2004 EBD P.N.C.O Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 EBD P.N.C.O Course

Well, its that time of the year again when people start asking about the pots course, so I thought I may aswell start it off. I am hoping to be selected this year and a the prelim weekend is not to far off does anybody have any idea of what the fitness test involves or anything else that people would like to tell me in advance?
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Ask your unit staff.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

tried that already got no joy!

Comment

Maybe they dont know either?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goes something like this:

For the fitness element
          - height,weight etc taken
          - run 2 laps of cathal brugha barracks in 11.5mins (13 for females)
          - 1min of sit ups, 1 of push ups (minimum of 20 each i think)

Dont have to pass initially but it helps, the aim is to have you pass it by the end of the course.

They also do some basic testing to gauge your standard of weapons training. Just have everything off the top of your head when you turn up.

Then if i remember correctly you head down to kilbride where they'll give a brief intro to MOI, mostly demonstrations.

Some pointers I learned (eventually).
          -act like a robot, when you're fell in pick a point in front and dont move your glance at all.
          -you're going back to recruit style foot/arms drill, over emphasise eventhing
          -never look like you've spare time to chat etc
          -make sure you polish your KFS set or your entire platoon will be up writing essays all night
          -dont contest anything they say, you wont get any thanks for it
          -always know your weapon number and have it wrote in your notebook too
          -make it your business to know all the instructors names and ranks from the beginning
          -make sure every single item of your kit is impeccable and waterproofed as necessary i.e. ziplock bags
          -the better your fitness, the easier your life on the course will be
          -dont be afraid to take the initiative if someone hasnt been assigned to a task (if theres no OS, you march them to where they're to be)

From my own experience the MOI element was the easier part and it wasnt until I was in the Glen on tactics that I realised it. Just let everything role off you, dont take anything personally and Id even go to the extent of saying enjoy it. For a reserve course I think it has a lot to offer, the best of luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Queenie

- run 2 laps of cathal brugha barracks in 11.5mins (13 for females)
            How many miles is 2 laps of the barracks?

Originally posted by Queenie

They also do some basic testing to gauge your standard of weapons training. Just have everything off the top of your head when you turn up.

That may pose a bit of a problem considering I have never done weapons before!

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
              How many miles is 2 laps of the barracks?
              2 laps is approx. 1.5 miles

That may pose a bit of a problem considering I have never done weapons before!
              Obviously its going to be harder for you but they are aware that the likes of the medics would be at a disadvantage. Read up on the Steyr and the Bren, you'll find plenty online. It wont help your weapons handling but at least you'll know the names of parts etc.

Comment

JOKER YOU'LL BE GRAND...

queene dont go telling him ALL the tricks.... sure twill be no fun then!
                Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Sure thats only the tip of the iceberg. You're never safe from THEM! If you do 'X' they'll say you should have done 'Y'.

Comment

TOET and fire is a requirement for the course.

Yes, I know about medics and weapons. However, other units are quite happy to take experienced 3* through the Steyr. Attending weekend 1 and saying "Sorry Boss" is completely the wrong way to kick off.

It's the busy period for ranges NOW

As for other stuff, TIM and Bailer went through so search the archives here for the screed and other stuff; it comes up every year.

The PT test must be done. No way round it. Your own fault if you don't get fit now.

Fitness :

555513 is the best way to remember

55 Pressups in a minute. Mod PU for ladies.
                    55 situps in a minute. Legs are held.
                    do the run in 13. (if you're young and male this is you. Older or female lesser situps (not much though and longer for the run (again, not much. Don't count on this. ))

Comments on Queenies'

-act like a robot, when you're fell in pick a point in front and dont move your glance at all. Yes but should be already
                    -you're going back to recruit style foot/arms drill, over emphasise eventhing. Yes but correctly
                    Yes but should be already

-make sure you polish your KFS set or your entire platoon will be up writing essays all night

-make it your business to know all the instructors names and ranks from the beginning

-make sure every single item of your kit is impeccable and waterproofed as necessary i.e. ziplock bags

-dont be afraid to take the initiative if someone hasnt been assigned to a task (if theres no OS, you march them to where they're to be)

YES ! Excellent. Seek Responsibility - it's a principle of leadership. #

Corps people - know your speciality. you will probably use it. (except Arty but who knows ? The call for fire perhaps)

Inf - BREN and STEYR and MAP R inside out upside down and backwards. and blindfold in the pissing rain.

