Potential troop missions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential troop missions

Looks like the DF weren't spoilt for choice when we decided to go back to UNIFIL and join UNDOF

I was surprised at the amount of officer posts they turned down

UN REQUESTS FOR DEFENCE FORCES PERSONNEL WHERE NOMINATIONS WERE NOT POSSIBLE OR ASSETS UNAVAILABLE
    Mission Nature of Request
    United Nations Missions in Sudan (UNMIS) Sudan (2006)
    Nominations for Officer appointments at mission HQ
    United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) (2013)
    Nominations for Judicial Affairs Experts
    United Nations Office for West Africa (UNOWA) (2013)
    Nomination for post of Senior Military Adviser
    United Nations Mission in the Republic of South Sudan (UNMISS) (2011)
    Engineer Company
    United Nations Office of the African Union (UNOAU) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2010)
    Nominations for Planning Officer appointments
    United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN) (2009)
    Nomination for post of Chief Military Adviser UNMIN
    United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) (2009)
    Nominations for Military Liaison Officers and a Military Adviser
    United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia (UNOMIG) (2008)
    Nomination for post of Deputy Chief Military Observer for UNOMIG
    United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) (2008)
    Nomination for post of Chief Military Observer for UNMOGIP
    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Have to say I'm very surprised at the lack of requests for troops

General request for troops for UNAMID
      Engineer Coy for UNMISS
      Last edited by DeV; 8 May 2014, 20:48.

Comment

Have to say I'm very surprised at the lack of requests for troops
        Money?
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
          Money?
          ?? Who's??

This list is of missions that we have been asked by international organisations to provide troops to, in the case of the UN they will pay you soon money for your troops and equipment. Some of the UN ops are very under strength!

For example, we were asked to provide an Engr Coy to UNMISS, it is probably a higher risk mission (25 UN personnel have died in 3 years), it is a Chapter VII mission but UNMISS's authorised strength is up to 12,500 military personnel, the current strength is only 7,500
          Last edited by DeV; 8 May 2014, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
            ?? Who's??

This list is of missions that we have been asked by international organisations to provide troops to, in the case of the UN they will pay you soon money for your troops and equipment. Some of the UN ops are very under strength!
            All of those missions have to be paid initially by the country... and then not all money is recouped .

Comment

I know but I would have expected to see requests for troops from a number of missions, which would have been turned down.

If we aren't asked we can't deploy personnel

Comment

Maybe the UN knows Ireland wont shell out the readies to get troops out to a warzone - I think we have turned down a few missions before, so mayhap now they just look over us for the proper warry stuff.
                Possibly were more suited to a (long) post war stabilisation force type mission in their eyes?
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Maybe but that doesn't stand up for Liberia, Eriteria, Chad, East Timor etc

The Minister's answer to the question is for all organisations (not just the UN).

Comment

I know but I would have expected to see requests for troops from a number of missions, which would have been turned down.

If we aren't asked we can't deploy personnel
                    There's no point in the UN asking for a Bn sized contribution since we wont be able to provide one, ditto for a Heli detachment. I'm sure the UN bureaucrats of which there are probably legions figured out what we're able to provide and tailor their requests accordingly.
                    Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

They didn't even ask for a coy!

I doubt we have sufficient resources (or personnel since the reorg) to deploy a Engr Coy

Comment

No request for personnel (apart from 2 HQ SOs) or vessels from EUNAVFOR

Comment

No request for personnel (apart from 2 HQ SOs) or vessels from EUNAVFOR
                          From Dail debate 12 December 2012.
                          Ireland received an invitation from the operational commander of Operation Atalanta of the European Union Naval Force Somalia, EU NAVFOR, to contribute an autonomous vessel protection detachment, AVPD, to the operation.

Comment

the UN hadn't cleared the tab for Unifil 1 until some years after the mission had ended, but I wonder are missions under strenght because no body else is willing to contribute because of funding?
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

It would probably be seen as a little bit cynical, or as a political fudge but, what if a 'compromise' to reaching the (UN inspired) target 0.7% of GDP as a spend on the Overseas Aid budget commitment for 2015; was announced as a ...Large... Defence Forces commitment to a worthy UN mission in Africa for 2015?!

€20million was cited as the reduction this year from spending on Overseas Aid last year.... How much of a mission would €20million get - excluding UN reimbursement?

Said stated compromise could be allocated as an increase in the Overseas Aid commitment or, DF spending...whichever.
                              Personally, I wouldn't consider it a cynical manoeuver at all if acknowledged up front...

Comment

Working...
                              X