Fell of the back of a Lorry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fell of the back of a Lorry?

Army Lorries...we all know them. Many of us have travelled in them on the way to different things..camps,ranges,exercises etc..
    But how safe are they really?
    Anyone who has seen the Piranhas will notice the 4 point harness in all the passenger seating...and these vehicles are pretty solid..
    However,the average army lorry,has 2 benches at the back and normally carries about 16 in what is little more than a cargo area.
    Is this a safe and ideal method of carrying passengers? How many of us have suffered injuries while using this method of transport?
    Personally I was involved in 2 minor incidents.. One was after a marathon drive from Cork to Kildare...weighed down with flak jacket,webbing,and weapon. On arrival at Kildare,the tailboard was jammed so we had to climb over it to get out..after 4 hours sitting in the back of the truck,our legs were less than useful,and both of us in the rear,collapsed in a heap on the ground...No serious injuries..just scratches and damaged pride(it was outside the Guardroom in Kildare..such laughter.:( ). The following day..on the way over to the curragh a horse ran onto the road into the path of the truck,forcing the driver to make an emergency stop,and sending the passengers in the rear flying(and rolling) to the rather solid front end of the truck..1 chipped elbow...one rifle butt in the head(his own..).

My Point is...though the army drivers are in my opinion some of the best drivers in the country are the trucks a safe and appropriate means of carrying passengers? Should they be fitted with some sort of basic restraint system for passengers in the rear? I am not asking for cushions on the benches..just a modern method of transport.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

I love the camouflage on the truck I had to look three times before I could see it :D

I suppose the only time I feel safe in the back of a truck is when its full, at least then if the breaks are applied suddenly you won't go shooting off towards the front of the truck and crack your skull!!!.

I can't really remember the last time I sat in the back of a truck POR :D but I do know that we rarely use them to transport troops except during deployments and if it was a real deployment would you want your troops belted into the truck, what happens if you’re ambushed?

Having said that if units still use trucks to transport to and from training nights then YES there should be some kind of restraint made available.

Comment

Trucks are of course totally unsuitable and unsafe for transporting troops. Four soldiers died in Lebanon because they were travelling in the back of a soft top vehicle. In fact it is probably illegal to transport people in the backs of trucks due to the implementation of the rear seat belt rule in cars.

Two points. Troops and stores should not be carried in the same vehicle under any circumstances. This excludes personal weapons of course. And under no circumstances should you ever ever get out of the vehicle until the driver has lowered the tail board.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

In these days of health and safety, this is a valid topic for discussion. I have seen guys sliding around the back of trucks on numerous occasions when the driver has lead boots on. As a truck driver, I find it hard to be gentle on the brakes while wearing combat boots.Maybe we should wear shoes? My wifes grandfather died a couple of weeks after falling out of a truck in Gormonston camp!

Comment

i agree, the only time i ever feel safe is when the truck is actually full. for instance the other day whilst on a shoot there were only about four of us in the back of it on security when the driver had to jam on sending two of us flying down the back of the truck....it was really painful i can assure you. we landed on a load of weapons and ammo boxes
          Glaine áir gcroí
          Neart ár ngeag agus
          beart de réir ár mbriathar

-"If people behaved in the way nations do, They would all be put in straight jackets" - Tennessee Williams

Comment

I recall one particular driver that nearly killed me in Kilworth. I was the only one in the back of the truck. We went between ranges to collect some lads. The driver hit a huge rock (the ones painted white to mark the range entrance) and sent me, the ammo and my rifle flying! It was not a good day :(
            I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

Personally I would much prefer the back of a lorry to a Transit any time. Nothing is worse than sitting in a cramped Tranny for long journeys, while MAN diesels or whatever allow me the chance to stretch out a bit. Most of us have probably had some accident (minor or otherwise) while in them, but all the lorries need is some type of seatbelt/restraining strap and the problem is solved. If someone thinks the lorry is too uncomfortable for travelling in then give him or her the local Boy Scouts number, because the lift in the lorry is the last rest they'll get before a night under the trees in Ballycroy or the Glen.

Comment

That's all well and good - travelling in the back of a truck can be fun, and wet, and cold. What happens when the first victim makes a claim from the Defence Forces? Little Recruit Johnny or Mary hurts their finger or breaks their hand while being bounced around unrestrained in a truck! What will we be saying when our money is going on legal fees and paying compo instead of to equipment ?

We have to look down the line here, societies attitude to compensation is changing. People are claiming left, right and centre. Perhaps restraints should be introduced before someone does claim.

Comment

We have to look down the line here, societies attitude to compensation is changing. People are claiming left, right and centre. Perhaps restraints should be introduced before someone does claim.
                  Humm good point. This may seem like a silly question but if there was an accident, who would the injured party claim from the Driver as an individual or the DF.

NO I'm not putting in a claim :D

Comment

travelling in a truck can be dangerous and freezing as it was this weekend going through the snow. But when the truck is full it is grand once you dont slide down the gap between the benchs Which is very painfull(I know) . when empty it is very dangerous though if the driver slams on the brakes he can send you flying the whole length of the truck and up hitting some stores.

Comment

As has been said already troops & stores should not travel together,barring personal weapons,kit,cefo etc.I personally know of a couple of individuals who have been injured,claimed & been discharged from the DF by way of a medical board.These things happen but all it takes to minimise it is good judgement & care on behalf of Dvrs.
                      Live long and prosper!

Comment

Some countries put the bench seats in the centre of the trucks which might make it easier to fit seat belts or might just mean you get the option of banging heads before you fall face first on the floor. Central seating also allows you a/ not to be shot in the back and b/ a better chance to stare down the locals and/or check out the talent.

Comment

Would that be like the newer trucks we have with three (or four) long benches?
                          Someone will get shot in the back though - perhaps not the person in the centre seat, but someone!
                          It's all well and good when the truck is full. Injuries usually occur when it's relatively empty though :(

Comment

did you ever fall out of an FFR in gormo earhart??????????????????????????????????????????? ??
                            Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

lol.
                              All FFR activities are held in strictest of confidence I don't believe I did fall out of one though.....

Comment

Working...
                              X