X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Army recruitment policy

Found this in the UK Guardian:

Britain's own child soldiers
    A third of army recruits are under 18. Is it right to target the young and the underachieving poor?

Libby Brooks
    guardian.co.uk, Thursday 7 July 2011 20.35 BST

Michael Lyons arrives at the HMS Nelson court martial centre at Portsmouth naval base, where he faced a charge of wilful disobedience after refusing on 'moral grounds' to deploy to Afghanistan. Photograph: Chris Ison/PA
    What first attracted Michael Lyons to a career in the armed forces was an advertisement he spotted as a teenager, depicting the Royal Navy delivering humanitarian aid. Lyons, now 25, is beginning a seven-month term in military detention after being found guilty earlier this week of wilful disobedience of a lawful order. He was also demoted and dismissed from the navy, where he had served since 2005 as a medical assistant submariner.

After refusing rifle training because of moral objections to his deployment in Afghanistan, Lyons's case was the first to be heard on grounds of conscientious objection in over a decade. Because his concerns were broadly political – stemming, he said, from the WikiLeaks revelations – rather than religious, there was minimal precedent for the decision. (There was, of course, a well-established tradition of conscientious objectors in the last two world wars, with thousands of British men, including my own Quaker grandfather, granted exemptions on condition of "alternative service".)

Perhaps it was simply the case that Lyons, who enlisted at 19, grew up. He is not the first, nor will he be the last, young man to enter the forces with a naive or partial view of all this commitment entails and then suffer the consequences. Recruitment centres are reportedly overwhelmed with inquiries from all age groups: but 30% of British army recruits last year were under 18. Such early sign-up is a historical anachronism: the UK is one of fewer than 20 countries in the world to recruit from the age of 16, and the only EU state to do so. In a 2005 review following the deaths at Deepcut barracks, the defence committee included a specific recommendation to reconsider the minimum age, but this has yet to be taken up.

The rising percentage of 16-year-olds joining up is arguably an inevitable result of spiralling youth unemployment. But it may also be the outcome of intensifying efforts to attract young people to a forces career – increasingly targeting those below recruitment age – following negative publicity around the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. In 2007, the then head of the army's recruitment strategy noted: "Our new model is about raising awareness, and that takes a 10-year span. It starts with a seven-year-old boy seeing a parachutist at an air show and thinking, 'that looks great'. From then the army is trying to build interest by drip, drip, drip."

As the Informed Choice report for Forces Watch found in the same year, recruitment material emphasised potential benefits – challenge, comradeship, travel – while obscuring the radical change from civilian to military life, the ethical issues involved, and the risks to physical and mental health. Key messages were tailored to adolescent interests: military careers were presented as glamorous, warfare as game-like. The reality is that, although international law sets 18 as the minimum age for participation in conflict, at least 10 soldiers that age have died in Afghanistan.

And the demographic that is targeted is significant. The armed forces draws non-officer recruits mainly from young people with low educational attainment and living in poor communities. Research suggests schools from deprived areas are more likely to be visited by recruiters, with particular focus on the north-east of England, Scotland and Wales. Infantry recruits need only the literacy skills of a five-year-old to join. A large proportion appear to sign up for negative reasons, such a lack of civilian opportunities.

Regardless of where you place yourself on the pacifist continuum, it's legitimate to question whether school is an appropriate forum for the military. The coalition would certainly seem to believe it is, given its proposed expansion of cadet forces across the state sector and use of former soldiers as mentors.

Although the recruitment literature emphasises education and training opportunities for younger recruits, many complain of being seriously misled. In 2009, the MoD's own survey found under 18s significantly less likely to feel they had benefited from training or to want to make a career in their service, and more likely than older recruits to be considering leaving.

Advice services regularly receive calls from teenage recruits having trouble getting a discharge or have gone awol. According to a report by the Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers, in 2010 at least eight of the under-18s who had gone awol were sentenced by court martial to military imprisonment. The report also calls into question the economic rationale of early recruitment: between 2006 and 2011, almost half of the recruits who had enlisted before their 18th birthday had left the armed forces without completing their minimum period of service.

