Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial to honour slain young UN peacekeeper

Photo recalls soldiers' Congo sacrifice

The old photograph showing Corporal Michael Nolan (left) and Trooper Pat Mullins (right) with Trooper Jerry Llewellyn (centre) and two young Congolese boys
    By Ralph Riegel
    Monday August 08 2011
    TWO young Irish UN peacekeepers pose happily with a colleague and two young Congolese boys.
    The photograph shows the soldiers just weeks before they were killed in the Congo in 1961.
    Trooper Pat Mullins (18) and Corporal Michael Nolan (22) died when their armoured car was ambushed in Katanga, a breakaway province of Congo on September 15, 1961.
    Both fought bravely against overwhelming mercenary forces before being shot and killed.
    Trooper Mullins's body was never recovered -- one of two Irish UN peacekeepers still 'missing in action'.
    Read more

I first heard this last year.... it isn't really highlighted by the DF, I had only heard of Pte Kevin Joyce

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      I first heard this last year.... it isn't really highlighted by the DF, I had only heard of Pte Kevin Joyce
      I am the same- to my shame I never knew that his body was still missing.
      Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
      Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
      The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
      The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
      The best lack all conviction, while the worst
      Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        I never heard of this until I read the Indo this morning. I served with a lot of guys who had been in the Congo but this incident was never mentioned.

Comment

Book was published late late last year. Missing in Action.

Its a good read. I had only heard of him as one of the guys who contributed to the book served overseas with Mullins and championed the case in the past.
          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Hi All

Some information and photographs on Tpr. Patrick Mullins's Memorial

http://curragh.proboards.com/index.c...lay&thread=724
            Glaine ár gcroí
            Neart ár ngéag
            Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar

Comment

Photos of the ceremony...

"Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
              X