Fenneks, Leo 2s and CV90s going cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenneks, Leo 2s and CV90s going cheap

The Netherlands Ministry of Defence (MoD) is planning to sell 44 BAE Systems CV9035NL infantry fighting vehicles following the new cuts in the defence budget.
    The Royal Netherlands Army (RNLA) had disposed of Leopard 2A6 main battle tanks, a limited number of PzH2000 self-propelled howitzers and 40 anti-tank configured Fenneks due to budget cutbacks in 2011, according to Shephard.
    Since then the Fenneks are stored in a former United States Army Europe Prepositioned Organisational Materiel Site (POMS) site, along with 116 Leopard II and 32 PzH2000s.
    MoD also intends to sell most of the heavy equipment, which is stored in its facilities, and also plans to use as a source of spare parts, to support the fleet of Leopard II based support vehicles such as Kodiak armoured engineering vehicle and Buffel recovery vehicle.
    The vehicles, which are expected to be put up for sale, are currently part of the 45th mechanised infantry battalion and include CV90s and another 35 Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Fenneks, apart from stored vehicles.

The Dutch Defence Minister Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert has revealed the disintegration of infantry unit based in Ermelo, as part of personnel and equipment reductions within all three services.

MoD plans to retain defence forces, which are fully funded, and are able to operate in the full spectrum of military operations, according to Hennis-Plasschaert.

Netherlands is also planning to sell 12 new wheeled Boxer armoured vehicles, which are infantry battalion, and yet to be delivered and are scheduled to join the infantry battalion.

In 2004, MoD had ordered 184 CV9035NL IFVs to replace the ageing YPR765A1 and eight CV90 driver training vehicles

The Netherlands Ministry of Defence (MoD) is planning to sell 44 BAE Systems CV9035NL infantry fighting vehicles following the new cuts in the defence budget.

The article is from september, the finns have bought a couple hundred of the leopards for about €2m a piece, it's a pity we've already got the LTAVs as those fenneks are probably cheap as **** now.
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

All i want for Christmas is ... 24 L2A6's, 8 PzH2000, and a hovertank in a pear tree.

It would be nice though...

Comment

Fennek would have 2 disadvantages, say we equipped the Cav Sqns with some. They would have Fennek, LATVs & MOWAGs (2 versions) - way too complex for a smaller DF. Plus the anti-armour Fennek is equipped with Spike (not Javelin) and only carries 5 missiles.

Now Leopards for 1 ACS that is a different matter

Comment

cv 9035 to replace the scorpions...... oh ya we are broke nuts may be next time
        Last edited by madmark; 18 December 2013, 23:11.
        Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Plus the anti-armour Fennek is equipped with Spike (not Javelin) and only carries 5 )
          If you need to engage more than 5 tanks with a Fennek or any other scout vehicle, you're in the wrong war.

Comment

Originally posted by madmark View Post
            the Danish CV9035's were very, very popular with UK forces in Afghanistan - they seemed to have good reliability, and lots of firepower. if you wanted a dependable, effective and air transportable 'stick' to take to some of the less desirable locations currently on offer, the CV90 would be a very good place to start. 35mm, it turns out, makes a right fcuking mess of most things...

Comment

What was the opinion on the Swedish cv 90s in Liberia? Didn't they carry a 40mm weapon

Comment

Forgot about them

Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                If you need to engage more than 5 tanks with a Fennek or any other scout vehicle, you're in the wrong war.
                Maybe recce anti-armour screen

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                What was the opinion on the Swedish cv 90s in Liberia? Didn't they carry a 40mm weapon
                They do

Comment

MOWAGs (2 versions)
                  There is six variants in service but they are all Piranha IIIH.

The Army hasn't purchased seconded hand armoured vehicles since the Comet's and hopefully that continues.
                  I wonder what the sale price of twelve new Boxer APC's is.

Comment

Yes the 2 particular versions I was referring to being the CRV and MRV (the fit being different meaning crews may not be interchangible)

Comment

Yes the 2 particular versions I was referring to being the CRV and MRV (the fit being different meaning crews may not be interchangible)
                      thats like saying a rifleperson and the gpmg gunner re not interchangeable.
                      Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                        The Army hasn't purchased seconded hand armoured vehicles since the Comet's and hopefully that continues.
                        Have you read any newspapers since 2008? EU,IMF, Troika?? This kit is vastly superior to anything the DF has or is likely to be written into any tender document for the next 25 years.

Comment

thats like saying a rifleperson and the gpmg gunner re not interchangeable.
                          I'm not sure about the interior working of the MRV and CRV, but I do know one is a RWS and the other has a turret (so I assume that they aren't exactly the same?). Are troopers trained on both on the relevant course?

If a rifleperson hasn't done the GPMG, they aren't.

Comment

if any soldier needs more than 2 minutes playing with a GPMG to get it to fire lots and lots of whizzy-bangs in broadly the direction he wants them to go in, then i'd question that soldiers ability to tie shoelaces, use velcro and lick ice cream.

its a gun: it has a pointy end, a blunt end, a trigger, a bolt, a belt of ammunition and a numbered wheel to determine how fast it goes. this is not rocket science.

Comment

I'm not sure about the interior working of the MRV and CRV, but I do know one is a RWS and the other has a turret (so I assume that they aren't exactly the same?). Are troopers trained on both on the relevant course?

Back in the AML days, PDF crews were trained in both 90 and 20 versions of the turrets, and given the size of Cavalry Corps, it'd be crazy not to have crews trained on both platforms
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X