There will, of course, be young men – and it is still mainly men – who enlist as teenagers, stay the course and avail themselves of every opportunity going. But there will likewise be those who will scrape a few years within an institution unsuited to their needs, then return to the communities they were escaping from in the first place, with no resettlement support and minimal transferable skills, perhaps having picked up a heavy drink habit or post-traumatic stress along the way. From this angle, the parachutist at the air show looks a lot less benign
    Libby Brooks: A third of army recruits are under 18. Is it right to target the young and the underachieving poor?

In the interests of balance this is the MOD's response:

British Army recruitment policy
    The Guardian features a comment piece by Libby Brooks looking at the British Army's recruitment policy and questions whether it is 'morally right to target the young and the underachieving poor' and claims that a third of Army recruits are under the age of 18. The piece goes on to claim that those who leave the Army receive no resettlement support and minimal transferable skills.
    Under-18s are not deployable and the Government's recruitment policy for Under-18s is fully compliant with United Nations Conventions. All recruitment is voluntary and Under-18s must provide written consent from a parent or guardian. The duty of care to all recruits and in particular those aged under 18 is of the utmost importance to us, and parents or guardians, as well as the applicants themselves, are given comprehensive guidance on the terms and conditions of service.
    All new recruits have a right to discharge within their first six months of service and an individual who is still under 18 years old retains that right to discharge. All recruits to the Armed Forces undergo selection, including medical, educational and physical tests, but military training is tough and some do not meet the increasing demands placed on them as training progresses. The vast majority of recruits complete Phase 1 training - however, there are some who elect to leave.
    All Service leavers, including those under 18, receive a resettlement package, including guidance on employment options and details of welfare and education entitlements. They also have access to the Regular Forces Employment Association and the Officers Association, which are charitable organisations that help Service leavers with finding jobs
    17 is young 16 is way too young (imo)

Originally posted by Orion View Post
    17 is young 16 is way too young (imo)
    as a soldier who joined the British Army at 17, and has served with hundreds of soldiers who were just 16 when they joined - i don't see any problem with it at all.

some for the finest soldiers we have are often those who joined youngest.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ can a soldier be deployed when he/she is under 18? I know the DF recruits people from the age of 17 but usually they won't serve overseas untill they are 18.

Comment

I know that the US school system is a different dynamic than the UK system (which allows you the first opportunity to leave at 16?), but had I theoretically looked to join the service right after high school then I would've signed up and been sworn in at 17 (which does require parental consent here, and is the earliest age at which one can sign up AFAIK). I wouldn't have shipped to basic till I finished school, though as I graduated about a month before my 18th birthday I theoretically could've shipped at age 17. Article is pretty misleading IMO.
        "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Enlisting

In the US, current policy is one can enlist with parental/guardian consent at 17, however you cannot be deployed overseas until you are 18. These enlistments are looked at carefully and require a higher level of approval than a 18+. You have to have a leaving cert (or equivalent called a GED in the US) to enlist, so given that requirement, most young recruits are right at 18 when they get in. Once you are in, though, regardless of age, you can't just leave. There are some situations where you can be booted from basic training but those are few, usually medical, sometimes psychological. Once Uncle Sam has his hooks in you, it's hard to get out.

Don't know that I'd agree with 16 year old enlistments, maturity issues, still some growing up to do but then it seems to be working for the BA and British society is not the US.

A

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            some for the finest soldiers we have are often those who joined youngest.
            How many are 'institutionalised' by the Army being all they know? Not every city and town has a Brú na bhFianna in it, to take care of people who can't cope with leaving the barracks.

Comment

Some poverty industry employee here ( trocara i think) was banging on about

boy soldiers in the third world, and wanted the Army to higher recruiting age to 19.

Army said if that came in they could lose the chance to offer the army as a career

to lads before they take up something else or become institutionalised hanging around

with wasters.

