Clear All

• An Cosantoir Article

This month's An Cosantoir has an interview with GOC AC.... some highlights:

- AC is being reduced by 48 under Croke Park

- CASA MLU means they have at least another 10-15 years service life left

- G IV also has a lot of operational life left

- Cessnas are still airworthy

- Grounded BKA 200 means that multi-engine training is being done on CASA

- AC is annually committed to 70-80 air ambulance flights, 1750 hrs of on-station maritime surveillance

- GASU helicopters have a 2 minute response time (it has never failed) and Defender has 12 minute response time

The future (when economy can support them):

- replacements for existing aircraft

- strategic lift capability (with other capabilities using quick-fits etc)

- maritime patrolling (NS is looking at patrolling out to 350nm)

- overseas deployment

- recognised air picture

Possible Cessna replacement, ideally:

- single engine turboprop (most types on the market use P&W PT-6 series (also powers PC-9 and AW139)

- excellent stable aerodynamic qualities at low and medium level

- extra cabin space to allow for multi-role (air ambulance, surveillance, cargo, VIP transport, SF ops)

I saw the Kingair take to the skies today.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      I saw the Kingair take to the skies today.
      That was not the Air Corps one that you saw... It was a USAF visitor...

The Air Corps one is grounded and will most likely never see the sky again as a Air Corps aircraft due to the high amount of work needed on her to make her airworthy....

Comment

Multi Engine Training

Presumably multi engine training on CASA takes place after extensive simulator training on another type (King Air simulator in France?), but is it not a dreadful waste of scarce resources to be carrying out such training on CASA's? How much/little would it cost to buy in a second hand twin engine civilian aircraft to fulfil this role, and should that not be a spending priority?

Comment

Originally posted by Tempest View Post
          Presumably multi engine training on CASA takes place after extensive simulator training on another type (King Air simulator in France?), but is it not a dreadful waste of scarce resources to be carrying out such training on CASA's? How much/little would it cost to buy in a second hand twin engine civilian aircraft to fulfil this role, and should that not be a spending priority?
          I'd assume so?!

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - new aircraft, new ground equipment, more training (and ratings) of instructors and ground crew, more spares etc etc

Comment

I'd have thought using the CASA will reduce its effective life time in its primary role, namely
            maritime patrolling

The obvious candidate for a heavy lift heli, IMHO, would be a Chinook, but cost would probably
            shoot that one down (pun not intended)

The reduction by 48 will probably be achieved by natural wastage and those who are legging it
            on their ticket before the grat becomes taxable...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
              I'd have thought using the CASA will reduce its effective life time in its primary role, namely
              maritime patrolling

The obvious candidate for a heavy lift heli, IMHO, would be a Chinook, but cost would probably
              shoot that one down (pun not intended)
              It think the CASA has to spend something like 90% of its hours on maritime patrol (due to the fact it was part funded by the EU).

They were talking fixed wing for strategic lift (as in ability to conduct rotations overseas etc).

Comment

Cessna Caravan or Pilatus Turbo-Porter is what they want to replace the Cessna 172s?

Comment

The article didn't seem to specify a type, just an engine. PT6.

Draw whatever conclusion you wish from that. The idea of using a Large transport aircraft to do some of the long distance Maritime work is interesting too.

Comment

It must be costing a mint to train pilots for multi-engine on the Casas. I sincerely hope that there is a decent block of sim time before they actually fly the real thing. Daft idea. Europe is not short of King Airs or the sim capacity to train first-time ME pilots.

regards
                    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                      It must be costing a mint to train pilots for multi-engine on the Casas. I sincerely hope that there is a decent block of sim time before they actually fly the real thing. Daft idea. Europe is not short of King Airs or the sim capacity to train first-time ME pilots.

regards
                      GttC
                      Daft idea. Training student pilot on complex PC-9's and EC-135's only to then go fly 172's once getting their wings.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        Europe is not short of King Airs ..... to train first-time ME pilots.

regards
                        GttC
                        Sure there is 1 in the don!

Comment

240 is basically too old to justify overhauling and the aviation market is full of good used Kingairs. They could have one in the morning if they really wanted.

regards
                          GttC

Comment

Are the current GOC of IAC and DCOS of fixed or rotary persuasion.

Comment

GOC AC is Both, though he spent much of his service as a silver swallow.
                              DCOS is Fixed wing, spent his more recent years as a Government Air taxi driver. Last taildragger qualified pilot in the Air Corps too I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X