Why did the US get involved in World War 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the US get involved in World War 1

Watching a discovey channel program on world war 1 the other day I began to wonder to myself why exactly did the US get involved in that war? After all it was a war between 2 empires for supremacy. I know that the sinking of the Lusitania supposidly brought them in but that was just the excuse. What exactly was the motive? Any suggestions?

Comment

They were doing the dress rehearsals for Iraq.

Comment

The Lusitania was sunk in May 1915. The US declared war in April 1917. So that theory is a washout. Were the Germans dabbling in Mexican politics at the time?
        sigpic
        Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
        My favourite moment was when the
        Originally posted by hedgehog
        red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

There was an incident where a telegram supposedly from Germany encouraging the Mexicans to declare war on the US was intercepted, many suspect the telegram was in fact a British setup.

The Germans also began unrestricted submarine warfare in the Atlantic just before the Yanks declared war.

Comment

Zimmerman telegram if I remember correctly.

There was also the issue of the massive financial aid that the allies recieved prior to 1917, from American financiers, (organised by J.P.Morgan), and it has been suggested that the Americans entered the war because they wished to secure their financial intrests in Europe.

Comment

Working...
            X