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
                In the US, current policy is one can enlist with parental/guardian consent at 17, however you cannot be deployed overseas until you are 18......
                Same policy applies in the Irish Defence Forces

Recruits to the Reserve Defence Force who are under 18 also need a parental/guardian
                consent form signed off by their parent(s) / guardian(s)
                Last edited by Truck Driver; 10 July 2011, 02:56.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

It doesn't mention that lads coming in at 16 or 17 spend nearly a year in Army Foundation College. I think it's 42 weeks. That's not just green stuff, there are syllabi for maths and english (among others) which have to be completed. For young lads who don't attend school, or just turn up and switch off, maybe doing it in tandem with uniformed service is a better way of ensuring they turn up, do the work and learn. Let's face it, do you think the shit that goes on in a government school classrooms (constant disrespect to teachers, truancy etc) would fly in the Army Foundation College? No, didn't think so.

Comment

I don't know if the age of recriutment for apprentices in the DF has changed, but when I joined in '86, 16 year olds were allowed join, and the youngest in my platoon was 16 years and 1 week when he enlisted.
                    CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

Originally posted by smegers View Post
                      RGJ can a soldier be deployed when he/she is under 18? I know the DF recruits people from the age of 17 but usually they won't serve overseas untill they are 18.
                      just saw this now smegers - apologies for the delay.

we send our 'under 18s' overseas but not on operations. i.e. when we train in Canada or Kenya or anywhere else we have the younger lads with us but they won't deploy on Ops.

the youngest of our soldiers killed in Afghanistan was from my Battalion - Rifleman William Aldridge who turned 18 in May 2009 and was killed in July 2009. although the Battalion deployed on operations in April 2009, he could not deploy with the Battalion until he was 18.

read more here: Rifleman William Aldridge 2RIFLES RIP

Originally posted by Wicklaman View Post
                      How many are 'institutionalised' by the Army being all they know? Not every city and town has a Brú na bhFianna in it, to take care of people who can't cope with leaving the barracks.
                      how many are institutionalised? loads obviously - it's a way of life - but i've yet to meet a soldier of any age who couldn't handle leaving barracks - young or old, nigs and sweats - we normally bomb burst out the front gate every friday.

Originally posted by Napp View Post
                      It doesn't mention that lads coming in at 16 or 17 spend nearly a year in Army Foundation College. I think it's 42 weeks. That's not just green stuff, there are syllabi for maths and english (among others) which have to be completed. For young lads who don't attend school, or just turn up and switch off, maybe doing it in tandem with uniformed service is a better way of ensuring they turn up, do the work and learn. Let's face it, do you think the shit that goes on in a government school classrooms (constant disrespect to teachers, truancy etc) would fly in the Army Foundation College? No, didn't think so.
                      spot on Napp, it's a pretty strict place and the boys work hard there, applying themselves that bit better for the reasons you highlighted.

more here: Army Foundation College
                      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 12 July 2011, 19:07.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

one of our recruiting policies in the British Army is that we welcome lads from Ireland, and here is another member of IMO - a lad who left the 27th Batt PDF to join the RIFLES:

he will be posted to my battalion, 2RIFLES, and will deploy to Afghanistan later this year.

good luck brother, Celer et Audax.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 July 2011, 11:22.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Will recuitment be stopped now that the Army is to be reduced in size by 19,000?

The government is to spend £1.5bn over the next 10 years to enhance the capability of the nation's military reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                            Will recuitment be stopped now that the Army is to be reduced in size by 19,000?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14181145
                            no - we currently recruit about 14,000 per year to feed the Army at the size it is now.

the changes will not be fully implemented until 2020, and there is no confirmation we are reducing by 19,000.

still plenty of opportunity for Irish lads wanting to become soldiers.

we will always be recruiting but obviously we will need less Recruits, but plenty more Reservists.
                            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 19 July 2011, 11:28.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ

What's the boots the lad in the photo wearing ?

Comment

Working...
                              X