Selection Process for new kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selection Process for new kit?

Have a question for ye lads, I know when new equipment is required tenders are sought and then usualy trialled by groups of individuals in that particular field such as the trialling of different webbing and bergen combinations during the selection process for the IPLCS, What I was wondering was what sort of other alternatives were considered and if there are small amounts of other bergens, chest rigs, battlevests patrol packs ect, Ie the designs rejected by the DF are there quantities of these lying in stores somewhere in Irish DPM or are they generally returned to the manufacturer? I ask because iv seen some of the trial versions of the fleece/barrack jacket knocking about and I got talking to a lad that collects uniforms and that sort of militaria and he had a set of Irish Desert Pattern dpms he picked up after they were trialled!Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Celtic-Warrior; 8 February 2012, 11:47. Reason: Misspelling Damn Touchscreen!
    Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
    Have a question for ye lads, I know when new equipment is required tenders are sought and then usualy trialled by groups of individuals in that particular field such as the trialling of different webbing and bergen combinations during the selection process for the IPLCS, What I was wondering was what sort of other alternatives were considered and if there are small amounts of other bergens, chest rigs, battlevests patrol packs ect, Ie the designs rejected by the DF are there quantities of these lying in stores somewhere in Irish DPM or are they generally returned to the manufacturer? I ask because iv seen some of the trial versions of the fleece/barrack jacket knocking about and I got talking to a lad that collects uniforms and that sort of militaria and he had a set of Irish Desert Pattern dpms he picked up after they were trialled!Anyone have any ideas?
    Im not sure about battle vests and backpacks but for stuff like trial wet gear, boots, DPM fleeces etc the person who was issued it normally got to keep it as an issued item.

Comment

iv a plce bergin in irish DPM so there knocking about
      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Withe regard to Trials ordnance it is all returned to OCES in the DFTC at the end of the trial period.Trial uniforms are held onto by the individual they are issued to.When Clancy Bks closed down a few years back there was boxes of trials kit moved to the DFTC.Alot of items that were never issued.For example the OG PLCE Entrenching tool belt pouch.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Ah ok i was wondering what happened to it as occasionally bits turn up that arent regular issue!
          Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mercurydoc View Post
            http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Irish-Defence...item1c2267926d

was gonna bid but have an issued suit
            Interesting, the person is located in Baldoyle. I was going to post a question pointing out that it was not an unusual or rare item, that it was standard issue one of thousands that are on issue. Then ask the question did the seller know that it was illegal to sell military kit in Ireland.

Comment

The velcro arm pocket is unusual

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                Interesting, the person is located in Baldoyle. I was going to post a question pointing out that it was not an unusual or rare item, that it was standard issue one of thousands that are on issue. Then ask the question did the seller know that it was illegal to sell military kit in Ireland.
                That was one of the trial wet gear and not the current issue type.

Comment

Indeed.I may be wrong but i believe they were made by Arktis.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                    That was one of the trial wet gear and not the current issue type.
                    Originally posted by apod View Post
                    Indeed.I may be wrong but i believe they were made by Arktis.
                    Looks like a better standard suit, from where I'm looking anyway...
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                    X