US UK to provide aircover in future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US UK to provide aircover in future

I read in the paper on monday that the US and UK will patrol our skies when Bush is here next year.... disgraceful, an absolute embarassment of our nation, a government source has admitted the current and new aircraft will be entirely insufficient and useless and suggested that in future we will have to sign up to alliances to have our airspace patrolled by UK military in the case where this is necessary, because we havent got the resources and probably never will, similiar to the role they play in providing our long range SAR, if this is the case then what really is the point in keeping an air corps?

Im very disheartened to think we cant defend our sovereignity, this govt wont get my vote next time around.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Is this news to you? Ireland has never had a viable air defence.

It's not this government's fault alone, successive governments have ignored the issue. It doesn't matter who you vote for, no party is going to invest in capable fighter aircraft anytime soon.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Even if we did have fighters(sound of loud laughter in the background) they would only be operated between the hours of 9am to 4pm...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

"Even if we did have fighters(sound of loud laughter in the background) they would only be operated between the hours of 9am to 4pm..."

You forgot about the weekends.

Comment

No FM this is not news to us. It's just hard to read it in print. If our grandfathers were dead they would turn in their graves. The state has never had so much money and we still cant defend it ourselves.

We are not a war or are likely to be so we dont need a huge fighter force but I believe a token squadron needs to be in place to pass on training methods a small show of force. They could even support UN ground troops like the Sweeds did for us in the Congo.

Comment

Eh, "our grandfathers" were the very same. Ireland has never had a credible air-defence setup.

Comment

Sigh:o
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

we had better fire power in the late 40's & 50's. I'm sure that the IAC of the old would defeat the present IAC....PC9's or no PC9's. No offence boyz

Comment

During WWII didn't we have spitfires which were contempory fighters at the time. Did we make a decision not to maintain a fighter force or did it just happen over time.

When was the last time we had a contempory fighter ?

Comment

Eh, "our grandfathers" were the very same.

Our grandfather's wasted their lives fighting to free this nation from British rule and when they succeeded they founded a political party called Fianna Fail. 80 years later this "republican" party has decided that the grandchildren of those men who were murdered by our grandparents must defend this banana republic.

If I wasn't middle-aged, cynical and anti-everything republican, I would be embarrassed.
                    sigpic
                    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                    My favourite moment was when the
                    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                      Our grandfather's wasted their lives fighting to free this nation from British rule and when they succeeded they founded a political party called Fianna Fail. 80 years later this "republican" party has decided that the grandchildren of those men who were murdered by our grandparents must defend this banana republic.
                      I've read this five times now and there isn't one part of it I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                        Eh, "our grandfathers" were the very same.

If I wasn't middle-aged, cynical and anti-everything republican, I would be embarrassed.
                        You'd rather they didn't free Ireland?

Comment

I've read this five times now and there isn't one part of it I understand.

Try adult education.

You'd rather they didn't free Ireland?

I'd rather they hadn't wasted their time and, in some cases, their lives to have their memories urinated upon by Fianna Fail. I'd also rather that our government warned other political leaders not to come here where they cannot be protected rather than suffer the shame of having foreigner soldiers tasked with protecting our country.
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Well it doesn't seem like there is a reason to have a bunch of fighters since Ireland isn't really fighting too many wars.....but even too-neutral-to-join-the-UN/EU-Switzerland has F-18's!! I'm sure many would disagree, but y'all need a conservative to increase defence spending.
                            "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Maybe I should

Or

Maybe you should read it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X