The future of Baldonnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of Baldonnel

Mod, please feel free to move this as you see fit.
    It has been suggested that one possable change for the Irish Air Corps is the sale of Baldonnel.
    While I would be in favor of a fairly drastic overhaul of the Air Corps, I don't think I can swallow this one.
    One possablity is the sale of the base as a working airport, this does seem very sensible, spend a few million on it and a very good airport could result, the objections of the local residents are, strangely enough, not too relevent, there was an airport there long before them. The approch road would have to be improved or replaced, no argument there, even if it continues as an air base, the damn road wants work! But from a flying point of veiw, I am told that the largest aircraft it is normaly suitable for is a Boeing 737, this need not be a problem, as this is one of the most common modern aircrafts, and removing even some of them from Dublin airport would be a great help.
    It does seem that it could be easly turned into a cargo only airport, there is plenty of warehousing space, [I would not imagin aircrafts being stored there], and with road improvments, acess to communication via the N7, it would not be difficult to add a rail link, [equaly applicable to passanger work too], the Dublin/Cork line passes fairly close to one side and Brennans toyland magic tramway is close to the other. But major runway extensions would be needed to handle large cargo aircrafts, while there is the space, I think, it would add considerably to the cost.
    Housing or industrial use are other possablities, or are they? I think this is far less possable then many would imagin, the general area seems not to be short of building land, and this huge demand for housing may not continue for much longer, I must confess to have very little understanding of the driving forces behind housing marketing and demand, but certainly as a package of land it would appear suitable, but no more then any other big flat space.
    It is wishfull thinking to belive, however, that there would be any financial gain for the DF/DoD from this, even if there were money gained, say by the sale to private enterprise,[ this remains optional] it would be quickly sponged up by mcgreedy for his horsey friends.
    There is then the thorny problem of what happens to the Air-Corps, but I'll have to leave that for a futher post.
    Comments on this lot anyone???????
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

This post is very relevant, so it stays here.

While the plan may work in theory, the sceptic in me believes that the AC would come off second best as a result.

As Turkey says, there's no guarantee the money generated from any sales or rental of space would be ploughed back into the AC. I also believe that eventually the private end of things would push the AC into a tiny corner of the Don, with military operations becoming secondary to commercial concerns.

Incidentally, the billboards advertising the nearbuy business park once featured a picture of a passenger jet. Coincidence?
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

xxxxx
      Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:42.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

It's only a hobby anyway right?
        Is this a joke? Keep you're posts on topic.
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

xxxxx
          Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:43.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Comment

Turkey, it makes no odds who was there first, the residents or the airfield, they still have a legal right to object to any development or even current practice, even if they have just moved into the area.
            There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today Chatfield
            Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty GCB OM GCVO

Comment

Macca, that would not suprise me if it was true, 'does sound a bit Oirish thou'

Lordinajamjar................... oh, forget it!!!!!!

Comment

Remember the locals in wicklow are objecting to the DF using the artillery ranges there,even though the DF were there long before the locals..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

xxxxx
                  Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:43.

Comment

You also have to look at the fact that if this was sold and opened up to commercial possibilities, Dublin Airport wouldn't sit with it. Baldonnel would essentially become Ryanair International Airport, so there's a whole crapload of revenue lost by Dublin when they switch from to Baldonnel. It could easily become Stansted Part II at a time when Dublin probably wouldn't mind getting closer to being an international hub.
                    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by lordinajamjar
                      and just maybe we will finally elect a goverment that will wake up to the fact that our current defence capabilities are sorely lacking.
                      Are you in the Phoenix-North or Phoenix-South constituency then?

Comment

YJ, ya mean they have split the park in two! :D :D :D

Comment

xxxxx
                          Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:44.

Comment

I dont think selling Baldonnel would be good for the aircorps. However other airforces around the world share bases and it should be consider as an option. I think the brits do, dont they?

In fairness the government has put back most of the money from DF property sales back into re-equipment. If they did the same for money raised from say sharing it with cargo airlines, then it might be very worthwhile for the IAC.

Also as time goes on and the country gets richer, sooner or later the Government is going to HAVE to purchase 8/12 MODERN fighter jets. Its become clear its something we need and I think if we had them, it would satisfy most of our defence needs and the aircorps would look quite respectable abroad(historic moment!).

We may never join NATO but defending our own airspace is just one of those things were going to have to do. I dont know how much money would be generated from sharing an airbase but a joint airbase would help keep costs down and might provide pilots with those extra flying hours.

Comment

Anyone else find it sad that another EU country will have to spend millions of euros to send some aircraft to patrol YOUR skies over EU summits? Not that I'm rubbing it in or anything, just that's the state it has come to. Heck even just 3 F-16s would be a start.
                              "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X