Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armed Irish Jets a reality.. well kind of ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Irish Jets a reality.. well kind of ..

xxxxx
    Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 14:21.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Now if only Ryanair would buy into this we'll finally have dozens of armed Irish jets all over the country defending our skies day and night.
    I'd use the term 'Irish' very loosely when talking about Ryanair. They're based in the UK & do most of their flying from there.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I dont see how a bunch of transiting airliners fitted with chaff or lasers could even jokingly be described as armed..
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
        I dont see how a bunch of transiting airliners fitted with chaff or lasers could even jokingly be described as armed..
        What is a flare fell into a heap of oily rags?

Nasty.

Comment

Unless all attacking aircraft could first be swaddled in oily rags it wouldnt be much of an air defence fighter:D
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
            I'd use the term 'Irish' very loosely when talking about Ryanair. They're based in the UK & do most of their flying from there.
            Ryanair head office is in Dublin, company is registered in Ireland, aircraft are on Irish register, company was formed in Ireland....

Comment

Unless all attacking aircraft could first be swaddled in oily rags it wouldnt be much of an air defence fighter:D
              Laughing aside, commercial aricraft deploying flares over built-up areas is a serious concern and one reason that systems on the ground near airports are being considered.

Comment

What about infra-red systems?

Comment

What about infra-red systems?
                  DIRCM systems certainly would be more appropriate. The probability of a kill for an airliner hit by manpads is around 70% according some sources.

Comment

A friend of mine is in the Air Corps cadet's and he was told that his class will be the first to fly armed aircraft in the country.
                    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

No offence Joker, but;Bristol fighter, Se-5a, Gladiator, Hurricane, Seafire, Spitfire, Hudson, Vampire, Fouga, Cessana???, Marchettie,
                      I've left a few out but it is almost 01.00, all armed, all have served in the Irish Air Corps.

Or did I miss something:flagwave:
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Almost positive but he mentioned some form of missle's. Maybe wrong, I dont claim to be an Air Corps expert by any means but just thought id put my point accross.
                        If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

You could arm the Pc-9's or any other aircraft for that matter with a heat seaking missle if you wished eg Sidewinder
                          All it takes are wings that can handle the weight, a weapons plyon, a sight and some wiring.
                          "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

I'm sure Iranian Airlines would agree wholeheartedly.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                            My favourite moment was when the
                            Originally posted by hedgehog
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                            X