An alternative to RDF overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An alternative to RDF overseas

This idea would be almost as much RDF overseas as the pilot RDF overseas (discharge from RDF, join PDF).

Encourage RDF members to sign up for the Irish Rapid Response Corps.

A week training in Limerick with Irish Aid and a week in the Curragh with the DF.

Some people skills / experience / training would be very much in demand.

RDF personnel who have completed DF courses in UNTSI (eg CIMIC and Human Rights) could be very relevant, other DF qualifications could be as well.

And AFAIK job security is your own business, can be short notice (72 hrs) and it isn't clear if it is volunteering or paid

Just a thought

Fine if you want to do that type of work, but what if you want to actually do something military?
    For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

True

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
        Fine if you want to do that type of work, but what if you want to actually do something military?
        Azov Battalion Summer Program

Comment

Well seeing as we're sorting ourselves out, what about travelling to Turkey, nipping over to Syria and pitching in with the Kurds for a few weeks? Sure you'll get operational experience the PDF can only have wet dreams about.

DeV, we have European passports, we're free to travel to almost anywhere and get in as much trouble as we want with whomever we want. But I joined the Defence Forces to serve this country, if the DF and DOD are so loathe to utilise Reservists for operations overseas then they won't retain the people they have nor attract the people they want.

The diehards will eventually realise that there is more to life than giving so much to an organisation that offers nothing in return other than a few shitty man days.

Comment

I know S&S I was looking at it as a possible useful foot in the door

There could well be PDF personnel who are in it and in the past the DF have seconded personnel to GOAL and Concern.

Comment

The Rapid Reaction Corps has had RDF people in it. I think an RDF PA Sgt died while overseas with them.

Comment

S&S when do we leavie for turkurdistanovia?
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Goal and concern two organizations that 99% of the DF dont want anything to do with especially guys who served in Somalia chad Liberia

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    This idea would be almost as much RDF overseas as the pilot RDF overseas (discharge from RDF, join PDF).

Encourage RDF members to sign up for the Irish Rapid Response Corps.

A week training in Limerick with Irish Aid and a week in the Curragh with the DF.

Some people skills / experience / training would be very much in demand.

RDF personnel who have completed DF courses in UNTSI (eg CIMIC and Human Rights) could be very relevant, other DF qualifications could be as well.

And AFAIK job security is your own business, can be short notice (72 hrs) and it isn't clear if it is volunteering or paid

Just a thought
                    The RDF who were on those courses, CIMIC own their own business so getting overseas may be an issue.. I know most of the RDF guys from UNTSI and I must say, I would travel overseas with them any time.

Comment

I remember when I was in the TA there was a list of countries we were not allowed to go to without special permission (and I'm sure there were some that were just banned). They were all Warsaw Pact, places ending in "Stan", or other places that Thomas Cook don't have on their lists...

Does something similar not apply in Ireland?
                      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                        I remember when I was in the TA there was a list of countries we were not allowed to go to without special permission (and I'm sure there were some that were just banned). They were all Warsaw Pact, places ending in "Stan", or other places that Thomas Cook don't have on their lists...

Does something similar not apply in Ireland?
                        not for RDF

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                          The RDF who were on those courses, CIMIC own their own business so getting overseas may be an issue.. I know most of the RDF guys from UNTSI and I must say, I would travel overseas with them any time.
                          All 2 of them?

Good to hear though

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            All 2 of them?

Good to hear though
                            I know the LT and Sgt better than I know BSM and the Capt's..

Comment

Working...
                            X