PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stuff found on the web

restless
6th May 2017, 21:04
https://youtu.be/X0cppzIbSdU
Thought some of you might be interested in this.

na grohmiti
6th May 2017, 22:34
We are so lucky that none of our ships have gravity Davits any more. Such an overly complex launch and recovery procedure compared to the single point launcher in use here and by many other European navies.

restless
7th May 2017, 10:24
I wonder are they the very same avon seariders used today on the le ciara? if so they are tough little ribs, not a great bow design by todays standards but tough nevertheless.

Toolbox
7th May 2017, 16:43
Eh you guys do know that HMS Swift is LÉ Orla right?

The same davits are in still in active daily use and the Avon seariders are still in active daily use.

Although they are a bit like Triggers broom at this point, having had so many parts replaced etc since we got em.

restless
7th May 2017, 16:46
thought it was the ciara!

restless
7th May 2017, 17:32
We are so lucky that none of our ships have gravity Davits any more. Such an overly complex launch and recovery procedure compared to the single point launcher in use here and by many other European navies.

I know, what a faff, Id hate to be threading water waiting for that palaver

danno
7th May 2017, 18:36
Wonder what the drill is if a MOB goes off during a RAS?

na grohmiti
7th May 2017, 18:54
Same, but the ship doesnt stop.

Toolbox
7th May 2017, 19:24
thought it was the ciara!

HMS Swallow is LÉ Ciara

Toolbox
7th May 2017, 19:27
At all times while underway there is a designated rescue boat crew who while going about their normal duties will respond instantly to a man overboard.

They will close up, dress and launch with 2/3 mins.

Orion
7th May 2017, 19:31

The same davits are in still in active daily use and the Avon seariders are still in active daily use.

Although they are a bit like Triggers broom at this point, having had so many parts replaced etc since we got em.

The pre edit version made me laugh ... thought it was a nickname

hptmurphy
7th May 2017, 22:31
It is interesting that film was made in the same year we bought them.

A/TEL
7th May 2017, 23:49

Those seariders are well gone.......

New type are grey hulled with modern electronic systems.

Bought circa 2009 to replace orange hulled boats on Peacocks & Emer class.

na grohmiti
8th May 2017, 07:47
The boats are still unique in the fleet though, compared to what's used on the other ship types. Did they get diesel outboards or are they still using petrol?

hptmurphy
8th May 2017, 11:30
Original Seariders were known as 5.4 metre Class. Unsure of what the newer boats are called.

Our original boats came with Eithne, fitted wrong way round on the upper boat deck with a single 70hp Johnson Engine.

Aisling was the first of the PVs to be trialled with a Searider, was done one Wednesday afternoon in the basin,must check my diary for the specific date but it was 1988. We also tested a new Dunlop boat the same day against the searider but its driver position was found to be problematic. The Avon Rep presented a couple of us drivers with a nice Avon pen on the day.

danno
8th May 2017, 21:34
Same, but the ship doesnt stop.

Would you launch on the business side of the RAS if the ready boat is so deployed?

na grohmiti
8th May 2017, 21:43
I am at a loss as to the purpose of your question. I'm not working in an organisation who is currently involved in RAS. I suggest you ask someone who is. I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain you with their SOPs.

A/TEL
8th May 2017, 21:59
The boats are still unique in the fleet though, compared to what's used on the other ship types. Did they get diesel outboards or are they still using petrol?

Peacocks using 5.4m New Avon Sea Riders

P50s using Twin Petrol 4 stroke Deltas

P60s using inboard diesel MSTs

P31 is using Delta inboard diesels

Toolbox
9th May 2017, 12:08
Those seariders are well gone.......

New type are grey hulled with modern electronic systems.

Bought circa 2009 to replace orange hulled boats on Peacocks & Emer class.

100% correct, which is the Triggers broom reference.

danno
9th May 2017, 20:58
I am at a loss as to the purpose of your question. I'm not working in an organisation who is currently involved in RAS. I suggest you ask someone who is. I'm sure they'll be happy to entertain you with their SOPs.

Fair dues to you for being big enough to admit the lack of your info on this subject. I posed the question as it would appear risky to launch off the business side during a RAS lest the ships close to or bear away enexpectedly.

A/TEL
10th May 2017, 00:04
Fair dues to you for being big enough to admit the lack of your info on this subject. I posed the question as it would appear risky to launch off the business side during a RAS lest the ships close to or bear away enexpectedly.

In a real world RAS situation, (with large Navies US, RN etc) there is a guardship astern of the two vessels involved in the RAS. That ships role is to rescue a MOB if required. Not always available if its a solo ship tasking, but if working in a task group with more than 2 ships, it is utilised.