ALL : Personal Admin. Get it sorted. The course is no place to sort it. If you are using 58 web fair balls; go run an S&M shop. The rest make sure your bought PLCE fits, is bungied and FITS. Go do a 10-miler in CEFO. Then fill the ruck and do a 20-miler in CEMO. Hurts, doesn't it ?
                    Now do it again; this time carry a sandbag or metal bar or something to approx the Bren . Ow, hurts, doesn't it ?
                    Now put a helmet on and do it again with everything. Neck hurting yet ?
                    Don't forget to wade a river which brings me nicely to boots.
                    At this stage you should know enuf to have a pair of Meindls/Matterhorns/Jesus Creepers/Gucci XYZ boots. The S&M freaks will wear them for the first time on the tac module.

If anyone wants TAC practice ask to go out with INF or other active units - we always need extra bods ( who will actually take part ) . Anyone showing this initiative I think is a better person than the next.

MOI :
                    A: Learn and memorize the screed. Find an open space where people won't jeer and shout it out.
                    B: Get used to public speaking. Ask an NCO or officer to try and let you do a simple lesson.

Anyone thinks I'm not serious think again. PNCO peeps aren't far from me.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

don't know about this year but in years gone past the prelim weekend is laid out on the joining instructions:

fitness test (2 mile run in under 15.5 minutes, 30 push ups in 1 min, 32 sit ups in 1 min - but this depends on age)

introduction to MOI (basic lessons & demos)

Weapons Handling (TOET standard on Steyr & Bren)

Written Map Reading test

These tests are not designed to assess your ability to be an NCO, just to test your to 3* Pte / 2* Tech standard

Aim to pass the physical despite what anyone tells you, cause the fitter you are the easier you will find the course and the less likely you are to suffer an injury

Comment

"2 mile run in under 15.5 minutes, 30 push ups in 1 min, 32 sit ups in 1 min"

Let's take the majority case

17-29 yr old male.

With these numbers he gets :

Run : Grade IV
                        Pushups : Grade IV
                        Situps : Grade IV.

Is that where you really want to be, going on a PNCO cse ?

Here are the G1's for that age group (I'll post the ladies too )

Run 3.2K : Men : < 12.35. Ladies < 14.35
                        Pressups in 60 sec : Men : > 54, Ladies > 54
                        Situps in 60 sec : Men : > 57, Ladies > 57.

Ladies Pressup is the ladies' one.

Comment

Well that was a pass in 2001, don't know about now....

& obviously that is the minimum pass

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim
                            Comments on Queenies'

-act like a robot, when you're fell in pick a point in front and dont move your glance at all. Yes but should be already
                            -you're going back to recruit style foot/arms drill, over emphasise eventhing. Yes but correctly

YES ! Excellent. Seek Responsibility - it's a principle of leadership. #

Dont be so bloody patronising! He asked for pointers and I gave him obvious ones that people trip up on year and year again.
                            Yes you are right, they "should be already" but generally they're not. Obviously with you being so sh*t hot and all you sailed through the POTS without ever being asked "Are you eyeballing me?" or breaking a sweat on a section in attack, but unfortunatly not everone is as perfect as you. If that were the case we'd all be in the reserve rangers wouldnt we?
                            If you've got some constructive criticism fire away, otherwise stop taking up board space with nonsensical comments!

Comment

didn't mean to be patronising.

Apologies.

Standing my ground though. What of the bits I said "already" to shouldn't be qualities a recruit about to be a 2* should have ?

Everything you said is correct; I wasn't taking offence with it.
                              All I'm saying is these are absolute basics which they should have already and if they don't why are they doing a PNCO. [ Colonel's daughters and first-born sons excepted :D ]

Plus what's wrong with showing someone where the top is ? I'm nowhere near it.

Comment

Working...
                              X