to cross train and experience military jumps with different chutes and the effects it has.

i'm sure you do have to use the other nations chutes to earn their para wings.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  i'm sure you do have to use the other nations chutes to earn their para wings.
                  For foreign Paras to earn Canadian wings, they must jump with Canadian parachutes and be dispatched by Canadian jumpmasters.
                  "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

Bet ye never thought ye'd see the day when Die Fallschirmjaeger would be dropping
                    out of the skies over England, eh RGJ ???
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      Bet ye never thought ye'd see the day when Die Fallschirmjaeger would be dropping
                      out of the skies over England, eh RGJ ???
                      NEVER!

that's probably why they Luftwaffe don't drop the Germans over England lol.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Why wouldn't they? The Luftwaffe Tornadoes have bombed UK ranges. No valid reason why their paras couldn't drop over the UK. No point in cooperating if the old wartime mindset if still extant.
                        regards
                        GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          Why wouldn't they? The Luftwaffe Tornadoes have bombed UK ranges. No valid reason why their paras couldn't drop over the UK. No point in cooperating if the old wartime mindset if still extant.
                          regards
                          GttC
                          true, i'm only taking the p|ss, i guess it was just easier to jump from RAF / USAF aircraft already based in England.

for years we have had German Panzers pounding across South Wales in the British Army base at Castlemartin.

and i was on exercise with some Dutch Marines on Salisbury Plain a while ago.
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

The Luftwaffe have bombed the UK before so there's precedent there, whereas the Germans have never dropped paratroops on the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              and i was on exercise with some Dutch Marines on Salisbury Plain a while ago.
                              Did you invade Holland too?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X