Armed Marchetti's flying CAP over Dublin now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Marchetti's flying CAP over Dublin now

Two Marchettis, one clearly armed with pods. One not. Flying circuits over the city centre at the moment. With GASU EC-135 flying circuits at a lower level.

Must be some important bods in the castle.

Or the pessismistic view, Bertie is wasting your tax dollars by taking his new Lear on a test run.
    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Was wondering about that myslef cos I heard propellor driven aircraft cirling over near UCD yesterday and today for ages. Flying low too.

Comment

Yeah, should be able to take on any armed microlights that threaten the meeting of ministers (by day anyway).

Comment

A quick feature was just on TV3 within the last 5 minutes with regard to this. It was officially confirmed that a Marchetti was on CAP, with orders to shoot down any aircraft that were a threat.

The report mentioned the Air Corps have no capability to shoot down, let alone investigate any jet aircraft who were a threat. And went on to say the RAF would have to be brought in for this.

There were quick glimpses of a pilot strapping into a Fouga and the cockpit of the Casa (I think)

Comment

Marchetti's on CAP !! :D I have seen it all now !!

Comment

Kamakaze perhaps? I imagine a marchetti would bake a fair mess if it went head to head with a 737. However the real risk is light engined aircraft...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

all truth be told, do you think that the pilot of the armed marchetti took it serious? do you think dat he was thinking "im flying to protect ireland, im the savior of the skies ya ya ya etc" or was he thinking "god, what do i do if something actually happens??dis machine couldnt peel an orange..." be serious in replies..:confused:

Comment

Secret orders for IAC pilots, engaged in CAP over Dublin during 2004 presidency:
                  "In the event of any incident, however small, place your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye"

:D :confused: :D
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Even France has a superior Air Corps. Anyone want to join the Faugh An Ballagh party? My motto is "Screw the children, we need jets!"

(oh and I mean that first part in a non-Michael Jackson way :D )
                    "Everyone's for a free Tibet, but no one's for freeing Tibet." -Mark Steyn. What an IMO-centric quote, eh?

Comment

Well I'll tell you this much, if the pilot was having a doss and not looking around and a microlight flys from Weston and happens to fall on Dublin without him, or the guy in the other Marchetti noticing noticing he'd have a bit of explaining to do.

The main reason they were probably put up there is in case the media, or some nut (or both :D ) decided to gate crash the EU conference from the air in a helicopter in order to make a point about our lack of air defences... but how likely is that given the potential consequences?!

Comment

on the topic i have also been graced with gasing upon an actual FLYING air corps jet!
                        Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Re: .....

Originally posted by nonexistantfoo
                          The main reason they were probably put up there is in case the media, or some nut (or both :D ) decided to gate crash the EU conference from the air in a helicopter in order to make a point about our lack of air defences... but how likely is that given the potential consequences?!
                          Now would'nt that be interesting to see. Might buck up the government to actually stop spending money on keeping themselves comfortable and start thinking of protecting their people. I mean is it not the responsibility of the state (government) to protect the citizens of the state?

Comment

I heard that they were armed with 20mm cannons and only had xx rounds
                            Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                            http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

Thje Warrior only packs a 7.62, no 20mm
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X