German U-Boat in Ardgroom, Kerry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German U-Boat in Ardgroom, Kerry

I was reading in a book "Shipwrecks of the Irish Coastline" by Edward Burke, I think, According to this book, there is a German U-Boat wreck in the waters off Ardgroom in Co Kerry, though studying Admiralty charts of the Kenmare River, I cannot find any wreck listed in that particular section of the river. Does anyone know or have any information regarding this?
    :-patriot:

check http://www.bearatourism.com/visitor/wrecks.htm for ref to 2 i kid you not, TWO u boat wrecks in the area.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Cheers for that, simialr idea to the book - Wonder why its not on the Admiralty charts though? - surely these would need to be listed on it for local fishing vessels etc waters are shallow enough, they would be a hazard for nets..

Comment

You may find this link of interest. http://www.uboat.net/boats/u31.htm

Comment

Interesting, it says NW, so what is this mystery U-Boat in ardgroom, Kerry.. excellent website Bulldemboots!

Comment

I think it's the Naval Institute are doing airborne laser surveys of the coast at the moment (they did Clew Bay in seven hours flying time), so maybe they will "surface" at some point.
            Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comment

Its being carried out for the Marine institute by GSI.

The Irish National Seabed Survey encompasses an area that is approximately ten times the size of Ireland's land area and represents one of the largest seabed mapping projects undertaken anywhere in the world. Maps that result from the survey are a pre-requisite for the policy evolution, management and sustainable development of Ireland's marine resources. This website is intended to show the range of the Irish National Seabed Survey and to provide a means for data access.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
              X